Parallel Universe

OGTEleven

This morning I visited a parallel universe. Time was set back two weeks. Everything in the universe was the same except that the mayor of New Orleans ordered everyone evacuated from the city just before Katrina struck.

He commandeered all of the school buses and loaded them up with all the people. He set them off down the highways. It looked like a good plan, but it went astray. Their was violence on many of the buses, particularly the ones that loaded up in poorer sections. Some were hijacked, and there were beatings rapes and murders. It was horrible.

The mayor and many in the media blamed George Bush for not having helped plan so that people would be safe. They said that three days on a bus drove people crazy and the violence began. Defenders of Bush and others in the media blamed the mayor and governor who should have exerted more local control. All agreed that this tragedy was horrible and everyone would have been better off if they just stayed in the Superdome for a while. Everyone seemed to spend more time blaming and less time fixing.

After that I decided to try a few more times. One time the storm shifted and destroyed many buses. One time the storm shifted away completely and everyone was mad that the governments panicked so much. Another time someone came up with a plan to quickly shore up the levees. That plan failed.

Of the 4 million different scenarios all ended up differently. The one thing they had in common was the part I put in bold.

Oh yeah, one time everything worked perfectly. In that one scenario, each part of the government took full credit for themselves.

This morning I visited a parallel universe.  Time was set back two weeks.  Everything in the universe was the same except that the mayor of New Orleans ordered everyone evacuated from the city just before Katrina struck. 

He commandeered all of the school buses and loaded them up with all the people.  He set them off down the highways.  It looked like a good plan, but it went astray.  Their was violence on many of the buses, particularly the ones that loaded up in poorer sections.  Some were hijacked, and there were beatings rapes and murders.  It was horrible. 

The mayor and many in the media blamed George Bush for not having helped plan so that people would be safe.  They said that three days on a bus drove people crazy and the violence began.  Defenders of Bush and others in the media blamed the mayor and governor who should have exerted more local control.  All agreed that this tragedy was horrible and everyone would have been better off if they just stayed in the Superdome for a while.  Everyone seemed to spend more time blaming and less time fixing.

After that I decided to try a few more times.  One time the storm shifted and destroyed many buses.  One time the storm shifted away completely and everyone was mad that the governments panicked so much.  Another time someone came up with a plan to quickly shore up the levees.  That plan failed.

Of the 4 million different scenarios all ended up differently.  The one thing they had in common was the part I put in bold.

Oh yeah, one time everything worked perfectly.  In that one scenario, each part of the government took full credit for themselves.

431514[/snapback]

Can I have my 60 seconds back please?