The root canal I just had has improved my outlook

nodnarb

Here's what I think:

I think Mularkey & Co. think we have a very, very good football team that's capable of not only contending for a playoff berth, but going deep into the tournament.

As a result of their belief, I think they were as shocked as we were. I like our coaches a lot. I think we're in good hands. We lost a flukey game, and it's always hard for us Bills fans to handle those. It feels like an injustice. If feels like a Cosmic Violation.

We shut them down on D. We made Leftwich look like a 1st round bust. For 58 minutes. On offense, we moved the ball against a REALLY good D. It wasn't the greatest show on Earth, but we moved the ball. But you don't win many games when your 3 10-play drives result in 0 points.

The two fumbles did us in. THere's NO WAY IN HELL that team was going to drive as far as we drove to score points. The first turnover - not drew's fault, not Moulds' fault (we should be happy he's okay after that hit) - the defender saw Drew's shoulder square to Moulds, and he took off after him. It was a good play. I don't like swing passes unless the defender is playing WAAY off. He wasn't. I thought it was the wrong play call against that defensive alignment. But hey. I was on the couch, not on the payroll.

Again, we lost because our errors and the plays made against us came at the absolute worst moments in the game. That happens to us all too often. I'm concerned that a veteran guy like Clements has to be reminded to bat the ball away when you're ahead and you have them in 4th and anything with mere seconds on the clock. You don't go for the pick. I knew that, why didn't he? Why wasn't he prepared for his job on that play before the snap? No, I'm not blaming our coaches. I'm putting this one square on a collection of our best players: Moulds, for putting the ball in the wrong hand and giving up a fumble at their 7 yard line. And Clements, for the aforementioned gaffe. I'm not going to say anything about the CV hold because I didn't see it - maybe MM will comment after reviewing the tape.

In conclusion: I think the Bills will come out fighting, and we're going to see them explode in all 3 phases. Expect good ST play, 3 offensive TDs, and continued good D in Oakland next week.

Bills, 30, Oakland 19

If they don't win, you absolutely HAVE to temper your enthusiasm. Because the Jags and Raiders are only the middle-of-the road in terms of the difficult games we'll face this season.

You can't blame a game like that on the coaching. No, you can't. Two fumbles, an alleged hold, one dumb ass play by our #1 CB, and an unbelievable vertical leap by Earnest Wilford conspired to beat us in a game we controlled all day long.

That's not being outcoached. That's being outplayed.

Let's hope the guys are pissed and properly motivated.

I had a root canal 10 days ago. I'm even more crabby now. I don't blame the Coach. I blame the " Star " players who can't make plays in the clutch.

29894[/snapback]

I don't know what you guys are complaining about root canal wise. I had two done two years ago and they weren't any worse than a trip to the normal dentist. Couldn't have taken more than 40 minutes a tooth and only one trip. You should have had one done 25 years ago when you had to make multiple trips to the guy. That is really where root canals got their rep.

Now the Bills, that's another story.

Great post. I agree - you CAN'T blame the coaching, they gameplanned this one perfectly. My issue is, I don't think Clements had a mental lapse - I think he was trying to pad his stats. There is no way he had a mental lapse - EVERYONE in the entire stadium knew the down-and-distance. I think MM is going to have to squash out that kind of me-first attitude. It's unfortunate that it's on his plate already as a first year HC, but that's life in this League.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about root canal wise.  I had two done two years ago and they weren't any worse than a trip to the normal dentist.  Couldn't have taken more than 40 minutes a tooth and only one trip.  You should have had one done 25 years ago when you had to make multiple trips to the guy.  That is really where root canals got their rep.

Now the Bills, that's another story.

29923[/snapback]

Mine was complicated. Lotsa roots with odd bends. I've had a couple before and I wouldn't have mentioned them. They were cakewalks. This one *sucked*

No, I'm not blaming our coaches. I'm putting this one square on a collection of our best players: Moulds, for putting the ball in the wrong hand and giving up a fumble at their 7 yard line. And Clements, for the aforementioned gaffe. I'm not going to say anything about the CV hold because I didn't see it - maybe MM will comment after reviewing the tape.

29869[/snapback]

I'm not going to defend Moulds fumble, it was bad and shouldn't have happend. However that play really didn't contribute to the loss. Reese interecepted Leftwhich like 2 plays later and returned the ball to the 3 yard line...that INT doesn't happen if Moulds hadn't turned the ball over. Those two turnovers pretty much ended up in a wash...though I supposed the arguement could be made that momentum was shifted, but I'm guessing after that Reese INT the Bills were pretty pumped to get another shot at the end zone.