To Serve and Protect?

stevewin

To make matters worse, the chief of the Louisiana State Police said he heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers — many of whom were from flooded areas — turning in their badges.

“They indicated that they had lost everything and didn’t feel that it was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their lives,” Col. Henry Whitehorn said.

wow

MSNBC

Wasn't it in NO in the 90s that about 10 cops got convicted for killing and being basically the hit squad for the drug gangs? The NO police has been riddled with incompetence and corruption for decades.

They indicated that they had lost everything and didn’t feel that it was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their lives

contrary to popular belief, cops are people too. They don't enjoy getting shot at, beat up, spit on, or sweared at any more than the rest of us.

And they also have personal lives to take care of, which being a police officer may now interfere with.

Wasn't it in NO in the 90s that about 10 cops got convicted for killing and being basically the hit squad for the drug gangs? The NO police has been riddled with incompetence and corruption for decades.

426948[/snapback]

Yes. I believe the City PD was taken over by the USDOJ to put an end to the corruption.

426948[/snapback]

I don't see anything incompetent about leaving the force right now. They have no homes or possessions either. I wouldn't want to get shot at by some desperate person with truly nothing to lose; or on the flip side, be forced to shoot to kill others who are looting. I'd shuffle off to Buffalo if I were them.