Timeline: FEMA under Bush

Dr. K

Somehow this is Clinton's fault. I know it.

426842[/snapback]

you're familiar with the Butterfly Effect? And no, i don't mean that movie with that dude from That 70s Show who's now boning Demi Moore

Its the idea that a very small change to something at the right moment in time can have a huge impact on the future? Like the force of a butterfly flapping its wings may add to a weather system that develops into a hurricane?

So yeah, lets blame Clinton too. Wagging his finger at America only strengthened the weather system that years later developed into Katrina

:blink:

Aren't the levees nearly a hundred years old?  I think there was at least one Democratic administration during that period that could have done something.  Maybe a benevolent Rep president before evil Bush could have done something in that time?.  Perhaps a Dem president who presided over a budget surplus that could have been used to build a 100' wall around the New Orleans preimeter?

426364[/snapback]

You don't just build the stuff and walk away - maintainance and improvement is ongoing. This is particularly true in the mississippi delta where drainage for construction is ongoing, changing the flooding requirements over time.

The key point is that Army Corp of Engineer funding has actually been cut several times during this administration making improvement impossible and maintainance problematical.

(As an aside, it's been somewhat under-reported that housing insurance claims due to hurricanes, flooding, tornados, etc have sky-rocketed over the last 5 years, a reflecton of under-code over-building in dubious areas. Personally, I don't understand why the market doesn't correct for this with outrageous premiums when you build on the carolina coast...)

You don't just build the stuff and walk away - maintainance and improvement is ongoing. This is particularly true in the mississippi delta where drainage for construction is ongoing, changing the flooding requirements over time.

The key point is that Army Corp of Engineer funding has actually been cut several times during this administration making improvement impossible and maintainance problematical.

(As an aside, it's been somewhat under-reported that housing insurance claims due to hurricanes, flooding, tornados, etc have sky-rocketed over the last 5 years, a reflecton of under-code over-building in dubious areas.  Personally, I don't understand why the market doesn't correct for this with outrageous premiums when you build on the carolina coast...)

427357[/snapback]

Actually, to their defense... Funding has been going down for 30 years... We are just at the breakdown point now. And recently, they just have cut so much so fast...

Of course they will tow the line and say otherwise... The are good soldiers.