New Engineering for rebuilding N.O.

How can rebuilding dollars be used to engineer a better coastal or surrounding flood outlet or something that would alleviate the levies. Is there something we can do (higher seawalls, channels etc) to lessen this next time around?

424877[/snapback]

New Orleans has always been in a constant struggle with flooding. Short of technology to jack the bedrock up above sea level...no, because when you build below sea level surrounded by water, you will eventually get a flood.

How can rebuilding dollars be used to engineer a better coastal or surrounding flood outlet or something that would alleviate the levies. Is there something we can do (higher seawalls, channels etc) to lessen this next time around?

424877[/snapback]

It's interesting. Here in southern CA near Palm Springs there is the Salton Sea. I always wondered how it was created. We went there to visit during the winter last year and found out that it was formed when a leve from the Colorado river broke in 1905 and the water flowed for 2 years. It formed the lake that is 35 miles long and 9 miles wide. Is this what's in store for New Orleans?

New Orleans has always been in a constant struggle with flooding.  Short of technology to jack the bedrock up above sea level...no, because when you build below sea level surrounded by water, you will eventually get a flood.

424892[/snapback]

How about a 20 foot seawall 50 miles long? :doh: Come on Bib.... whatcha got.

Wouldn't help- the storm surge was 30+ feet. Higher than Camille in 65.

425044[/snapback]

1969... Betsy was in 1965.

Katrina would have to be the benchmark... Set it at forty feet... :D<_<

Not sure if the levees there where just earthen? Something has to be done to strengthen them. That was being proposed until the study was shelved.

Now before you fire at me... I know this would have done nothing since Katrina hit now.

I just feel at unease that we would have continued down the path we were headed even if Katrina didn't hit, that disturbs me.

I want to know why the levees broke... What the protection district was doing to monitor the conditions and so on.

All I am is second guessing the path we were headed down.

Why don't they divert the river under the city... Build the navigable waterway through the lakes and around the city?

Sounds crazy doesn't it... But you want crazy?

The deep tunnel drainage system in Chicago for the last 30 years is being placed 300 down in the bedrock... Througout the years they keep on adding spurs and underground resevoirs to handle the storm water. Once the storm abates the water is pumped back to the rivers and flows downstream.

:D

424877[/snapback]

I don't understand why we (meaning USG) want to rebuild it at all other than out of sheer bloody-mindedness. Especially when you consider that minor rises in sea levels combined with the much bigger effect of messing with the delta will only make the problem worse and worse over time. If a property-owner wants to build below sea-level that should be their problem, not US policy.

We've got enough problems keeping man in space - we don't need to be bothered with keeping man in the Gulf of Mexico.