(LAMP)For all you intenational travellers

The Poojer

what is the best(cheapest airport) to fly in and out of for a trip to italy, it is not out of the question taking a train to final destination. Also what is the cheapest time of year to visit and still be able to enjoy temperate weather conditions(ie no snow)

what is the best(cheapest airport) to fly in and out of for a trip to italy, it is not out of the question taking a train to final destination.  Also what is the cheapest time of year to visit and still be able to enjoy temperate weather conditions(ie no snow)

424153[/snapback]

I visited the north of Italy in August and it is HOT - pretty much any time of year from September thru June is fair reasonable weather and you'll not see snow in any part of Italy aprt from the northern most areas near the mountains.

As for cheap airports - you can fly to the UK and use a number of low cost airlines to fly into a number of italian ports. I can offer specific reccommendations if needed.

The South of Italy is much cheaper in general than the north - so look into flying to Napoli (Naples). Train journeys in Europe tend to be easy to make and italy is no exception.

Where is your final destination?

what is the best(cheapest airport) to fly in and out of for a trip to italy, it is not out of the question taking a train to final destination.  Also what is the cheapest time of year to visit and still be able to enjoy temperate weather conditions(ie no snow)

424153[/snapback]

if you mean from the US, I had good prices last year on US air out of Philly.

Oct/Nov is not so crowded and you should be able to get by with a light jacket in the mornings.

424153[/snapback]

I've used this many, many times before making travel plans. :lol:

Google...................................Just kidding, its the best, I think. :P

I am in your area and we just came back from France & Italy through Dulles (IAD). I checked RIC, IAD, DCA, PHF, and BWI and the best overall cost/efficiency was through IAD.

But, as one previous poster mentioned, it depends on your final destination. I could have paid nearly the same to fly out of RIC but I would have had one more stop in the US (because no direct from RIC) with another stop in Paris, Milan, London or Amsterdam before our final destination. Dulles was direct to CDG and had a much shorter total travel time because no extra stop and even figuring in the 2 hour trip to IAD. And long-term parking is cheaper at IAD than RIC. But now, the price of gas adds another factor, besides time, into the equation.

You might try Sidestep, Mobissimo, etc., where you can quickly switch or expand airport departure/arrival locations.

Your best bet for the most and cheapest flight options is probably Rome. It's also relatively centrally located, so if that's not your destination you probably won't have as far to travel. But I'd look at the airline and travel websites to see what the fares are running for wherever it is your headed. The fares can vary greatly depending on where your leaving from, when your leaving, if you go non-stop, etc. It's a long trip over there, so it's generally worth it to try to be close to where you plan on visiting. Having to travel another 4 to 5 hours, jet-lagged, after you land isn't always worth the savings--particularly if you have to travel back the same way to fly home.

In terms of weather, a lot depends on where you want to be. Italy generally isn't crowded in the Winter, but the weather is colder and grayer. Pretty much like here. Northern Italy (Milan/Venice) can be cold into late March/early April. Central Italy (Rome/Florence) is a bit milder by then, and Southern Italy (Naples) is pretty temperate. I was in Venice and Florence in mid-April this year and it was often cold enough for a warm jacket (although Winter hung on a bit later than usual this season).

If good weather is a big concern, May is generally considered a good time to go. Most of the Summer travelers haven't gotten there yet, and the weather is more consistent, without being oppressive. I hear that September/October are also good, although I've never been in the Fall.

Good luck.

Did a quick Orbitz search and cheapest I found was JFK to Roma for $541 departing Sept 21, out of the DC area the best price was around $800 and around 800 out of RIC as well, usually DC is close to NYC area.