The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

And I'm one of the people that tend to believe he shouldn't have caved.  More government bureaucracy is usually not the answer.

423384[/snapback]

Oh really? bureaucracy? is that what you think this agency is about? Thanks god we have an agency dedicated to our security because the FBI and CIA were a joke. I guess you would rather have no government and relegate us into a 3rd world situation... as long as you can pay no taxes.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really? bureaucracy? is that what you think this agency is about? Thanks god we have an agency dedicated to our security because the FBI and CIA were a joke. I guess you would rather have no government and relegate us into a 3rd world situation... as long as you can pay no taxes.

423433[/snapback]

I'd rather have a government that did its job effectively. You really think that, instead of whipping CIA and FBI into shape, giving them someone else to compete with was the answer? Then compound it by taking elements of Commerce, Treasury, Transportation, and State and giving THEM to HS...and let DoD manage their own programs. Now everyone's competing against everyone else. Yeah, that'll be effective. :doh: The answer to bull sh-- is rarely to pile more bull sh-- on top of it and hope it masks the smell...

Thanks. I agree. But National Security as far as "Homeland Security" was fought by Bush... it was Liberman and the dems that wanted a seperate agency to focus on terror. Bush went along in the end because of political pressure.

423379[/snapback]

And it turned into a typical democrat operation. We ignore it as much as we can.

Can someone explain this statement to me that they just discussed for 10 minutes on the news...

"They need to damn up the levees as soon as possible, so the water will stop flowing in and start receding out of the city."

So does water in N.O. flow from below sea level UP to sea level?

Can someone explain this statement to me that they just discussed for 10 minutes on the news...

"They need to damn up the levees as soon as possible, so the water will stop flowing in and start receding out of the city."

423457[/snapback]

They brought generators in to run the pumps. But until they gets the holes dammed up, that's no good.

423457[/snapback]

they pump it out

ok, then 1 more stupid question...you cant exactly pump hazardous chemical toxic waste filled water out of the city into the gulf or lakes, so where are they pumping it into?

423463[/snapback]

Into the gulf. The levels of toxins should be low enough that the shear quantity of water in the gulf will offset it. It's not like anyone is drinking or going swimming in that water anytime soon.

ok, then 1 more stupid question...you cant exactly pump hazardous chemical toxic waste filled water out of the city into the gulf or lakes, so where are they pumping it into?

423463[/snapback]

good question

423463[/snapback]

Hah! got 'em now....

That will get blown off in the short term, then someone will ask the question later after it gets pumped back into the gulf, then there will be no proof besides the residual heavy metals and semi-volatiles...then everyone on both sides will parade experts....

This stuff can really be a lot of fun.

Hah! got 'em now....

That will get blown off in the short term, then someone will ask the question later after it gets pumped back into the gulf, then there will be no proof besides the residual heavy metals and semi-volatiles...then everyone on both sides will parade experts....

This stuff can really be a lot of fun.

423468[/snapback]

Okay Mr. Clean, WTF do you plan on doing with several billions of gallons of water with toxins in them?

Except the marine life...which stores toxins and then becomes seafood.   :doh:

423481[/snapback]

Ummmm. You think they are fishing after a hurricane rolls through. No they let the crap settle for a few days.

And yes I know some sport fishing is done afterwards and is supposed to be good. But after typhoon in Asia, you don't eat anything from the sea for a couple of days.

Okay Mr. Clean, WTF do you plan on doing with several billions of gallons of water with toxins in them?

423469[/snapback]

Pump it wherever I can to get it out, so I can work, and worry about it later. Once the water is gone, the residual contamination becomes a soil contamination problem. Soil contamination problems are usually ignored until they become water contamination problems. In the eyes of the regulators, water is not always water. Unless someone becomes really anal, the flood waters are not going to get addressed. When they are gone, things will fall back into leachates. Anyone who wants to rebuild will be stuck with a phase one and two assessment, or they will be in violation of the environmental laws. Once the soil samples are taken, and they have leachable toxins above the TCLP values, they will have to remediate. then, it goes to the lawyers.

Latest update as per CNN. An attempt to fix and block the breach and holes in New Orleans have failed. Water levels are surging and it is expected to overpower the levees and raise water up to 15 feet in some parts in the next few hours.

Ummmm.  You think they are fishing after a hurricane rolls through.  No they let the crap settle for a few days.

And yes I know some sport fishing is done afterwards and is supposed to be good.  But after typhoon in Asia, you don't eat anything from the sea for a couple of days.

423486[/snapback]

If the pump NO into the Gulf, toxins in the Gulf are going to hang around for a long while...and toxins absorbed by the marine life are going to stay there until such sea life is caught.

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't pump NO out into the Gulf...just that I wouldn't be eating any fresh-caught shrimp gumbo on the Gulf coast for a long while...

If the pump NO into the Gulf, toxins in the Gulf are going to hang around for a long while...and toxins absorbed by the marine life are going to stay there until such sea life is caught.

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't pump NO out into the Gulf...just that I wouldn't be eating any fresh-caught shrimp gumbo on the Gulf coast for a long while...

423500[/snapback]

What makes you think you should eat it now? Gulf shrimp suck.