Twelve guys that don't make it

Thailog80

I don't think Matthews is going anywhere after TD had to beg him to re-sign. Maybe if Woodburry (sp?) looked a lot better, but from what I've seen, Shane-O Matt  has looked serviceable this pre-season... he will stick & help tutor JP.

420700[/snapback]

I still think he stinks, but I fear you are correct on the TD angle.

Reactions to your list:

Cieslak might squeek past the first cut. We don't have that many healthy TE's, and I don't see much indication that Trafford's getting more serious consideration.

Joe Burns will make it past the first cut unless they're releasing him early as a courtesy so he can seek out another team. He does appear to be out of contention for a RB slot, but could maybe sneak in for ST play and as a back-up FB.

Rashard Lee - similar to Burns. He is definitely on the bubble, and is one injury from making the team. His 69 yard kickoff return was not enough to offset his 1.7 yard/carry average and bumbled handoff last week. I thought it was telling he barely played against Chicago, but I don't see them cutting him early except as a courtesy.

Shane Matthews - no way is he cut tomorrow, and I think he'd only be cut if the Bills went w 2 QBs, he retired and they offered him a job. He has been solid for an emergeny QB, and he's a good fit on the team. Woodbury did not even get a look against Chicago. What does that tell you?

Jim Leonhard is in a dogfight with Wire to make the team. His hard-hitting over-achieving, ST play, and the departure of Prioleau mean he has a real shot at making the team. Wire has had several years to blossom, and the coaches might well believe that Leonard has more of an upside if they are performing comparably in preseason.

Others I think will get cut first:

While DE Uyi Osunde (#99) looked good in the GB scrimmage, and decent against Indi's 3rd team, he looked mediocre against Indi, while Ritzmann looked solid. He did not get any playing time against Chicago that I saw (but was listed in the NFL Gamebook as a substitution). I think he gets cut in the first wave, but would be happy to see him land on the PS. He seemed to have a lot of raw talent.

Other possible 1st cutdown victims:

LB 50-Ezekiel, Liam

FB 44-Goldsberry, Jon

OT 61-Jerman, Greg

CB 39-Lee, Rob

CB 46-Richardson, Lawrence

Another interesting player:

C 60-Jasen Esposito has quietly been doing a decent job playing center with the second string players, but I've not seen him get any press. He could be cut in an effort to sneak him onto the practice squad, avoiding the scrutiny the final cut players receive.

Jim Leonhard is in a dogfight with Wire to make the team. His hard-hitting over-achieving, ST play, and the departure of Prioleau mean he has a real shot at making the team.  Wire has had several years to blossom, and the coaches might well believe that Leonard has more of an upside if they are performing comparably in preseason.

420745[/snapback]

~bump~ for Jim Leonhard. :D

Let me rephrase:  Burns doubles well as a fullback, so probably won't get cut.

421022[/snapback]

Oh....you didn't specify at first....lol. The Bills like Jon Goldberry a lot also at FB but he could be PS material this year.

Oh....you didn't specify at first....lol. The Bills like Jon Goldberry a lot also at FB but he could be PS material this year.

421024[/snapback]

Goldberry is no longer eligible for PS, he either makes a roster or he he'll be playing in Canada.

Forgive my ignorance for a second.  When are the deadlines for the first and second round of cuts?  Living in Boston, I refuse to read anything from the media out here.

421105[/snapback]

Tuesday and Sept 4th I believe is the cutdown to 53.