Time to reshuffle the OL a bit?

How about:

LT Peters

LG Gandy

C Teague

RG Villarial

RT Williams

???

Or anything to get Bennie Anderson out of the starting lineup, really...

420129[/snapback]

Peters is too weak in the run game yet. I Vote:

LT Gandy

LG Preston

C Teague

RG Villy

RT Big Mike

I assumed just by the overall results that Anderson played poorly tonight but I didn't really focus on him. Was he the one that gave up the gap in those couple run blitzes for huge losses on the left side tonight?

I assumed just by the overall results that Anderson played poorly tonight but I didn't really focus on him. Was he the one that gave up the gap in those couple run blitzes for huge losses on the left side tonight?

420136[/snapback]

Bennie can't move well. He's a lunger/mauler who falls off his blocks too easily and gets caught up in the trash.

Bennie can't move well.  He's a lunger/mauler who falls of his blocks too easily and gets caught up in the trash.

420139[/snapback]

I've already heard the write up on him but thought he played ok prior to tonight. What did he do specifically tonight? Were his guys scraping off of him to make tackles or was it more missing assignments?

I've already heard the write up on him but thought he played ok prior to tonight. What did he do specifically tonight? Were his guys scraping off of him to make tackles or was it more missing assignments?

420141[/snapback]

He just seems like a one-trick pony who has a hard time picking up blitzes/scraping/chipping doing any type of movement things.

420136[/snapback]

One sweep was read by a corner, F.Smith had a shot at him but didn't even try for some reason. Another guy was totally missed by Teague when he pulled. Shelton got ran over on another, our first series on a third and one. The whole line was pretty shaky, I wouldn't pin it on Anderson alone.

Look, we all know that this line was pretty mediocre last year and other than losing one of its better players in Jennings, not much was done in the off season besides collecting a few rejects from other teams. The hope is clearly that McNally can make something out of nothing. I think he is doing wonders with these guys as it is but against a solid defense like that, the inherent weakness of our line was clearly exposed.

If that line doesn't get better, we are going to have to rethink this power running thing. That game reminded me so much of last year. The defense plays great but the stumbling offense keeps the game close and then the opponent gets lucky and finally scores a TD late in the game and we lose. Jacksonville all over again.

One sweep was read by a corner, F.Smith had a shot at him but didn't even try for some reason.  Another guy was totally missed by Teague when he pulled.  Shelton got ran over on another, our first series on a third and one.  The whole line was pretty shaky, I wouldn't pin it on Anderson alone. 

Look, we all know that this line was pretty mediocre last year and other than losing one of its better players in Jennings, not much was done in the off season besides collecting a few rejects from other teams.  The hope is clearly that McNally can make something out of nothing.  I think he is doing wonders with these guys as it is but against a solid defense like that, the inherent weakness of our line was clearly exposed.

If that line doesn't get better, we are going to have to rethink this power running thing.  That game reminded me so much of last year.  The defense plays great but the stumbling offense keeps the game close and then the opponent gets lucky and finally scores a TD late in the game and we lose.  Jacksonville all over again.

420178[/snapback]

God I hope not. If they play like that in the opener, I would poop myself. But this is pre-season, which equals sloppy play. 15 days to the real mcoy. I will bite my tongue and my keyboard until then......

Do you guys honestly believe that the Bills coaches are not going to put the best 5 lineman they have on the field?

420222[/snapback]

Maybe. They penciled Pucillo in as the starting LG at the beginning of last season. So McNally and Co. are not infallible.

Of the three linemen on the left side who have been getting a significant amount of snaps with the starters - Peters, Gandy, and Anderson - I think Bennie has been the worst. He's been very mediocre in the run game, and while I recognize that his performance is partly influenced by others around him, I have also not seen any flashes of run-blocking dominance in the preseason games that was suppposed to be his only strong point.

Instead, along with his mediocrity at the run game, he has shown (to me, at least) to be just as flawed in pass protection and in mechanical discipline (penalties) as his reputation in Baltimore suggested.

The coaches may be sticking with Bennie as starter primarily for the purpose of continuity, but I don't think it would be such a horrible break in continuity to slide the very versatile Gandy one spot over and keep Peters in at the LT position he's been practicing at all preseason. Peters himself still has work to do in run blocking, but unlike the stagnant Anderson, he seems to be getting better each game. And while Gandy has been doing relatively fine at LT, I think he'd be much better at LG where his limited mobility won't be tested as much.

One sweep was read by a corner, F.Smith had a shot at him but didn't even try for some reason.  Another guy was totally missed by Teague when he pulled.  Shelton got ran over on another, our first series on a third and one.  The whole line was pretty shaky, I wouldn't pin it on Anderson alone. 

Look, we all know that this line was pretty mediocre last year and other than losing one of its better players in Jennings, not much was done in the off season besides collecting a few rejects from other teams.  The hope is clearly that McNally can make something out of nothing.  I think he is doing wonders with these guys as it is but against a solid defense like that, the inherent weakness of our line was clearly exposed.

If that line doesn't get better, we are going to have to rethink this power running thing.  That game reminded me so much of last year.  The defense plays great but the stumbling offense keeps the game close and then the opponent gets lucky and finally scores a TD late in the game and we lose.  Jacksonville all over again.

420178[/snapback]

Don't say things like that, or you won't last long in the chat room. :lol:

Such logic has no place there. :(

I FLMAO @ changing QB's would make the line better. :lol:

420136[/snapback]

On one of those Blitzes I'm fairly certain it was a WR who missed the assignment, possibly Smith.