A Great Day for Liberty

I own a variety of guns for various purposes.  Hunting, sporting, and home defense.  Different types of hunting require different calibers/weapon types.  Guns have been a part of my life since I was very young.

There are between 750,000 and 3,000,000 crimes prevented annually by private citizens.  The upper end of that statistic says you have a 1 in 100 chance of needing a gun every year.  Currently the ratio of police officers to citizens in in the 1800-1 range.  911 is the government's version of "dial a prayer." 

I have pulled my concealed weapon twice in my life.  Never had to fire it.  Showing it was enough to make the perp decide to go after someone else.  Lucky for him and me, I'd say.

The problem with saying you don't need a gun is that time when you actually do.  I understand the rationale and gun ownership isn't for everyone.  That doesn't change the actual right.

Everytime I have an "in person" conversation with anti-gunners, I ask them to put a sign in their front yard.  The sign should read "Attention criminals, this house has no guns."  :D

31450[/snapback]

I'm not questioning one's right to a gun. If you want a gun, I don't really care. But I am asking you personally, why do you need a gun for home defense? I have never been to Alaska, but I can't imagine that there is a lot of crime, especially a lot of home invasions. Also, could you please describe the circumstances of both instances in which you needed to draw your concealed weapon. Include what town/city this took place in. And do you carry a weapon with you at all times?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe...you seem to be a selective reader...but I'll repost...This is why!

Sure... keep your head in the sand...home invasion is on the rise...and not just in bad neighborhoods. http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information...tem.asp?ID=1772

This is an archive...but the truth is there....Happens here in Pensacola time and again...I've lived by this saying..."Better to not need a gun than need a gun and not have one" ..... Hey it's your life....let the criminals own you or fight back if it comes down to that...your choice...that's what makes us lucky to be Americans....You have the right to choose to defend yourself or not....Ain't my call...Only you can decide what is right for you. I personnaly choose to protect myself....I hope I'm not ever like AD and actullaly have to pull a weapon in self-defense.....but I will be ready and able too...It's just a personal choice...you have to live with what you are comfortable with.

I'm not questioning one's right to a gun.  If you want a gun, I don't really care.  But I am asking you personally, why do you need a gun for home defense?  I have never been to Alaska, but I can't imagine that there is a lot of crime, especially a lot of home invasions.  Also, could you please describe the circumstances of both instances in which you needed to draw your concealed weapon.  Include what town/city this took place in.  And do you carry a weapon with you at all times?

31718[/snapback]

There is alot of crime everywhere. Doesn't matter whether you live in a small town or a big city. I had a family member beaten nearly to death in an attempted rape in a town of less than 12,000 people.

Both times I've pulled my concealed were in cities over 100,000 people, at night when walking back to my car. I once reached into my overcoat to simulate drawing a weapon in a large city and 2 young bangers turned and walked the other way. I'm not sure that has any bearing on the discussion, as there have been 3 times in my life people have tried to "hot break" my house.

Once was in a farmhouse on a very desolate road in WNY. Once was in California. Once was here (not in my current home). I live in a nice neighborhood (houses over $250K) but that hasn't stopped kids from breaking into people's houses. A couple of teenagers broke my truck window in my driveway to steal a pair of cheap sunglasses.

I carry whenever is legal and practical. In Alaska, that's most of the time. Not that anyone who doesn't know me would have a clue.

swede316, This link that you sent me provides anecdotal evidence of how home invasion is on the rise and the most recent story is from 2001. The link provides no statistical evidence that home invasion is on the rise, yet you claim "the truth is there". The truth is, in my case, that I live in Amherst, which is statistically the safest town in America. I have never once felt the need to carry a gun. I have also lived in the city of Buffalo, and I still never found that I was being physically threatened enough to go out and buy a gun for "protection." You also said it "happens in Pensacola time and again", however this is also an anecdotal account for you provide no guidelines to what you mean by "time and again" I respect your right to own a firearm, but please do not talk down to me because I don't choose to own one myself. My head is not in the sand, and the criminals do not own me. I try to avoid trouble, and so far trouble has avoided me.

My response to AD is along the same lines. I live in a safe neighborhood. My car has been broken into twice in my life, both times while parked in the city of Buffalo. Owning a gun would not have stopped this, since I wasn't at my car when it happened. And I certainly don't think you would claim that owning a gun would have prevented the teenagers in your neighborhood from breaking into your car to steal your sunglasses. What I am really curious about is the actual circumstances of the times you had to draw your gun. What did the perps want? Were you alone? What was the large city where the two bangers ran away?

Yes, there is a lot of crime everywhere, but there are ways to avoid it. For me, owning a gun would not make me feel any safer, because I think having to use it would put me in a lot more trouble than the actual crime I was trying to prevent would have put me in.

Oh yeah, and what exactly is "hot breaking" a house?

I'm not questioning one's right to a gun.  If you want a gun, I don't really care.  But I am asking you personally, why do you need a gun for home defense?  I have never been to Alaska, but I can't imagine that there is a lot of crime, especially a lot of home invasions.  Also, could you please describe the circumstances of both instances in which you needed to draw your concealed weapon.  Include what town/city this took place in.  And do you carry a weapon with you at all times?

31718[/snapback]

The point isn't the crime rate. The point is that it only take ONE event for some scumbag to destroy your life, and people like AD would prefer to be prepared to prevent that from happening. Just because it is more likely than not that it will never come to pass doesn't mean it won't happen.

I grew up in an environment with very few guns....actually I've never shot one (other than BB or pellet guns as a kid), but I certainly wouldn't presume to infringe on someone else's decision to carry.

Of course if an as-s-hole like AD was walking by and saw your car being broken into, he could have stopped it, if he carried.  But lets ignore the fact that most folks wouldn't stop someone when they are unarmed.

32156[/snapback]

Yep. There's just something fun about saying "grab some pavement, dirtbag."

The point isn't the crime rate.  The point is that it only take ONE event for some scumbag to destroy your life, and people like AD would prefer to be prepared to prevent that from happening.  Just because it is more likely than not that it will never come to pass doesn't mean it won't happen.

I grew up in an environment with very few guns....actually I've never shot one (other than BB or pellet guns as a kid), but I certainly wouldn't presume to infringe on someone else's decision to carry.

32153[/snapback]

I don't really think I was infringing on anyone's right to own a gun. I was just trying to understand why he needs one. I think most gun owners are able to provide adequate and intelligent reasoning to why they need guns, however I think what turns gun opponents off even more is when gun owners portray such a cavalier attitude about it with statements such as:

There's just something fun about saying "grab some pavement, dirtbag."

or

SHOT gun time, actually. It's amazing how well people behave when they are staring at the business end of an 1100 pump and the native has an itchy trigger finger.

Statements like these make you fit perfectly into the stereotype of a wild west guns blazing NRA member who is not trying to protect himself or his family but trying to act like some modern day Dirty Harry/action hero type. Now in this case, I am taking the statements out of context, since I think I detected your sarcasm, however I think this is where all the controversy starts to arise among those who would take your statements to heart.

Anyway, I respect your right to bear arms and appreciate the debate.

I don't really think I was infringing on anyone's right to own a gun.  I was just trying to understand why he needs one.  I think most gun owners are able to provide adequate and intelligent reasoning to why they need guns, however I think what turns gun opponents off even more is when gun owners portray such a cavalier attitude about it with statements such as:

There's just something fun about saying "grab some pavement, dirtbag."

or

SHOT gun time, actually. It's amazing how well people behave when they are staring at the business end of an 1100 pump and the native has an itchy trigger finger.

Statements like these make you fit perfectly into the stereotype of a wild west guns blazing NRA member who is not trying to protect himself or his family but trying to act like some modern day Dirty Harry/action hero type.  Now in this case, I am taking the statements out of context, since I think I detected your sarcasm, however I think this is where all the controversy starts to arise among those who would take your statements to heart. 

Anyway, I respect your right to bear arms and appreciate the debate.

32195[/snapback]

Anyone who takes those statements to heart is doing so only to bolster a bad argument based on emotion. That shouldn't come as a surprise.

BTW, it's not my right. It's OUR right. You simply choose not to exercise it. Nothing wrong with that.

swede316, This link that you sent me provides anecdotal evidence of how home invasion is on the rise and the most recent story is from 2001.  The link provides no statistical evidence that home invasion is on the rise, yet you claim "the truth is there".  The truth is, in my case, that I live in Amherst, which is statistically the safest town in America.  I have never once felt the need to carry a gun.  I have also lived in the city of Buffalo, and I still never found that I was being physically threatened enough to go out and buy a gun for "protection."  You also said it "happens in Pensacola time and again", however this is also an anecdotal account for you provide no guidelines to what you mean by "time and again"  I respect your right to own a firearm, but please do not talk down to me because I don't choose to own one myself.  My head is not in the sand, and the criminals do not own me.  I try to avoid trouble, and so far trouble has avoided me.

My response to AD is along the same lines.  I live in a safe neighborhood.  My car has been broken into twice in my life, both times while parked in the city of Buffalo.  Owning a gun would not have stopped this, since I wasn't at my car when it happened.  And I certainly don't think you would claim that owning a gun would have prevented the teenagers in your neighborhood from breaking into your car to steal your sunglasses.  What I am really curious about is the actual circumstances of the times you had to draw your gun.  What did the perps want?  Were you alone?  What was the large city where the two bangers ran away? 

Yes, there is a lot of crime everywhere, but there are ways to avoid it.  For me, owning a gun would not make me feel any safer, because I think having to use it would put me in a lot more trouble than the actual crime I was trying to prevent would have put me in.   

Oh yeah, and what exactly is "hot breaking" a house?

32123[/snapback]

I work on the south side of Chicago and live in the far south suburbs... I still leave things unlocked at night.

I can just imagine if the gun toters on this board lived here... They would be firing warning shots in the sky... :D

No need for a gun period!

Christ... I just went for a piss test in Hammond, Indiana... On my way back (out of the deli, after lunch... in Hegewisch (Chicago) I got panhandled for a buck by a middle-aged white lady!

Oooooo.

:lol::lol: