Pottery Barn rule revisited

Mickey

I have always been of the opinion that the Iraq war was a decison in search of a justification long before a single boot crossed the border. In those pre-war days, it seemed every other week a new reason to invade Iraq was being run up the flagpole. The main ones were WMD's, Iraq-9/11 connections and building a democracy in Iraq as a catalyst for change in the whole region. Well, neither the WMD's nor the 9/11 connections really held up and the building of a democracy there is on shaky ground. We are even seeing trial baloons about an Islamic Republic not being such a bad thing after all. Personally, I am leaning towards the idea that the Powell Pottery Barn doctrine maybe is not such a good one. Yeah, we broke it but why does that mean we now own it? Let Pottery Barn clean it up. Its their floor, their store.

Powell's idea is based on us bearing a responsibility to put Humpty Dumpty back together again since we are the ones that pushed him off the wall. If we don't, we are told, there will be a civil war in Iraq or it will become a breeding ground for terrorists. Isn't it already a breeding ground for terrorists? Isn't a civil war there inevitable if enough people there choose to have one rather than to work with a united government?

Would it really be so terrible for us if the north was controlled by Kurds, the south by Shiites and the middle by Sunnis with all three fighting eachother on the borders? Saddam was a threat to us so we went in and took him out and his regime. We tried to help them create a stable society, a democracy. It wasn't our responsibility to do so, it was a humanitarian effort and it isn't working.

I would like Iraq to be a stable democracy but that isn't going to happen. There is no way, no matter how many Iraqi troops are trained, that they are going to be able to handle the insurgency any better than our own forces have. If we can't shut it down, what fantasy would justify the belief that Iraqi forces will be able to do just that? It just isn't going to happen.

Whether they ever had WMD's or not doesn't matter, they don't have them now, threat gone. Would Saddam have made common cause with terrorists? Doesn't matter, he is gone and so is his regime so that threat is gone. If Iraqi's want a civil war, they will have one, sooner or later. Will it be a breeding ground for terrorists? It is now and which type of government do you think would have the most success cleaning out the country of terrorists, a democracy or a despot? Fine, let the Kurds and the Shiites and the Sunnis set up their enclaves and have at it, one despot vs. another.

It is like a forest after a fire. All manner of weeds quickly take root in the aftermath. You can't weed a forest so you leave it to its own devices to re-grow. You hope more Oaks grow than weeeds but in the end, you can't control that. If at some point it encroaches on the farm again, you burn it down once more.

Iraq, so the administration believed, was a threat to the farm so we burned it down. We've planted some Oaks and we have pulled many a weed to try and start it off in the right direction. If continuing to do that from now till doomsday would insure a weed free forest, fine, lets stay there forever. If that won't do it, then we need to pull up and let nature take its course for awhile.

I'm not saying, I'm just asking, do we really have a responsibility to fix Iraq or can we take the position that Iraq is Iraq's problem and once we have removed the threats against us that it presented and that could reasonably be removed, we can leave and not look back?

I have always been of the opinion that the Iraq war was a decison in search of a justification long before a single boot crossed the border.  In those pre-war days, it seemed every other week a new reason to invade Iraq was being run up the flagpole.  The main ones were WMD's, Iraq-9/11 connections and building a democracy in Iraq as a catalyst for change in the whole region.  Well, neither the WMD's nor the 9/11 connections really held up and the building of a democracy there is on shaky ground.  We are even seeing trial baloons about an Islamic Republic not being such a bad thing after all.  Personally, I am leaning towards the idea that the Powell Pottery Barn doctrine maybe is not such a good one.  Yeah, we broke it but why does that mean we now own it?  Let Pottery Barn clean it up.  Its their floor, their store.

Powell's idea is based on us bearing a responsibility to put Humpty Dumpty back together again since we are the ones that pushed him off the wall.  If we don't, we are told, there will be a civil war in Iraq or it will become a breeding ground for terrorists.  Isn't it already a breeding ground for terrorists?  Isn't a civil war there inevitable if enough people there choose to have one rather than to work with a united government?

Would it really be so terrible for us if the north was controlled by Kurds, the south by Shiites and the middle by Sunnis with all three fighting eachother on the borders?  Saddam was a threat to us so we went in and took him out and his regime.  We tried to help them create a stable society, a democracy.  It wasn't our responsibility to do so, it was a humanitarian effort and it isn't working. 

I would like Iraq to be a stable democracy but that isn't going to happen.  There is no way, no matter how many Iraqi troops are trained, that they are going to be able to handle the insurgency any better than our own forces have.  If we can't shut it down, what fantasy would justify the belief that Iraqi forces will be able to do just that?  It just isn't going to happen. 

Whether they ever had WMD's or not doesn't matter, they don't have them now, threat gone.  Would Saddam have made common cause with terrorists?  Doesn't matter, he is gone and so is his regime so that threat is gone.  If Iraqi's want a civil war, they will have one, sooner or later.  Will it be a breeding ground for terrorists?  It is now and which type of government do you think would have the most success cleaning out the country of terrorists, a democracy or a despot?  Fine, let the Kurds and the Shiites and the Sunnis set up their enclaves and have at it, one despot vs. another.

It is like a forest after a fire.  All manner of weeds quickly take root in the aftermath.  You can't weed a forest so you leave it to its own devices to re-grow.  You hope more Oaks grow than weeeds but in the end, you can't control that.  If at some point it encroaches on the farm again, you burn it down once more.

Iraq, so the administration believed, was a threat to the farm so we burned it down.  We've planted some Oaks and we have pulled many a weed to try and start it off in the right direction.  If continuing to do that from now till doomsday would insure a weed free forest, fine, lets stay there forever.  If that won't do it, then we need to pull up and let nature take its course for awhile.

I'm not saying, I'm just asking, do we really have a responsibility to fix Iraq or can we take the position that Iraq is Iraq's problem and once we have removed the threats against us that it presented and that could reasonably be removed, we can leave and not look back?

416472[/snapback]

Pottery Barn has nothing remotely close to this kind of policy. Almost exactly the opposite, in fact.

Pottery Barn has nothing remotely close to this kind of policy.  Almost exactly the opposite, in fact.

417288[/snapback]

Umm....I'm not sure that whether Colin Powell accurately described Pottery Barn's precise in-store breakage rule is really the point.

For the record, Powell is quoted by Woodward in Plan of Attack as referring to the "Pottery Barn Rule" and as describing it to the President:

"Now, if you break it, you made a mistake. It's the wrong thing to do. But you own it."

Columnist Thomas Friedman claims they got the reference from a column he wrote in February 2003 where he used the term "pottery store rule". Friedman says that in speeches, he used the phrase "Pottery Barn rule".

My point, sticking with the metaphor, is that this pot was already broken before we walked in to the store. We just picked up the sharpest pieces and tossed them away. Let the Pottery Barn pick up the rest.

My point, sticking with the metaphor, is that this pot was already broken before we walked in to the store.  We just picked up the sharpest pieces and tossed them away.  Let the Pottery Barn pick up the rest.

417505[/snapback]

That's the most commonsense thing you have ever written here.

That's the most commonsense thing you have ever written here.

417567[/snapback]

If you define "vicotry" as something abstract on the one hand and, under the circumstances, a virtual impossibility, then the whole operation is guaranteed to end in something other than victory. As it turns out, the most we could realistically achieve is to get rid of Saddam and his regime which, coincidentally, is the one thing everyone agrees was a good thing. Having won all that could reasonably be won, maybe its time to go or, at the least, it soon will be time to go.

The armed forces have done that which they are very good at doing now we have them trying to do something they simply aren't designed to do.

This is just a working idea, I have not thought it all through yet. Politically, I think this might appeal to both sides of the aisle. One major concern is that it would likely be viewed as caving in to al Queda. It might be viewed as yet another example of a democracy pulling out in response to terrorism. There has been too much of that from Lebanon under Reagan to more recently, Madrid.

The armed forces have done that which they are very good at doing now we have them trying to do something they simply aren't designed to do.

This is just a working idea, I have not thought it all through yet.  Politically, I think this might appeal to both sides of the aisle.  One major concern is that it would likely be viewed as caving in to al Queda.  It might be viewed as yet another example of a democracy pulling out in response to terrorism.  There has been too much of that from Lebanon under Reagan to more recently, Madrid.

417653[/snapback]

I'm not sure how real of a concern that is --- look at the Afghanistan model. At this point, reducing troop levels to ~75,000-50,000 at the end of the year or next spring wouldn't be viewed as caving to AQ. Well, they can think we're caving and they probably will say we are b/c that's what they do, kind of like a family pathetically insulting the fire that just destroyed their house. We've done some major damage to their networks.

The thing is, after a big pullout of Iraq, there isn't any one area that receives the majority of the focus. We'll be left to dealing with more concentrated areas. Unless Pres. Bush goes to the next entry on his list (Iran? NK?). Another large-scale operation for this admin seems out of the question at this point (barring concrete developments, b/c our credibility is shot, with the world at large and among our own people). Trust that the govt is more or less telling the truth is the thing that's been most damaged by all of this. To go with the analogy, after spending $200B for something that's broken and wasn't our fault for breaking in the first place, who wants to shop at Pottery Barn again?!

I'm not sure how real of a concern that is --- look at the Afghanistan model. At this point, reducing troop levels to ~75,000-50,000 at the end of the year or next spring wouldn't be viewed as caving to AQ. Well, they can think we're caving and they probably will say we are b/c that's what they do, kind of like a family pathetically insulting the fire that just destroyed their house. We've done some major damage to their networks.

The thing is, after a big pullout of Iraq, there isn't any one area that receives the majority of the focus. We'll be left to dealing with more concentrated areas. Unless Pres. Bush goes to the next entry on his list (Iran? NK?). Another large-scale operation for this admin seems out of the question at this point (barring concrete developments, b/c our credibility is shot, with the world at large and among our own people). Trust that the govt is more or less telling the truth is the thing that's been most damaged by all of this. To go with the analogy, after spending $200B for something that's broken and wasn't our fault for breaking in the first place, who wants to shop at Pottery Barn again?!

417686[/snapback]

It would free up a lot of troops to go after OBL I guess.

I'm not sure ut I don't think that the USA can technically own another country.

Figures of speech are kinda neat, but really I think this is more about stopping the spread of terroists in the middle east and giving millions of decent people in the middle east the chance to live in a democracy. Men and women alike in that country deserve the right to live as free people.

Also, I never really understood the analogy about "you break it you own it". The counrty was rather broken long before we got there, with little or no hope of being fixed. Now at the very least the people of that country have a chance to have a future. weather they make pottery or not.

I'm not sure ut I don't think that the USA can technically own another country.

Figures of speech are kinda neat, but really I think this is more about stopping the spread of terroists in the middle east and giving millions of decent people in the middle east the chance to live in a democracy. Men and women alike in that country deserve the right to live as free people.

Also, I never really understood the analogy about "you break it you own it". The counrty was rather broken long before we got there, with little or no hope of being fixed. Now at the very least the people of that country have a chance to have a future. weather they make pottery or not.

417780[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to take that literally, that is why I broke the phrase down to the question "...do we really have a responsibility to fix Iraq...?" Certainly, it is a nice, humanitarian thing to do to go out and try to build democracies from scratch and all but do we have a responsibility to do that? Without even getting into the argument of whether our presence there is actually increasing the spread of terrorism, why do we have an obligation, as the Powell doctrine implies, to turn Iraq into a stable democracy, even if that were remotely possible?

I am just not sure that building a democracy there was ever anything more than a nice sounding, altruistic, noble, etc, motivation and now, even though it turns out that it just isn't a realistic goal, we have anchored ourselves to it. Drowning in our own altruism and blood. Saddam and his regime were a threat to the United States so in we went and obliterated him and his regime. Yeah, a lot of Iraqi's got caught in the cross fire of that effort but it had to get done. Okay, now its done. Why are we still there wasting lives and fueling terrorist recruiting just to build a transparent democracy that will crumble to pieces the minute we leave? Is it simply to justify the invasion after the fact by accomplishing some great humanitarian effort for Iraqi's?

I know it is selfish and Macciavelian but maybe we need to be selfish and Macciavelian and turn that mess over to Iraq now and tell them good luck with the civil war. I just can't bear the thought of another 1,500 or so dead soldiers a year later just so the Iraqi governement can collapse then instead of now.

Again, just thinking about this idea out loud.

I wasn't trying to take that literally, that is why I broke the phrase down to the question "...do we really have a responsibility to fix Iraq...?"  Certainly, it is a nice, humanitarian thing to do to go out and try to build democracies from scratch and all but do we have a responsibility to do that?  Without even getting into the argument of whether our presence there is actually increasing the spread of terrorism, why do we have an obligation, as the Powell doctrine implies, to turn Iraq into a stable democracy, even if that were remotely possible?

I am just not sure that building a democracy there was ever anything more than a nice sounding, altruistic, noble, etc, motivation and now, even though it turns out that it just isn't a realistic goal, we have anchored ourselves to it.  Drowning in our own altruism and blood.  Saddam and his regime were a threat to the United States so in we went and obliterated him and his regime.  Yeah, a lot of Iraqi's got caught in the cross fire of that effort but it had to get done.  Okay, now its done.  Why are we still there wasting lives and fueling terrorist recruiting just to build a transparent democracy that will crumble to pieces the minute we leave?  Is it simply to justify the invasion after the fact by accomplishing some great humanitarian effort for Iraqi's? 

I know it is selfish and Macciavelian but maybe we need to be selfish and Macciavelian and turn that mess over to Iraq now and tell them good luck with the civil war.  I just can't bear the thought of another 1,500 or so dead soldiers a year later just so the Iraqi governement can collapse then instead of now.

417847[/snapback]

What's odd is I actually find myself agreeing with you. The Iraqi people are ingrates.

Let em rot.

I wasn't trying to take that literally, that is why I broke the phrase down to the question "...do we really have a responsibility to fix Iraq...?"  Certainly, it is a nice, humanitarian thing to do to go out and try to build democracies from scratch and all but do we have a responsibility to do that?  Without even getting into the argument of whether our presence there is actually increasing the spread of terrorism, why do we have an obligation, as the Powell doctrine implies, to turn Iraq into a stable democracy, even if that were remotely possible?

I am just not sure that building a democracy there was ever anything more than a nice sounding, altruistic, noble, etc, motivation and now, even though it turns out that it just isn't a realistic goal, we have anchored ourselves to it.  Drowning in our own altruism and blood.  Saddam and his regime were a threat to the United States so in we went and obliterated him and his regime.  Yeah, a lot of Iraqi's got caught in the cross fire of that effort but it had to get done.  Okay, now its done.  Why are we still there wasting lives and fueling terrorist recruiting just to build a transparent democracy that will crumble to pieces the minute we leave?  Is it simply to justify the invasion after the fact by accomplishing some great humanitarian effort for Iraqi's? 

I know it is selfish and Macciavelian but maybe we need to be selfish and Macciavelian and turn that mess over to Iraq now and tell them good luck with the civil war.  I just can't bear the thought of another 1,500 or so dead soldiers a year later just so the Iraqi governement can collapse then instead of now.

417847[/snapback]

The "why" of it's actually pretty easy: a stable Iraq in the US sphere of influence puts pressure on Iran and Syria and has the potential to stabilize the entire region, just through the fact of geographic location.

But more importantly, an unstable Iraq at war with itself destabilizes the entire region, much the same way the Afghan civil war in the '90s caused problems for the Central Asian Republics (and Pakistan and even Iran). But I imagine an Iraqi civil war would be worse; rather than focused around shifting tribal alliances as in Afghanistan, it would be along clearly delineated ethnic borders, and I can't see how neighboring countries could avoid getting involved. When the Kurds and Iraqi Shi'ia start fighting, for example, how could Iran not avoid supporting the Shi'ites, and will Turkey deny its own Kurdish regions the ability to support the Iraqi Kurds (thus importing an Iraqi Civil War to its own soil, in effect), or turn a blind eye (risking direct conflict with Iran)? Syria will support the Ba'athist remnants, the Saudis the Sunni fundamentalists, everyone with a grudge agains Jordan will use western destabilized Iraq to attack them...

Frankly, I kind of feel about the occupation the same way I feel about Musharraf ruling Pakistan. Yeah, it's hardly an ideal situation...but you really don't want to see the alternative. ;)

What's odd is I actually find myself agreeing with you. The Iraqi people are ingrates.

Let em rot.

417866[/snapback]

Changing your tune, aren't you? I thought you always insisted that the Shia and the Kurds were suitably grateful and that the Sunnis were the only problem.

Let em rot.

417866[/snapback]

I have no idea about that but even if they were not ingrates, the point is the same. That would just make it a little more palatable to keep trying to get a democracy built there. If a democracy really can't be built there then why are we still there? That question shouldn't really depend on whether they are ingrates.

Changing your tune, aren't you? I thought you always insisted that the Shia and the Kurds were suitably grateful and that the Sunnis were the only problem.

417924[/snapback]

Well, I'm not so sure about the kurds. They seem to have a genuine interest in democracy. The Sunnis are a lost cause.

The Shia, well, you had to think they would try and organize a theocracy.

My main question is WHY did the Sunnis not come to the table? They had so much to lose by not doing so.

The "why" of it's actually pretty easy: a stable Iraq in the US sphere of influence puts pressure on Iran and Syria and has the potential to stabilize the entire region, just through the fact of geographic location.

But more importantly, an unstable Iraq at war with itself destabilizes the entire region, much the same way the Afghan civil war in the '90s caused problems for the Central Asian Republics (and Pakistan and even Iran).  But I imagine an Iraqi civil war would be worse; rather than focused around shifting tribal alliances as in Afghanistan, it would be along clearly delineated ethnic borders, and I can't see how neighboring countries could avoid getting involved.  When the Kurds and Iraqi Shi'ia start fighting, for example, how could Iran not avoid supporting the Shi'ites, and will Turkey deny its own Kurdish regions the ability to support the Iraqi Kurds (thus importing an Iraqi Civil War to its own soil, in effect), or turn a blind eye (risking direct conflict with Iran)?  Syria will support the Ba'athist remnants, the Saudis the Sunni fundamentalists, everyone with a grudge agains Jordan will use western destabilized Iraq to attack them...

Frankly, I kind of feel about the occupation the same way I feel about Musharraf ruling Pakistan.  Yeah, it's hardly an ideal situation...but you really don't want to see the alternative.  ;)

417876[/snapback]

All that could be exactly true but if we can't build a stable democracy in Iraq, that is where we are going to end up anyway. I don't see the new Iraq having any more success quelling the insurgency than we have had. How are they going to succeed where we, with all our power and wealth, have not? If you the insurgency can't be stopped, Iraq is going to explode anyway just as you fear. If we are clinging to the idea of building a democracy there because we truly believe it is a reasonable possibility, I can understand sticking it out. My worry is that we are sticking it out so that our last justification for the war, the altruistic goal of a free Iraq, won't turn out like the WMD justification did.

If I firmly beleived democracy had a chance in Iraq, it would be easy support staying but I am rapidly losing faith in that idea.

All that could be exactly true but if we can't build a stable democracy in Iraq, that is where we are going to end up anyway. 

418063[/snapback]

Endless occupation.

Which isn't democracy, either. Frankly, I've always thought the justification of "democracy for Iraq" was total bull sh-- anyway. Akin to saying "You'll be a democratic society whether you want to or not!"

Or worse: based in the unrealistically polyanna idea that anyone, once exposed to the Western liberal idea of democracy, will embrace it wholeheartedly to the exclusion of all else. It's not entirely unlike Victorian England's attitude to the colonial world..."But of course you'll accept our rule, once you understand what it's like to be subject to the British crown..." It's the same peculiar blind arrogance that, just because we accept it, everyone else must eventually come around to our point of view as well...

I wanted to address this specific paragraph of yours that I lighlighted:

I would like Iraq to be a stable democracy but that isn't going to happen.  There is no way, no matter how many Iraqi troops are trained, that they are going to be able to handle the insurgency any better than our own forces have.  If we can't shut it down, what fantasy would justify the belief that Iraqi forces will be able to do just that?  It just isn't going to happen. 

416472[/snapback]

Are you basing this opinion on actual information from military personnel? Or is this a position you've reached after careful selection of only the negative news reports that support your "Bash is bad" argument?

The reality is that we haven't seen the Iraqi soldiers show any capability in fighting the insurgents on their own because - to date - we have not done a very good job of training these Iraqi soldiers. It's only recently that the high level military officers are recognizing their faults in how they've executed these Iraqi training programs or in how they've prioritized this aspect of the war. So my point is to give our own military and the Iraqi military a chance to switch gears and correct this training deficiency before declaring the whole war hopeless and unwinnable.

And many military officials DO believe that we'll be able to win the Iraqi War over terrorists; but unlike people such as yourself, they have the virture of patience and realize that an Iraqi democracy won't stabilize for at least several more years. As soon as we're able to properly train enough Iraqi troops for urban guerilla warfare, we will be able to pull our own US troops out of Iraq. And once the Iraqi cilivians, Iraqi soldiers, and Middle Eastern Muslims in general see that there is no longer a US occupation and that the insurgents are only fighting other Muslims, the terrorists will begin losing their support base within Iraq and among neighboring Middle Eastern countries.

You are probably reading this and laughing at my optimism. But I am basing this optimism on a myriad of opinions I've heard from people that work directly with military personnel and with US counterterrorists. I value these people's opinions over everyone else's because they're the ones who actually work with the data and facts surrounding the global war on terror. At the very least, they have more exposure to the various faces of the truth than do politically biased lawyers like yourself who love complaining for the sake of complaining, even when no viable alternative solutions to problems have been proposed by the complainer.

I wanted to address this specific paragraph of yours that I lighlighted:

Are you basing this opinion on actual information from military personnel? Or is this a position you've reached after careful selection of only the negative news reports that support your "Bash is bad" argument?

The reality is that we haven't seen the Iraqi soldiers show any capability in fighting the insurgents on their own because - to date - we have not done a very good job of training these Iraqi soldiers. It's only recently that the high level military officers are recognizing their faults in how they've executed these Iraqi training programs or in how they've prioritized this aspect of the war. So my point is to give our own military and the Iraqi military a chance to switch gears and correct this training deficiency before declaring the whole war hopeless and unwinnable.

And many military officials DO believe that we'll be able to win the Iraqi War over terrorists; but unlike people such as yourself, they have the virture of patience and realize that an Iraqi democracy won't stabilize for at least several more years. As soon as we're able to properly train enough Iraqi troops for urban guerilla warfare, we will be able to pull our own US troops out of Iraq. And once the Iraqi cilivians, Iraqi soldiers, and Middle Eastern Muslims in general see that there is no longer a US occupation and that the insurgents are only fighting other Muslims, the terrorists will begin losing their support base within Iraq and among neighboring Middle Eastern countries.

You are probably reading this and laughing at my optimism. But I am basing this optimism on a myriad of opinions I've heard from people that work directly with military personnel and with US counterterrorists. I value these people's opinions over everyone else's because they're the ones who actually work with the data and facts surrounding the global war on terror. At the very least, they have more exposure to the various faces of the truth than do politically biased lawyers like yourself who love complaining for the sake of complaining, even when no viable alternative solutions to problems have been proposed by the complainer.

418201[/snapback]

You misread my post and my intentions so bady that there really is no point in responding. If at some point you want to discuss this with a little respect for eachother, let me know. You'll have to excuse me if I choose not to bother debating anything with someone who can't refrain from personal insults.

Endless occupation. 

Which isn't democracy, either.  Frankly, I've always thought the justification of "democracy for Iraq" was total bull sh-- anyway.  Akin to saying "You'll be a democratic society whether you want to or not!" 

Or worse: based in the unrealistically polyanna idea that anyone, once exposed to the Western liberal idea of democracy, will embrace it wholeheartedly to the exclusion of all else.  It's not entirely unlike Victorian England's attitude to the colonial world..."But of course you'll accept our rule, once you understand what it's like to be subject to the British crown..."  It's the same peculiar blind arrogance that, just because we accept it, everyone else must eventually come around to our point of view as well...

418200[/snapback]

I agree that it was unrealistically pollyannish but at the same time, I have to be honest and tell you that I seriously thought it coud be done. Damn that Friedman.

A responce from a highschool dropout,employed in the building trades.I thought from the begining, wmd scenario was a stretch,by the way it was being told to the public. Although I did not believe the ''nuke story'' and the drone planes, I did believe the chemical weapons were there. And it appears they destroyed them,due to the agreement from the last war we waged on iraq,or their hidden or moved. Now you would believe they they would use the chemicals with the mortars they launch at the american's. Thankfully that has not happened.Do I believe that iraq will be transformed into a democracy, no. Yeah I understand were building road's school's hospital's. Do I believe this war will prevent future attack's, from a another small militarized country, yeah.. Otherwise we will dominate.So hopefully the lesson that we displayed in iraq will show these countries that if you allow these types of organizations to function like they were in afghanistan, your done. Because BOMBING caves and mudhuts and controlling small villages is not sending a terrifying enough message !!! Will this make the U.S. safer,yeah. So in the end the message is do NOT mess with the U.S. good philisophy. Iraq deserve it???? Hopefully when their country recovers, and what faction rules,will be less insane then saddam.King of the hill is tough position to be in,always has always will. Now the question everyone's asking when will fuel prices go down. I say when we pullout of iraq, or the situation there settles down? I believe the only way that situation resolves is we back away with the satisfaction that the world know's we will not tolerate terrorist attack's.Although it seem's the message the middle east is giving in response is you want the oil, the price is going up. $2.70 a gallon, will probally go to $3.a gallon. We will get use to paying this amount, no choice.What was the price of gas before the war $1.20 a gallon ,we will never see that again.The best we can hope for is more fuel efficient motor's,and eventually elimanate oil as a fuel.

Hopefully this is the push to seriously find alternitave fuel. As for alqueda man i hope we keep hunting them, to the point of extinction. History will record it and unfortunately it will come down to religon ,muslim's against christian's. Same argument different millenium!!! Meanwhile in the end that oil keep's this country powerfull milatarily and socially. And the first gulf war was about oil,yeah I know we liberated kuwait,it was still protecting the flow of oil. It's allway's about the money..... Meanwhile why the hell are we in iraq????? needfull thing's. Just the way it is......wasn't henry david thorough who wrote about being a glutton when he lived in a cabin in the wood's on walden pond........humun nature.. HEY you people have a great site here,thankfull for the opprutunity to post...Glad I live in america , we are lucky to live in such a country...

Well, I'm not so sure about the kurds. They seem to have a genuine interest in democracy. The Sunnis are a lost cause.

The Shia, well, you had to think they would try and organize a theocracy.

My main question is WHY did the Sunnis not come to the table? They had so much to lose by not doing so.

417990[/snapback]

Well, the Sunnis are involved in all the wrangling over the constitution. It's also likely that they'll vote in large numbers in the referendum on the constitution.

Well, the Sunnis are involved in all the wrangling over the constitution. It's also likely that they'll vote in large numbers in the referendum on the constitution.

418593[/snapback]

I hope so, this effort at building a democracy there is in need of a morale boost.

Do you think that Iraqi's might have better luck with the "insurgency" with us out of the picture? It just seems to me that we have given the insurgency our best shot and they are still just as deadly as ever. I can't see why the Iraqi's would do any better but then again, maybe a homegrown force will succeed where a foreign one failed. What do you think?

Umm....I'm not sure that whether Colin Powell accurately described Pottery Barn's precise in-store breakage rule is really the point.

For the record, Powell is quoted by Woodward in Plan of Attack as referring to the "Pottery Barn Rule" and as describing it to the President:

"Now, if you break it, you made a mistake. It's the wrong thing to do. But you own it."

Columnist Thomas Friedman claims they got the reference from a column he wrote in February 2003 where he used the term "pottery store rule".  Friedman says that in speeches, he used the phrase "Pottery Barn rule".

My point, sticking with the metaphor, is that this pot was already broken before we walked in to the store.  We just picked up the sharpest pieces and tossed them away.  Let the Pottery Barn pick up the rest.

417505[/snapback]

Pottery Barn doesn't sell pots.

417686[/snapback]

Pottery Barn will replace it or refund your money.

I hope so, this effort at building a democracy there is in need of a morale boost.

Do you think that Iraqi's might have better luck with the "insurgency" with us out of the picture?  It just seems to me that we have given the insurgency our best shot and they are still just as deadly as ever.  I can't see why the Iraqi's would do any better but then again, maybe a homegrown force will succeed where a foreign one failed.  What do you think?

418628[/snapback]

The problem with the current Iraqi army is that it's inexperienced and underequipped. Most of it is made up of people who have never seen combat. It is also heavily infiltrated by the insurgency. Many of the soldiers have distinctly ambivalent feelings towards the US and that doesn't help much with motivation - there have been thousands of desertions and at least one or two occasions when battalions have actually started fighting on the side of the insurgents. The experience is all on the other side - it's almost certain that a significant number of the insurgents are soldiers who lost their jobs when Bremer took the crazy decision to disband the Iraqi army. Unlike the current Iraqi army, these are likely to be battle-hardened from experience gained in the Iran-Iraq war or the Gulf war (and it's sequel).

At the moment there's quite an unreal situation in Iraq due to the US presence. Everyone is playing hardball because they know the US will catch them if they fall. If the US was to leave or, at the very least, set a deadline for leaving, then it would help concentrate the minds of the leaders of the various communities to sort out their differences. They would have to come to some sort of agreement because the alternative would be unthinkable. In any event, in a few of the provinces, the situation is so bad it could hardly get any worse.

You've also got to take into account what effect a US withdrawal would have on the insurgency. I know the media likes to paint the insurgency with a one size fits all description but that just isn't the case. There are at least some insurgents who, while quite happy to attack the US military, would draw the line at killing fellow Iraqis. Some elements of the insurgency would stop fighting. Even ex-Baathists would have to start thinking seriously about the endgame and think about what will emerge in Iraq. The support that the insurgency draws from the Sunni community due to the occupation would also decrease. Of course there would still be the nutjobs like Zaqawi and his ilk who just like blowing stuff up, but without the presence of the Americans as a common enemy, many of the homegrown insurgents would quickly turn on them.

Frankly I think the US plan to impose it's vision on Iraq is destined to fail. Unless the US plans to stay for ever, as soon as it leaves whatever system is in place is likely to fall. Now that can either happen now or later on when thousands more Iraqis and Americans are dead and billions more dollars have been spent.

At the moment there's quite an unreal situation in Iraq due to the US presence. Everyone is playing hardball because they know the US will catch them if they fall. If the US was to leave or, at the very least, set a deadline for leaving, then it would help concentrate the minds of the leaders of the various communities to sort out their differences.

419019[/snapback]

Either that or they'd just enter a decade or so of bloodletting.

The problem with the current Iraqi army is that it's inexperienced and underequipped. Most of it is made up of people who have never seen combat. It is also heavily infiltrated by the insurgency. Many of the soldiers have distinctly ambivalent feelings towards the US and that doesn't help much with motivation - there have been thousands of desertions and at least one or two occasions when battalions have actually started fighting on the side of the insurgents. The experience is all on the other side - it's almost certain that a significant number of the insurgents are soldiers who lost their jobs when Bremer took the crazy decision to disband the Iraqi army.  Unlike the current Iraqi army, these are likely to be battle-hardened from experience gained in the Iran-Iraq war or the Gulf war (and it's sequel).

At the moment there's quite an unreal situation in Iraq due to the US presence. Everyone is playing hardball because they know the US will catch them if they fall. If the US was to leave or, at the very least, set a deadline for leaving, then it would help concentrate the minds of the leaders of the various communities to sort out their differences. They would have to come to some sort of agreement because the alternative would be unthinkable. In any event, in a few of the provinces, the situation is so bad it could hardly get any worse.

You've also got to take into account what effect a US withdrawal would have on the insurgency. I know the media likes to paint the insurgency with a one size fits all description but that just isn't the case. There are at least some insurgents who, while quite happy to attack the US military, would draw the line at killing fellow Iraqis. Some elements of the insurgency would stop fighting. Even ex-Baathists would have to start thinking seriously about the endgame and think about what will emerge in Iraq. The support that the insurgency draws from the Sunni community due to the occupation would also decrease. Of course there would still be the nutjobs like Zaqawi and his ilk who just like blowing stuff up, but without the presence of the Americans as a common enemy, many of the homegrown insurgents would quickly turn on them.

Frankly I think the US plan to impose it's vision on Iraq is destined to fail. Unless the US plans to stay for ever, as soon as it leaves whatever system is in place is likely to fall. Now that can either happen now or later on when thousands more Iraqis and Americans are dead and billions more dollars have been spent.

419019[/snapback]

Your end conclusion is exactly what I most concerns, that the result we are hoping to avoid by staying is an inevitable one. If that is the case, better we face it now, arrange some deadlines and start to withdraw rather than to do that anyway a year or two from now after many, many more soldiers are killed to no purpose.