So this is why

Mile High

From the article.

The Bills, led by quarterback Jim Kelly, were running their K-Gun offense -- multiple-receiver sets and hurry-up tempo -- with great success. Opposing teams tried many things to slow them down, but the only one that seemed to work was pressuring Kelly with the blitz. If a defense got a rush into Kelly's face, he often would do very foolish things with the ball.

Experts take on Bills vs. Miami in the 90's.

From the article.

The Bills, led by quarterback Jim Kelly, were running their K-Gun offense -- multiple-receiver sets and hurry-up tempo -- with great success. Opposing teams tried many things to slow them down, but the only one that seemed to work was pressuring Kelly with the blitz. If a defense got a rush into Kelly's face, he often would do very foolish things with the ball.

Experts take on Bills vs. Miami in the 90's.

All this speculation got me thinking.... if I had the knowledge of this article and 99 cents I could get a sh------- cup of coffee.

OK, so it took them 15 years to figure out how to stop Jim Kelly.  Lets hope it takes them that long to figure out JP too...

416284[/snapback]

I've actually thought that the K-Gun was never quite the same since Denver blitzed the hell out of us in the '91 title game. I mean, Pete Metzelars was our leading WR in '93.

I don't know if those Dolphin teams had the personnel to stop us no matter what kind of gameplan they came up with though. The '92 title game spanking in Miami certainly wasn't won with our offense anyway.

Defenses adapt given enough time to stop offenses. I think the K-gun was on top for about 2 years until D's caught up. My own opinion was to drop 7-8 to defend the pass, and make Buffalo beat you with the run. Yes, TT put up a lot of yards. But I think Kelly preferred to pass first and didn't have the patience to have 15 play drives mostly with the run. As proof see SB25. Lastly, Kelly had a great grasp of the game to be able to make all his own calls. But when up against the opposing team's entire coaching staff, making their own calls, he was out-numbered and out-planned

Since this putz self-titles himself "The Football Scientist," maybe instead of thinking up excuses for why his favorite team got rolled by the Bills in almost every game -- including every big game -- for a decade, he should apply his scientific knowledge to proving that Dan Marino caused the very problem that his defenders claim hamstrung him in big games -- i.e., Miami's lack of a running game.

Can we get the football scientist to commit the same amount of bandwidth on the reasons for 62-7?

:devil:

416346[/snapback]

:blush:

Ah, 62-7... one of the most glorious days of my football-watching life that did not involve watching the Bills. I still get the warm fuzzies just thinking about that game.

Did this guy watch those games???  Does anyone else remember seeing Kelly changing the play at the line when defense was getting ready to blitz. most of the time it was for a nice gain.

416374[/snapback]

The Dolphins blitzed plenty - that's why the middle screen to Thurman was so successful. Sure Kelly made some bad plays off blitzes, however, unlike Drew, he hit plenty of big plays that absolutely killed most teams that tried to blitz.

The other major error by Olividatti was trying to have Louie Oliver cover Andre Reed one-on-one.

I've actually thought that the K-Gun was never quite the same since Denver blitzed the hell out of us in the '91 title game.  I mean, Pete Metzelars was our leading WR in '93. 

I don't know if those Dolphin teams had the personnel to stop us no matter what kind of gameplan they came up with though.  The '92 title game spanking in Miami certainly wasn't won with our offense anyway.

416308[/snapback]

The things that slowed the K-Gun: No Marchibroda after 91, No Wolfordafter 92, No Ballard after 93...

The NO Saints were the closest to stopping it, with a blitz when those guys were there.

The Dolphins blitzed plenty - that's why the middle screen to Thurman was so successful. Sure Kelly made some bad plays off blitzes, however, unlike Drew, he hit plenty of big plays that absolutely killed most teams that tried to blitz.

416428[/snapback]

Major reason why Jimbo was a first ballot HOFer.

Did this guy watch those games???  Does anyone else remember seeing Kelly changing the play at the line when defense was getting ready to blitz. most of the time it was for a nice gain.

416374[/snapback]

Including a game in '94 or so when they threw the kitchen sink at Kelly at our 14-yard line and Jimbo hit Andre on a hot read. Andre went 86 for the touchdown.

Yeah, nice analysis, Football Scientist. :rolleyes:

The things that slowed the K-Gun:  No Marchibroda after 91, No Wolfordafter 92, No Ballard after 93...

Yeah, that's valid too.

The NO Saints were the closest to stopping it, with a blitz when those guys were there.

416494[/snapback]

Huh? We only played them once during those years and beat them in their house towards the end of '92 20-16.

Man, when Dr Z mentioned this guy who did the same thing, his book entitled Scietific Football, and it blasted Champ Baily and extolled the virtues of Lee Evans, we all praised it as a football bible. When Sully said Clements not in the same class as Baily, his book was mentioned several times as eveidence to the contrary.This is the same guy . He has a conclusion about something that speaks not negatively about the Bills, but just quotes his observations, and we say its voodo.

I, for one, buy into some these principals. Moneyball has sure worked for the Oakland A's , and these two guys are trying to apply the same priniples to football. Think if Billy Beane were in the NFL and on equal footing with all other teams in terms of spending money. I know, the A's haven't WON anything under Billy, but they are a dam sight more competitive every year than their spending should indicate

Huh?  We only played them once during those years and beat them in their house towards the end of '92 20-16.

416546[/snapback]

Like I said, it was close. I belive they had the best defense in the league that year. Kelly took a beating that day, but we still won... Not long after, we lost Wolford and the window started to close.

That article is a joke. The only teams that with any consistency could beat the bills in the early 90's were they played the bills on the road in a prime time monday night matchup. Looking back that means two teams, the Steelers and Chiefs. Teams like the jets played them close, but usually lost.

So I would add the science whizzes research that you needed to have all the odds stacked against the bills to hope to beat them. You needed them on the road on a monday in front of a rabid fan base playing against a team that had a great defense and usually more to proove than the bills. FYI Miami had none of that going for them, except they had a lot more to proove since they lost 17 out of 21.

I should also note that the Steelers and Cheifs got their tails handed to them every time during early 90's when the games were in december and mattered the most.

That article is a joke.  The only teams that with any consistency could beat the bills in the early 90's were they played the bills on the road in a prime time monday night matchup. Looking back that means two teams, the Steelers and Chiefs.  Teams like the jets played them close, but usually lost. 

So I would add the science whizzes research that you needed to have all the odds stacked against the bills to hope to beat them.  You needed them on the road on a monday in front of a rabid fan base playing against a team that had a great defense and usually more to proove than the bills.  FYI Miami had none of that going for them, except they had a lot more to proove since they lost 17 out of 21.

I should also note that the Steelers and Cheifs got their tails handed to them every time during early 90's when the games were in January and mattered the most.

416990[/snapback]

Fixed your post :rolleyes: