Bartman on SportsCenter...give this guy a break.

I can't believe Cubs fans hold Bartman accountable for losing the playoff series to the Marlins.

Here's the way I saw it, and this is the truth. I was flipping around that night, and came into the game to see Gonzales, the Cubs shortstop, boot a tailor made double play that would've ended the inning. I turned to my wife and said, "The Cubs just remembered they're the Cubs." And we chuckled and the Cubs lost. Prior blew up and got beat.

The next day I bought a Chicago Tribune at the airport, and that's when I found out about Bartman. I read that he cost the Cubs that game, and the entire city of Chicago was ready to kill the poor guy.

Here I was, thinking that the million dollar shortstop booting the double play ball cost them the game. I didn't realize that a couple minutes earlier Bartman got his hands on a foul ball that Alou might have caught. Might have.

So, what happened? Nothing, it was a foul ball. Nobody advanced. In fact, the guy ended up hitting into a double play, which was even more beneficial to the Cubs. Wait. Gonzales booted the ball, and the Cubs lost.

This Bartman guy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and all he did was what just about anybody else in the world would've done in his place. He saw a fly ball coming his way, and he tried to catch it. Like a true Cub, he dropped it. He is an accountant or banker or security guard or something. What he is not is a professional baseball player being paid to make plays. He's a fan.

The Cubs lost because of the error made by the player, not the fan.

Besides, that was game 6. Bartman, as far as I know, didn't pitch OR play in game 7, which the Cubs managed to screw up on their own.

I say the city of Chicago owes Bartman an apology.

Remember, it's far easier to concoct a simple explanation, even if it's wrong, than to think through the potential complexities of any situation. :devil:

America loves their scapegoats. Fits right in to the "black and white" ideology so near and dear to the media and your favorite neighborhood NeoCon.

America loves their scapegoats. Fits right in to the "black and white" ideology so near and dear to the media and your favorite neighborhood NeoCon.

415924[/snapback]

It's my understanding that "NeoCon" means someone who used to be a Dove, but is now a Hawk (lib to conservative). Please explain how the present administration is full of "NeoCons" (not looking for a political debate, just trying to clear the air on this one).

You're right. I'll bet Gonzalez is thankful for Bartman, otherwise his name would be mentioned in the same breath as Buckner.

Also, Bartman wasn't the only one reaching for the ball. The guy to his right lunged and missed.

It's my understanding that "NeoCon" means someone who used to be a Dove, but is now a Hawk (lib to conservative). Please explain how the present administration is full of "NeoCons" (not looking for a political debate, just trying to clear the air on this one).

415993[/snapback]

In my experience, 98% of the people who regularly use the term 'neocon' have zero clue about what it means. They think it is a derogatory term for anyone right of center, so they just spit it out like a good lemming.

btw, the Cubs still could have won game 7, but Kerry Wood didn't get it done.

415993[/snapback]

Neocon is a thinly veiled anti-semitic term used by liberals.

I can't believe Cubs fans hold Bartman accountable for losing the playoff series to the Marlins.

Here's the way I saw it, and this is the truth.  I was flipping around that night, and came into the game to see Gonzales, the Cubs shortstop, boot a tailor made double play that would've ended the inning.  I turned to my wife and said, "The Cubs just remembered they're the Cubs."  And we chuckled and the Cubs lost.  Prior blew up and got beat.

The next day I bought a Chicago Tribune at the airport, and that's when I found out about Bartman.  I read that he cost the Cubs that game, and the entire city of Chicago was ready to kill the poor guy. 

Here I was, thinking that the million dollar shortstop booting the double play ball cost them the game.  I didn't realize that a couple minutes earlier Bartman got his hands on a foul ball that Alou might have caught.  Might have. 

So, what happened?  Nothing, it was a foul ball.  Nobody advanced.  In fact, the guy ended up hitting into a double play, which was even more beneficial to the Cubs.  Wait.  Gonzales booted the ball, and the Cubs lost. 

This Bartman guy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and all he did was what just about anybody else in the world would've done in his place.  He saw a fly ball coming his way, and he tried to catch it.  Like a true Cub, he dropped it.  He is an accountant or banker or security guard or something.  What he is not is a professional baseball player being paid to make plays.  He's a fan.

The Cubs lost because of the error made by the player, not the fan.

Besides, that was game 6.  Bartman, as far as I know, didn't pitch OR play in game 7, which the Cubs managed to screw up on their own.

I say the city of Chicago owes Bartman an apology.

415851[/snapback]

This is a case where when in doubt blame the fan instead of the team. This is sick but to some Cubs fans they think that Bartman is responsible. I live in Chicago and I know first hand that this guy has gone through a lot of bad things. Innocent people don't deserve to get hasseled.

In my experience, 98% of the people who regularly use the term 'neocon' have zero clue about what it means.  They think it is a derogatory term for anyone right of center, so they just spit it out like a good lemming.

btw, the Cubs still could have won game 7, but Kerry Wood didn't get it done.

416054[/snapback]

I typically use "NeoCon" improperly just to read the indignant responses of those who like to wax pedantic about the misuse of the term. :devil: Gives me a good chuckle after a long day's work. Politics is great :blush:

This is a case where when in doubt blame the fan instead of the team.  This is sick but to some Cubs fans they think that Bartman is responsible.  I live in Chicago and I know first hand that this guy has gone through a lot of bad things.  Innocent people don't deserve to get hasseled.

416119[/snapback]

what have they done to this guy?

TC, your post so perfectly describes how I feel about this whole thing. Well done, friend.

Shameful is a word that comes to mind when I consider how much ESPN pimped that story and will continue to from the "Bartman angle." Notice how they neglected to focus or even report the botched double play or the happenings of Game 7 in the segment in question? It's all about Steve Bartman and how the Cubs nation holds him accountable. And you know why they do? Because many simple-minded fans eat up the sensationalism they see on such media outlets as SportsCenter as gospel. It's obviously too much trouble to formulate your own opinions of the situation - "hell, man, if ESPN is reporting it as is, then, damnit, that's the real story. Now, pass the Schlitz."

This poor guy considered plastic surgery to alter his identity because his life had become so absurdley troubled after the incident. You'd hope that maybe - just maybe- that the clueless execs at ESPN would have a shred of compassion or decency for the ruins that remain of his existence and choose one of the 10 million OTHER sports calamities to haunt Chicago sports over the past century. Nope, let's drudge up this poor sap and see if we can't re-ignite the rancor within these numb-head Cubbie fans. Just plain awful.

What more can you expect from the sports network that encourages bickering, malice, and mindless screaming (in other words: Stephen Smith, Sean Salisbury, and Michael Irvin).