Bledsoe's in midseason form!

/dev/null

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the Tivo of the Bledsoe last night.  Can't say he did anything bad.  More handoffs than passes.  Reasonable accurate on throws.  One sack wasn't his fault.

415380[/snapback]

From a previous thread, Fair & Balanced (HA!) analysis of the non-handoffs from MNF, broken down by good plays, bad plays, and meh plays:

1st drive:

Good -> DB executes a swing pass? WTF?

(1/0/0 overall)

2nd drive:

Good -> A strike to Meshawn, nice throw.

Meh -> Either an overthrow or bad route to someone I've never heard of. Since Madden has heard of DB, it must have been the receiver's fault. That didn't look very catchable for the receiver, but neither was it catchable for the cornerback.

(2/1/0 good/neutral/bad overall)

3rd drive:

Bad -> Pat, pat, throws into double coverage and should have been picked. Terrible. They were talking about this one on talk radio this morning.

Good -> Pulls it down and tries to run for it on 3rd... dives headfirst for the sticks and gets CREAMED, hope the blood vessels stay intact. Got close enough to go for it and make it on 4th down, although I think every other QB in the league coulda got the sticks and slid there.

Bad -> It's sack #1 as DL runs a twist, and that lack of escapability is there for all to see. Maybe he didn't have time to do anything, but that sack came from right where Drew was looking.

Meh -> 3rd down and Drew is running for his life, no hope for that play. Incomplete.

(3/2/2 overall)

4th drive:

Good -> Rollout right, complete.

Bad -> Play action, flare to the RB into his feet and uncatchable. We've seen that before. Drew's play action is still, well, awful.

Bad -> Another partial rollout, and again that pass is into the feet and takes away any YAC possibility for the receiver. Does a physical error that isn't corrected after 10 years become a mental error now?

Meh -> Slant to Meshawn, Trufant looked like he had good coverage and got a hand in there but had a handful of jersey for the phlag. I'll give Drew a pass on this, only because of the penalty... but Meshawn was way covered.

Good -> Screen to Jones set up and executed.

Good -> Nice completion on 3rd and long.

Good -> Play action swing pass executed and taken to the end zone, TD.

(7/3/4 overall)

So Drew made something positive happen on half the snaps where he was asked to do something, and that's not great but not bad either. That's not the number that killed us as Bills fans when he was here. It was always that last number. A QB misfiring on a quarter of the snaps relying on him is going to put the team behind the 8-ball all day long.

Now, I'd love to see this play-by-play compared to what Losman did in the GB game on his non-handoff plays. For sure, the nullified KGB safety is a bad play, and I don't know how many bad throws JP made, but the facts are that Drew made at least 3: one abysmal choice downfield, and two short balls into the feet of wide open receivers. The thing is, we've seen that over and over and over and over and we knew that was never going to change. Neither was Drew ever going to learn to execute play-action with any conviction, or be effective on the rollout, although Parcells was definitely calling both for him yesterday.

Seeing J.P. throw the ball away rather than forcing it into double coverage 40-yards downfield is not something we're used to seeing, but it takes a potential big negative play and turns it into a neutral. All the Bills need to make the playoffs and do serious damage with the D and ST they have, is to take maybe half of those 'BAD' plays and move them to the 'MEH' column.

And that, folks, is why Drew is in Dallas and J.P. is here.