Official start Kelly Holcomb Thread

CJPearl2

Just kiding.

But like I said earlier this year - Holcomb was the best offseason pick up.

413308[/snapback]

Oh man that was a shocker wasn't it?! :P

He could've gone elsewhere and maybe started but he thinks he sees something here. :o Like a big fat diamond ring, perhaps. :angry:

Oh man that was a shocker wasn't it?!    :P 

He could've gone elsewhere and maybe started but he thinks he sees something here.  :o    Like a big fat diamond ring, perhaps.    :angry:

413546[/snapback]

Yep its good to have a cappable back-up!

Just kiding.

413308[/snapback]

Only if you presume Losman's going to get injured. I expect he'll be given a very long leash, and that no matter how badly Losman sucks it up Holcomb will still ride the bench. For Holcomb to start in place of an uninjured Losman would require Losman to have a season SO bad it would surprise even the people like me who expect him to be a career bust.

Only if you presume Losman's going to get injured.  I expect he'll be given a very long leash, and that no matter how badly Losman sucks it up Holcomb will still ride the bench.  For Holcomb to start in place of an uninjured Losman would require Losman to have a season SO bad it would surprise even the people like me who expect him to be a career bust.

413881[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you but with the roster we have I dont't think they would give him any more than 3 games. We aren't rebuilding or a team in transition. Waaaaay too much defensive talent, and offensive talent to flush a season.

Normally I would agree with you but with the roster we have I dont't think they would give him any more than 3 games. We aren't rebuilding or a team in transition. Waaaaay too much defensive talent, and offensive talent to flush a season.

413890[/snapback]

If the Bills were in the mindset of pulling Losman after 3 games they would have kept the dope from Seattle.

He's ours for better or for worse in '05.

If the Bills were in the mindset of pulling Losman after 3 games they would have kept the dope from Seattle.

He's ours for better or for worse in '05.

413893[/snapback]

I agree. Though CCD has a point, you look at this staff and front office and you see a bunch of guys that come from an organization (Pittsburgh) that has pursued long-term competitiveness rather than short-term goals. Given that history, and assuming (as I do) that the Pittsburgh mindset has carried over, I see no reason to believe Losman won't be given a very long leash and be allowed to make as many mistakes as he can manage.

And normally I'd agree with that plan...except I don't like Losman and expect to see him make a lot of mistakes.

except I don't like Losman and expect to see him make a lot of mistakes.

413910[/snapback]

Funny, wouldn't he be making some now? The only mistake he made last night was the safety, and that was called back. On the otherhand, he made about 3 great plays, that either kept drives alive, or resulted in a TD. He also threw a near perfect pass to Josh Reed, that was dropped and would have resulted in a TD.

I don't know if JP is going to be a bust, or Hall of Famer. All I do know is, after watching him play two games, I already have more confidence in him then I had in Drew. On top of that, he's 10 times more exciting.

If I had money, I'd be willing to bet you he'll be more of a solution to the offense, then the problem. That's all I want from our QB, and that's what we haven't gotten in years.

Funny,  wouldn't he be making some now?  The only mistake he made last night was the safety,  and that was called back.  On the otherhand,  he made about 3 great plays,  that either kept drives alive,  or resulted in a TD.  He also threw a near perfect pass to Josh Reed,  that was dropped and would have resulted in a TD.

I don't know if JP is going to be a bust,  or Hall of Famer.  All I do know is,  after watching him play two games,  I already have more confidence in him then I had in Drew.  On top of that,  he's 10 times more exciting.

If I had money,  I'd be willing to bet you he'll be more of a solution to the offense,  then the problem.  That's all I want from our QB,  and that's what we haven't gotten in years.

413939[/snapback]

If I had money, I'd take that bet. But my wife "needs a new wardrobe". :D

And I haven't seen this weekend's game yet (waiting for the NFL Network's rerun of it). But I'm willing to bet that the safety isn't necessarily his mistake anyway. Just because something bad happens to the guy with the ball, it doesn't mean he's the one that !@#$ed up. Could have easily been a lineman out of place, or even the opposing defense simply doing everything right, which does happen. But like I said...I still have to watch the game.

There's also the problem of objectively measuring his performance for such a bet, of course. But really, expecting a sophmore QB with a full - what, eight plays of pro experience (discounting preseason, which I think is valid - college ain't preseason ain't regulation)? - to be the solution to the offense is a little optimistic, to put it mildly. Personally, I think it borders on delusional. :P

If I had money, I'd take that bet.  But my wife "needs a new wardrobe".  :D

And I haven't seen this weekend's game yet (waiting for the NFL Network's rerun of it).  But I'm willing to bet that the safety isn't necessarily his mistake anyway.  Just because something bad happens to the guy with the ball, it doesn't mean he's the one that !@#$ed up.  Could have easily been a lineman out of place, or even the opposing defense simply doing everything right, which does happen.  But like I said...I still have to watch the game.

There's also the problem of objectively measuring his performance for such a bet, of course.  But really, expecting a sophmore QB with a full - what, eight plays of pro experience (discounting preseason, which I think is valid - college ain't preseason ain't regulation)? - to be the solution to the offense is a little optimistic, to put it mildly.  Personally, I think it borders on delusional.  :P

413970[/snapback]

It is a Sunday, I may be slightly under the influence. :P

Just kiding.

413308[/snapback]

Heading into the pre season game against the Chicago Bears this week (look what unfortuantley happened with QB Rex Grossman), it shows that getting veteran QB like Holcomb was not only the best pickup of the offseason for us, it was also extremely wise by TD and company

At least it's not a Bledsoe thread.

413976[/snapback]

Just a thought, but wonder what camp would have been like if Bledsoe had said" Okay, I'm a team guy and I will be JPs backup and take less money". Boy wouldn't that have made fro some interesting debates if JP sucked up the joint first couple of games