Coy Wire leads the league

How did Coy lead the team in tackles yesterday then? Once again, I just don't get.

413720[/snapback]

I watched the game, sort of keeping an eye on Wire, just to see how bad the guy really is. What I see is that he almost always tackles a guy (if you can consider it "tackling") by the lower leg.

I'm trying to find any instance of the old "open field tackle" where Coy faces the man and wraps him up, taking him down! I'm not sure this is in Wire's repertoire.

I really don't like to harp on a guy, but in this case, I think it is warranted. He is out of his league out there on the field. Let's hope cutdown day implements that "out of his league" thing.

Led the team in tackles??? He was out there much of the 2nd half, and made some tackles (ankle tackles!).

I recall hearing other DBs names called for making plays. Marvin Ward, Oglesby, and especially Jim Leonhard.

Did you miss the entire "Zach Thomas" portion of the thread? Do you know why Zach always leads the Dolphins in tackles and thus goes to the Pro Bowl? Because he's the 8th guy to arrive at the pile 10 yards downfield and they still give him an assist.

413726[/snapback]

If he led the team in assits yesterday I would have said he led the team in assists. He led the team in tackles not assists. There is a big difference. Zach Thomas or Coy Wire do not get credit for a tackle by "piling on", that is how it works. Oh well, I guess every preseason needs a whipping boy.

If he led the team in assits yesterday I would have said he led the team in assists. He led the team in tackles not assists. There is a big difference. Zach Thomas or Coy Wire do not get credit for a tackle by "piling on", that is how it works. Oh well, I guess every preseason needs a whipping boy.

413887[/snapback]

This is not a matter of picking some underachieving player and making him a whipping boy.

Watch the man play football, and see if you would choose him to play on your team.

He may have led the Bills in tackles yesterday, but he probably had lots of PT in which to reach that milestone.

In watching the playback, I replayed many of Wire's tackles. When Coy begins his tackle, the runner frequently gets another 2 or 3 yards just due to the nature of Wire's "drag 'em down by the leg" style.

I know Antoine Winfield is an extreme example of a tackler, but when AW tackled you, you would generally get NO MORE YARDS!

I don't expect any DB to match AW's tackling prowess, but the friggin' Jills could probably drag a runner down by the ankle once he has already gone by!

In watching the playback, I replayed many of Wire's tackles. When Coy begins his tackle, the runner frequently gets another 2 or 3 yards just due to the nature of Wire's "drag 'em down by the leg" style.

This is an excellent point - and is another thing I've said (and observed) since his rookie year - most of the tackles he does make are from behind as the play is passing him by, 4-5 yards down the field from where the original contact should have been made (and are usually assisted by someone else coming over to meet the ball carrier head on).

I just watched part of the Green Bay game again, and Coy Wire was blitzing, and had his arms around the waist (?) of QB Craig Nall, but Nall got the pass away and was still standing after the play.

It's not often you will see a blitzing safety NOT bring down a QB. There was no RB or OL helping the QB avoid the blitzer. Wire clung to Nall, just could not bring him down.

Doesn't Jerry Gray teach fundamental tackling? And wouldn't he notice when one of his safeties does it very poorly?

I just watched part of the Green Bay game again, and Coy Wire was blitzing, and had his arms around the waist (?) of QB Craig Nall, but Nall got the pass away and was still standing after the play.

It's not often you will see a blitzing safety NOT bring down a QB. There was no RB or OL helping the QB avoid the blitzer. Wire clung to Nall, just could not bring him down.

Doesn't Jerry Gray teach fundamental tackling? And wouldn't he notice when one of his safeties does it very poorly?

414041[/snapback]

One would think that Grey wouldn't have to teach NFL players the basics of tackling..... But anyway, you're completely right the guy doesn't know how to tackle and never makes a "play" on his own (that I can remember). He does do good things for the community and is a role model (yada yada yada). But he is taking up a valuable roster space and really needs to be let go. Period. He is always out of place and has been beaten badly over the past couple of years. I used to complain about him all the time and couldn't believe that he made the team last year. Not to mention I couldn't get over the fact that they resigned him this offseason.

The only thing that's possibly keeping him on the team is that he is the special team's captain.

I'm out.

The only thing that's possibly keeping him on the team is that he is the special team's captain.

414042[/snapback]

That's funny, too, about the special teams. I keep hearing that as the reason Coy hangs on is his ST work.

But I'm watching these games (and rewinding some ST plays just to see what new guys are doing what), and I don't see Coy out there on ST.

Does anyone here know what position Coy plays, and on which units? He's seems to not be on ST much, or is that because they are trying out so many new guys?

I've seen Lionel Gates and Tory Woodbury and Geo Wilson flying down there making tackles of the return men, but where is the "captain" in all of this?

I realize they can't all be gunners, but I would expect the ST captain to have SOME visibility...

I don't really understand why anyone would put an ounce of faith in his playing ability. I was never a big Lawyer Milloy fan but when he went down last year and Wire replaced him, it got ugly. Not only is he not that adept of a tackler but his coverage skills fall somewhere between awful and J.D. Williams. Please go away Coy, you suck.

I still remember Week 3 of the 2002 game in Denver, when he made one of his finer plays - a moderately hard hit at the goaline which didn't seem to bother the WR as he hung on to the ball for a big gain. Randy Cross was doing to game for CBS and said: "Wow, I think I have a new favorite football player" and he wasn't talking about the WR. I was like, "really? This guy stinks". My opinion hasn't changed. I wonder if Randy's has.

I was never a big Lawyer Milloy fan but when he went down last year and Wire replaced him, it got ugly. 

414049[/snapback]

I didn't appreciate what Milloy brought to the table either until he was gone. It was quite a dropoff without him in there.