Nate Clements

1billsfan

The other Clements thread became a spitting contest on a single play from 2004. Getting back to point, what I want to bring up is that I think we should wait till this season is over to negotiate with Nate. If he is not going to settle for anything less than top money then let him prove it THIS season! The only reason you extend a player a year before he hits free agency is that the player is willing to drop his price to have as insurance against an injury in that final year. If Nate isn't willing to deal then let him prove his worth in the final contract year. He may have an off season, which will drop his price, or he may have a top cornerback season in which he proves his worthiness of a top contract.

The other Clements thread became a spitting contest on a single play from 2004. Getting back to point, what I want to bring up is that I think we should wait till this season is over to negotiate with Nate. If he is not going to settle for anything less than top money then let him prove it THIS season! The only reason you extend a player a year before he hits free agency is that the player is willing to drop his price to have as insurance against an injury in that final year. If Nate isn't willing to deal then let him prove his worth in the final contract year. He may have an off season, which will drop his price, or he may have a top cornerback season in which he proves his worthyness of a top contract.

412894[/snapback]

I think one thing TD has shown clearly is that he will not 'overpay' any player. That isn't a worry you should have. The Bills and Clements' agent should be talking now. If they reach an agreement it will be a good one for Nate and for the Bills.

Negotiate with him after he hits the open market? BRILLIANT!!!

412895[/snapback]

Dude, he wants top money NOW. How is paying him that kind of scratch a year before he hits free agency the smart thing to do? It's called making Nate PROVE himself in 2005, thats a good thing for the Bills. Apparently, you just want to give it to him a year before he earns it.

We all know Nate is worth a lot of money but we all seem to agree that he's not the TOP cornerback in the NFL. Well Nate, here's your chance. Go prove it baby!

Dude, he wants top money NOW. How is paying him that kind of scratch a year before he hits free agency the smart thing to do? It's called making Nate PROVE himself in 2005, thats a good thing for the Bills. Apparently, you just want to give it to him a year before he earns it.

We all know Nate is worth a lot of money but we all seem to agree that he's not the TOP cornerback in the NFL. Well Nate, here's your chance. Go prove it baby!

412903[/snapback]

Of course he WANTS. Gets could be a much different thing. Clements won't come cheaply now, but after the season the price tag does go up. It is a very smart move to try to get this done now.

If you can get him for about 5M-6M/year on average you do it. If he has a year like last year he is gone via free agency. Athletes tend to have great contract years, so I think he will have a very good year. Look at all the recent CB signings and they continue to go up which makes him very difficult and more expensive to sign.

All signs lead to a deal being completed soon.  He'll never see the open market, he'll be happy, and he'll be locked into a long term deal.

412975[/snapback]

I just don't see it happening. He wants to be paid like the best CB in the league (which he's not). Personally, I prefer not paying any one position that much cash, no matter how good the player is.

I just don't see it happening.  He wants to be paid like the best CB in the league (which he's not).  Personally, I prefer not paying any one position that much cash, no matter how good the player is.

413003[/snapback]

NC is one of the best CBs in the league.

NC wants to be paid like the best CBs in the league.

The bills have cap space

NC will be paid like the best CB in the league

The Bills will give NC a fat contract during this season.

If you don't want to pay the best player money, then you're team will be the arizona cardinals. I prefer paying nate clements a lot of money to keep him here. TD won't overpay, but he will pay what NC is worth, which is A LOT of money.

TD will not let NC go even if he has to use the franchise tag.  He has been willing to pay players in their prime.

413012[/snapback]

And if he doesn't sign him in the next two weeks he will use the tag. But I believe something will get done. But the tag will be used only for a draft pick, not to negotiate.

That is the last straw- don't let the door hit ya.

NC is one of the best CBs in the league.

NC wants to be paid like the best CBs in the league.

The bills have cap space

NC will be paid like the best CB in the league

The Bills will give NC a fat contract during this season.

If you don't want to pay the best player money, then you're team will be the arizona cardinals.  I prefer paying nate clements a lot of money to keep him here.  TD won't overpay, but he will pay what NC is worth, which is A LOT of money.

413010[/snapback]

The Bills do have cap space (about $3 million is last estimate from Clumpy I remember) but there is an outstanding question as to whether that cap space is enough to pay NC whatthe market is likely to provide him and/or he asks for.

From what I see and the incomplete sense we all have of the Bills cap because we are not privy to all the contracts or TD's budget (which ultimately must satisfy RWS) if NC wants and the market sets his pay at the level of the best CB in the league it will be very very very hard if not impossible to satisfy this level of pay with the cap room we have.

There are tons of mechanism for making huge salary levels work within the CBA such as tiered bonuses, but al of these have risks for either side beyond the pure salary amount which they may or may not be willing to take.

There is also a big unanswerable question for us fans of how much of less than market valuedo you think NC is willing to take to be a Bill.

On the contrary to those who feel a deal can and will be done quite soon, I disagree because it is simply too uncertain without being in both TDs and NCs heads and hearts to know whether a deal will be done soon or cannot be done at all.

However in the guesstimate world all of us outside parties live in, it looks pretty unlikely by he numbers that if NC wants to be paid like a top 5 CB that it will even be mathematically possible to satisfy this requirement under the CBA until the new much larger salary cap is in effect.

I hope i am wrong and will be pleased to see someone give the numbers that work rather than all of our fact-free hope this will work.

As was stated, TD will not overpay, and in many cases not pay market value for a player. His speciality is to collect a group of players who want to play for a contract that will not bust the cap, and who want an opportunity to prove their worth. Nate wants top dollar, and believes he has proven it so regardless of his season, he thinks a big payday awaits him. TD will not bite. Say goodbye to Nate, just like we did to AW, Jennings, Williams, etc.

I think one thing TD has shown clearly is that he will not 'overpay' any player.  That isn't a worry you should have.  The Bills and Clements' agent should be talking now.  If they reach an agreement it will be a good one for Nate and for the Bills.

412897[/snapback]

Wrong. If we didn't have a $9 Mil./year right tackle, we probably could

pay Clements.

0:)

As was stated, TD will not overpay, and in many cases not pay market value for a player.  His speciality is to collect a group of players who want to play for a contract that will not bust the cap, and who want an opportunity to prove their worth.  Nate wants top dollar, and believes he has proven it so regardless of his season, he thinks a big payday awaits him.  TD will not bite.  Say goodbye to Nate, just like we did to AW, Jennings, Williams, etc.

413022[/snapback]

My feeling is that he was faced with five players who wanted top dollar. He paid two of them, Spikes and Moulds, and he didn't pay three of them, Antoine, Phat Pat and Jennings. Right now, it is very hard IMO to argue with any of those five decisions considering what he would have had to pay.

The Moulds and the Spikes decision were clearly correct. The AW decision is almost a lock (and I say that with AW being one of my favorite players) because TD got Vincent and McGee to replace him for less than AW's price, and our defense was better. The Jennings decision IMO is also a no brainer because he was good but certainly not worth the top OT money that he got. Phat Pat, IMO, is yet to be determined but I like what I see out of Edwards and the defense so far. Which of those five decisions do you not agree with?

He also paid top dollar to Mike Williams but he really had no choice because of the slotting involved with high draft picks.

412903[/snapback]

What does he have left to prove? He is a top DB in the league and he is only 25. If you dont think so team would outbid the Bills in the open market your nuts.

As was stated, TD will not overpay, and in many cases not pay market value for a player.  His speciality is to collect a group of players who want to play for a contract that will not bust the cap, and who want an opportunity to prove their worth.  Nate wants top dollar, and believes he has proven it so regardless of his season, he thinks a big payday awaits him.  TD will not bite.  Say goodbye to Nate, just like we did to AW, Jennings, Williams, etc.

413022[/snapback]

In addition to the folks stated above like Williams, Spikes and Moulds who TD paid the market rate or higher to, TD also overpaid for Bledsoe and also made an overpayment though it was the market demanded at the time for Milloy.

Do you think the TD contract extension for Bledsoe was not an overpayment?

Do you think TD did not make a huge payment to Milloy because that is what the supply/demand market required?

Do you think the slotted salary of MW was not a huge payment that he has not merited (yet)?

Do you think that the Moulds contract was such a good deal that we easily will pay it next year?

Do you think we got Spikes for a song?

The reality of payments TD has made and your conclusion that he refuses to pay big nucks are simply different. How do you explain these numerous exceptions so that your rule simply does not apply.

Wrong.  If we didn't have a $9 Mil./year right tackle, we probably could

pay Clements.

0:)

413031[/snapback]

Debate whether he was the right player to take, but you can't debate the price. He was slotted based on the players before and after him. He's making a ton of money based on where he was taken.