Who would you rather have opening day...

Estro

With all this talk about Losman being a first year QB (which some think means a step back) and the talk about the Jets being decent this year I started thinking:

If you had your choice right now, all things considered, who would you rather have the Bills head into the 2005 season with, Losman or Pennington?

Me personally I'd take Losman.  He has a ton of potential in front of him, and I know potential doesn't mean anything, but I have faith in him.  I believe Pennington, on the other hand, hasn't lived up to his potential.  I think the guys arm strength is a clear weakness, and I don't see much upside with him.

Go BILLS!!!

410392[/snapback]

No brainer, Pennington....

No brainer, Pennington....

410866[/snapback]

Pretty good question. My roommate is a big Jets fan, and obviously likes Pennington. When he is on, he looks good. But my friend says it is absolute torture to watch him when his accuracy is even just a little off. With his soft tosses, the timing with the receivers has to be right on. When C.P. is on point, the receiver comes out of his break and the ball is right there. But if he is off, every single 10 yard "out" pattern is an adventure. My roomie hates the Bills, but he even mentioned last year that while Bledsoe did suck, he was very envious of a quarterback with a cannon.

Plus, C.P. (and JP too) has yet to make it through a full season without an injury.

Based on that, I would take JP.

With all this talk about Losman being a first year QB (which some think means a step back) and the talk about the Jets being decent this year I started thinking:

If you had your choice right now, all things considered, who would you rather have the Bills head into the 2005 season with, Losman or Pennington?

Me personally I'd take Losman.  He has a ton of potential in front of him, and I know potential doesn't mean anything, but I have faith in him.  I believe Pennington, on the other hand, hasn't lived up to his potential.  I think the guys arm strength is a clear weakness, and I don't see much upside with him.

Go BILLS!!!

410392[/snapback]

for this season? easy - pennington.

When I said, "all things considered" i meant including their futures not just this one year.

I agree with the poster who talked about Buffalo's weather.  Pennington's arm, a clear weakness, wouldn't stand a chance in Buffalo.  If you notice the Jets always seem to stumble down the stretch, I wonder if any of that could be attributed to Chad playing poorly in inclimate weather.

On the other hand Losman is known for his "strong" arm, and although he doesn't have nearly the experience I would still choose him over Pennington right now.

410550[/snapback]

do you really think the weather at giants stadium is much better? it's very windy there, and certainly cold enough come december.

No I don't think the weather is much better (although I think it's probably a lot windier here, which has the most effect of all). Also don't the Jets always seem to play worse late in the season, could it be that Pennington plays worse late in the year?

I think the answer to this one is easy because the key to winning for both teams is the same given the skills and status of these two athletes. They key for either of these two0 teams is to design and implement their O and the team as a whole so that neither is dependent upon QB performance to win.

This is a tough thing to do but the best job of doing this was the Ravens in their SB year when their D was so good they won it all with their QB being called upon only as a caretaker minimizing mistakes.

Pennington is a better player than JP this year because of his experience. However, his recovery from injury simply makes him too uncertain an element to count on and the Jets will do well building around the newly acquired Ty Law and asking Fiedler (not a winning QB in the past in a big enough way) to caretake if necessary to allow them to win.

JP is not an injury issue as he shows all signs of being fully recovered from the fracture which reduced his PT (thankfully as the study time was what he needed to develop) last year. However, in addition to the study time and the needed attitude adjustments MM gave him by throwing him into the NE game, JP like all QBs will need some gametime to truly develop and at times he is likely to be downright awful until he does.

There are extraordinary cases like BB/Weis managing Brady where this can be done quite well and cases like Pitts and RoboQB where he failed in a Bledsoe like fashion when called upon to lead the team to victory against the Pats in the conference title game, but he was tolerable putting up pederstrian stats while the Bus and Staley carried the O load for them last year.

It really depends on what happens like most things but looking at it theoretically on the opening day question for different reasons these two QBs are the same for a team that wants to win next year.