Bills RB question; 1966 playoff versus KC??

LabattBlue

During the 1966 season the bulk of the rushing attempts were by Bobby Burnett(187) & Wray Carlton(156). In the AFL Championship game that year versus Kansas City(winner played in Super Bowl I), Burnett had only 3 carries, Carlton had none and a player by the last name of Gillon had 9 carries.

Here's my question...Who the heck was Gillon and why did he get the most carries in this game? I don't see his name in the regular season stats for the '66 season, he is not listed in the all-time Bills player alphabetical listing nor can I find a reference to him at profootballreference.com.

PS My reference for everything posted above is the 2005 Bills Media Guide.

Thanks to any "old timers" who may remember this game and know the answer to this question! :D

Guest BackInDaDay
During the 1966 season the bulk of the rushing attempts were by Bobby Burnett(187) & Wray Carlton(156).  In the AFL Championship game that year versus Kansas City(winner played in Super Bowl I), Burnett had only 3 carries, Carlton had none and a player by the last name of Gillon had 9 carries. 

Here's my question...Who the heck was Gillon and why did he get the most carries in this game?  I don't see his name in the regular season stats for the '66 season, he is not listed in the all-time Bills player alphabetical listing nor can I find a reference to him at profootballreference.com.

Thanks to any "old timers" who may remember this game and know the answer to this question! :D

409357[/snapback]

Sorry LB, all I remember from that game was an obvious Bobby Bell clip on a KO or punt return that wasn't called. I was 10 years old, and unknown to me at the time, I was beginning my slow, tortuous decent into the dark, melancholic pit of Bill's fandom. :lol:

During the 1966 season the bulk of the rushing attempts were by Bobby Burnett(187) & Wray Carlton(156).  In the AFL Championship game that year versus Kansas City(winner played in Super Bowl I), Burnett had only 3 carries, Carlton had none and a player by the last name of Gillon had 9 carries. 

Here's my question...Who the heck was Gillon and why did he get the most carries in this game?  I don't see his name in the regular season stats for the '66 season, he is not listed in the all-time Bills player alphabetical listing nor can I find a reference to him at profootballreference.com.

409357[/snapback]

I remember watching that game and I don't remember any player on the Bills ever with that name. You're right, no one is listed on the Bills with that name. The two back-up RBs that year were Jack Spikes and Allen Smith and those two, plus Keith Lincoln, Charlie Bivins and Gene Donaldson were the back-ups to Burnett and Carlton in the following year, 1967. It seems unfathomable that there was a player on the Bills that was never listed on their roster, that never had a carry in the 1966 or 1967 regular season that played and carried the ball in the 1966 Championship Game. My only response is that the stats you saw for that game were erroneous wherever you saw them, which apparently (as I just looked) was from the Bills website. I would guess that it was just a mistake and that Wray Carlton had the 9-31 game rushing not "Gillon".

409357[/snapback]

The Football Encyclopedia says that Carlton was 9/31, Burnett 3/6 and Kemp 1/3. No mention of a Gillon on the roster. It was the beginning of the Great

Dark Age - maybe 4 winning seasons out of the next 20. Ralph never should have gotten rid of me.

The Football Encyclopedia says that Carlton was 9/31, Burnett 3/6 and Kemp 1/3.  No mention of a Gillon on the roster.  It was the beginning of the Great

Dark Age - maybe 4 winning seasons out of the next 20. Ralph never should have gotten rid of me.

409396[/snapback]

I will send an email to the Bills and make them aware of this. I don't know how you get Gillon from Carlton. Maybe it was some intern working on the media guide who wanted to see his name in it and figured..."Who will ever be looking at the stats for a game that was played almost 40 years ago?" :D

The Football Encyclopedia says that Carlton was 9/31, Burnett 3/6 and Kemp 1/3.  No mention of a Gillon on the roster.  It was the beginning of the Great

409396[/snapback]

Though '67 is one of the media guides I'm still looking for, Relentless confirms that "Gillon" should instead read "Carlton".

A few other errors in the new book, too - for one, they continue the now-yearly tradition of insisting Billy Shaw was put on the Wall of Fame in 1999 (the year he was enshrined in the Hall of Fame) instead of the year it actually happened, 1988.

I do like the fact that they finally put in season-by-season individual/team stats, though. Long overdue.....