Plane crash in Greece this weekend

Fezmid

I read about this yesterday, but just heard about the frozen bodies today.  That's a pretty terrible way to die... :)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/08/15...rash/index.html

CW

407621[/snapback]

The gtragedy is horrible, but mostly reading the article my sense of sorrow keeps getting ditracted by the bizarre and somewhat contradictory accounts and descriptions, particularly those given by officials which I would hope would not invest in dramatic overstatments which simply will confuse relatives already overwhelmd with grief and cause folks to jump to wrong conclusions.

I'm not even sure what being "frozen solid" means beyond how folks use to look when Mr. Freeze got them on the old Batman show, but how an official draws a conclusion that folks are frozen solid from an examination of bodies burned by the fire of a plane crash is beyond me.

How some frozen solid people are seen by the F-16 jet fighters trying to gain control of the airplane is also beyond me.

How a frozen person makes a cellphone call is also a bit of a feat.

The reports from witnesses of being frozen solid and also being too hot reported in the article sound a bit contradictory to say the least.

The air condiioning problem is probably relevant as some indication of past electrical problems which MAY be a factor in a catastrophic breakdown which led to sudden oxygen lost which overcame the pilot so that he could not bring the plane down to a breathable air level, but the article almost makes it sound like the silliness that people "froze solid" because they set the air conditioner temperature too low.

The horror of a plane crash simply deserves better reporting than this article. If its too early to make conclusions from the reports and lack of data then say that.

but the article almost makes it sound like the silliness that people "froze solid" because they set the air conditioner temperature too low.

I didn't get that from the article at all. They think that the cabin depressurized. If it did that while 20,000' in the air, everyone would freeze to death. They also said that the oxygen masks were enabled and that most of the bodies had the masks on.

CW

The reports from witnesses of being frozen solid and also being too hot reported in the article sound a bit contradictory to say the least.

407672[/snapback]

Those were reported complaints from other planes over the last few weeks/months.

for what it is worth, bbc radio is calling the "frozen solid" claim an exagerration.

407733[/snapback]

I'm no Dungtossingsimian, but if the bodies were, in fact, frozen solid, then when the plane crashed wouldn't all the bodies have shattered? I mean, that's the way it happens in "Demolition Man," so you gotta figure... :)

I didn't read the article but I will add that if a plane depressurrized at high altitude, due to lack of oxygen, you get pretty stupid (& uncoordinated) very quickly. Under these conditions, it would be possible to freeze to death (as it does get cold up there).

Reminds me of a Payne Stewart joke -

He was great under pressure, but not too good w/o :)

I'm no Dungtossingsimian, but if the bodies were, in fact, frozen solid, then when the plane crashed wouldn't all the bodies have shattered? I mean, that's the way it happens in "Demolition Man," so you gotta figure... :)

407742[/snapback]

Under optimum conditions, it takes about 48-72 hours to freeze a body solid, anyway.

Don't ask me how I know that.

Under optimum conditions, it takes about 48-72 hours to freeze a body solid, anyway. 

Don't ask me how I know that.

407776[/snapback]

Is this going to show up somewhere on the 101 things thread...? :)

i always wondered how dogs rode in the cargo section of the plane

ever open your suitcase immediately after getting picking it up at baggage claim? the contents are freezing

407999[/snapback]

There is a small area that is pressurized for creatures in the cargo-nose area of the plane. Though, some of the ground crews have put animals in the wrong hold in the past. Its sad to see.