Great chat session tonight!

SDS

Thanks - I got in last year w/ firewall running - don't ask me how. I'll fiddle around a bit, with little idea about what I am doing. :blink:

407031[/snapback]

I had trouble getting in last year because of my firewall - but no trouble last night - I know my wife changed our security system but can't say what it is -

I thought SDS said he changed something about the Chat Room ?

Well done. It is virtually impossible to get 90 people to agree on anything, yet you managed to find a common thread amongst us all - your removal.  That's quite the set of social skills you have there.  :blink:

407020[/snapback]

Scott, I didn't attack anybody or was being as ass or obnoxious. Just because I spoke my mind about the "offensive" line and it's putrid performance against Indy's 2nd and 3rd stringers didn't deserve the treatment I got from everybody else there.

What everyone seems to forget that unless they stop playing like this, we're going to go on that same 0-4 road we had last year! I'll be the first, like last year, not to blame the QB! I'm more objective than most on this board.

WRT firewalls, every "service" running on the computer runs on a "port." HTTP, mail, telnet, ftp, etc. servers each have incoming port numbers that they "listen" to for requests. The ports used are the same on practically every system out there. Many firewalls are set up "out-of-box" to support only the ports for "standard" services (mostly the ones mentioned above). IRC is another such service, and it requires two ports: one outgoing (for you to make requests of the server) and one incoming (for the IRC server to talk to you). The server generally (and in this case) "listens" on port 113, while the server expects you generally to be "listening" on 6667. Your firewall hardware/software will need to allow outgoing transmissions on port 113, and incoming on 6667 for IRC to work. Some firewalls are set up by default to be "inclusive" (the list of ports shows the only ports that will work), others "exclusive" (the list of ports shows the ports that are not allowed to work), which is why different firewalls/settings would show different results. Whatever the case, you need to set up your firewall to allow communication over these ports before it will work...am I wrong, fellow nerds?

WRT firewalls, every "service" running on the computer runs on a "port."  blah...blah...blah.... Whatever the case, you need to set up your firewall to allow communication over these ports before it will work...am I wrong, fellow nerds?

407534[/snapback]

Sounds right to me. Not sure of the exact port numbers, but your explaination is correct that some firewalls do not have the ports set as open as the default.

Just because I spoke my mind about the "offensive" line and it's putrid performance......I'm more objective than most on this board.

It has NOTHING to do with the offensive line, your amazing objectivity, or for that matter anything to do with the Bills or football. It's simply a matter of you not having any idea when to shut up.

I didn't attack anybody or was being as ass or obnoxious

I believe that you and the rest of the world have wildly different ideas on what constitutes being an obnoxious ass. My theory is supported by the fact that after you finally got the boot, several people took the time and effort to thank the moderator and express their relief that you were gone. Like I repeatedly tell my children, sometimes your best bet is just to shut the **** up. NOBODY wants to hear your opinion on everything or have to listen to every single thought that runs through your head.