Ridiculous predictions

these aren't mine, I saw them on My Yahoo! Looks like they're from some small town paper in Idaho.

The Front Row with RYAN BRONSON

Sorry I missed ya, Mom, but here's your football picks

Every year, my mom asks me to help her out with her football picks. Sometimes my "help" pays off and sometimes it doesn't (I talked her into taking the 5-11 Tampa Bay Bucs last year).

This year, I've been so busy, I haven't even had time to go visit her. So, Mom, here is the lowdown on your football picks this season.

Let me say, I'm nowhere near ready to pick my team for fantasy football, but if you are going to be in a league that picks teams from different pools depending on last year's success, keep the following in mind (with a grain of salt):

Sure things ...

Green Bay Packers (10-6): Three-time NFL most valuable player Brett Favre got himself into good shape in the offseason -- very good shape. He's focused and looking to cap his career with a special season. Wherever the Packers are in your pool, take 'em.

Detroit Lions (6-10): This might seem like a little bit of a stretch, but does any team have as much potential on offense? With Charles Rogers healthy, Roy Williams being Roy Williams, and newcomer Mike Williams from Southern Cal joining the mix ... WOW! They've also added tight end Marcus Pollard -- who was a nice target for Peyton Manning in Indianapolis -- and veteran receiver Kevin Johnson. Joey Heisman (who, by the way, didn't win the Heisman) is no longer a young QB that can make young mistakes from time to time. If Harrington can't get it done now, with the level of talent the Lions have catching footballs, Jeff Garcia will step in just fine. Tailback Kevin Jones is more than capable, and the secondary is very good. The Lions will make the playoffs.

Low risk picks ...

Oakland Raiders (5-11): The Raiders were terrible last year. The offseason acquisition of Randy Moss will make their offense much better, especially in the running game because Moss demands a double team from opposing defenses. If they don't run the ball, they won't be very good, and if they can't stop the run, they'll be even worse. Coach Norv Turner knows how to use his personnel, so if Moss and quarterback Kerry Collins stay healthy, they'll make the playoffs and will have a good chance to win their division.

Dallas Cowboys (6-10): Yeah, maybe I'm a little biased, but what are the chances of Bill Parcells not making the playoffs two years in a row? The Cowboys' young defense -- which showed so much promise two seasons ago -- is a year older. Drew Bledsoe may be past his prime, but he's been to the Big Dance before, and Julius Jones showed signs last year of becoming an elite running back (see box score from last year's Monday night game against the Seahawks). And don't be surprised if they take one of two games from the Eagles.

High risk picks ...

New England Patriots (14-2): The two-time defending Super Bowl champions will have their work cut out for them this season. They have lost some talent and leadership on defense, and some of their big-time players are on the back side of their career. It has to end sometime, right? The Pats will make the playoffs, but 11 wins is more realistic. The Colts or even the Steelers would be a better pick.

Philadelphia Eagles (13-3): The Eagles seem to be the favorite in the NFC this year, and, as much as I hate to ever admit that a little turmoil could play a factor (see L.A. Lakers, three straight championships), the Cowboys, Giants and Redskins -- teams the Eagles will have to play twice -- could all be much improved this season. And their schedule outside the division is tough.

Don't even think about it, Mom ...

San Diego Chargers (12-4): Drew Brees had a fantastic year last year. It must be nice to have LaDainian Tomlinson. Brees will slow down from last year's pace and the Chargers -- with games at Denver, at New England, at Oakland, at Philadelphia, at N.Y. Jets, at Indianapolis and at Kansas City -- won't make the playoffs.

Buffalo Bills (9-7): Bledsoe and running back Travis Henry are gone, and the defense is older than a rusty gate -- which is about how well they'll stop opponents.

Ryan Bronson is a sports writer for The Press. He can be reached at (208) 664-8176, ext. 2020, or via e-mail at rbronson@cdapress.com.

Front Row

Green Bay, Detroit and Dallas? The only way those teams make the playoffs is if the NFC is worse than it was last year because none of those teams are going to finish with more than 8 wins. Detroit could surprise, but Green Bay has no defense, and Dallas, well dallas has Drew Bledsoe and they play in the same division as the Eagles.

Oakland, last time I checked they had one of the worst defenses in the league, while their offense may put up some record numbers, its going to be hard to win when you can't stop the other team from scoring.

San Diego, while having a tough schedule, is still the best team in their division. You forget that other than playing Pittsburgh and Indy, they have the same teams on their schedule as everyone else in their division. We know about Oakland, Denver has no set RBV and their D is consisting of Cleveland Browns castoffs. The Chiefs could put up some competition, but without a solid wideout and Priest Holmes getting older, not to mention that defense, its going to be hard for them to beat out the Chargers. They won't win 12 games, but they'll make they're division.

Don't even get me started on what you said on Buffalo. They lost Henry and Bledsoe? Call in the coroner their season is dead! Henry played like crap last year, maybe you haven't heard of a running back named Willis McGahee? And your remark about their defense is one of the worst I have ever seen about any aspect of any NFL team. The only starter they lost from last year was Pat Williams, who was 33 and got a ridiculous contract from Minnesota. They have one of the top linebacker units in the league, along with Sam Adams, Nate Clements, Troy Vincent, and Lawyer Milloy. I think the Bills D will be fine. Also, they have the top special teams unit in the league.

If you're going to attack the Bills at least say something about Losman as the starter and the uncertainty at the left tackle position. The Bills may not win the division, but they will finish with at least 10 wins, good enough to make the playoffs in the AFC.

Don't even think about it, Mom ...

Buffalo Bills (9-7): Bledsoe and running back Travis Henry are gone, and the defense is older than a rusty gate -- which is about how well they'll stop opponents.

Does this mean his Mom was helping him write this?

Oh damn the immobile one and Travis Henry are gone how oh how will the bills replace 183 passing yards 1.3 tds per game and 1 int per game, and pouting on the bench from our backup rb. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOOMED I TELL YOU DOOMED!!! Good thing we have our relatively young defense...... oh wait :D

I got an email response from this guy:

To be honest, I probably shouldn't be writing NFL columns, but coming

up with two column a week to write when I'm taking care of two kids and

trying to keep my girlfriend happy can be difficult.

That said, Green Bay, Detroit and Dallas will, yes will, make the

playoffs this year. Oakland has a solid secondary and a two top-notch

defensive tackles to stop the run. You know how I feel about San Diego.

Denver's D will be one of the best in the league, anchored by two guys

— D.J. Williams (remember that name) and Champ Bailey. I'm not ready to

rely on Losman and McGahee, who has a lot of talent but still has to

prove his knee can hold up for 16 games. I did take a closer look at

their defense, and you're right, they could be pretty good. I may have

been a little off base there ... Buffalo was really a team I added at

the last second because the column was a little short.

I really do appreciate the feedback, especially when it's constructive.

Thanks.

P.S. Since when has Denver ever had a problem finding a reliable

tailback?