If every Bills player had this attitude...

30dive

"They made a commitment to me monetarily," he said. "I'm going to give them their money's worth. I'm going to invest my money in being the best I can be, because that's what I owe them." - Coy Wire, Buffalo News 8/10/05

Now I'm not saying we have any TO's on this team but how refreshing it is to read this kind of remark from a player who plays for your favorite team. Many of us have been critical of Wire, and his play, but it is pretty obvious to me that he is giving this team his all.

"They made a commitment to me monetarily," he said. "I'm going to give them their money's worth. I'm going to invest my money in being the best I can be, because that's what I owe them." - Coy Wire, Buffalo News 8/10/05

Now I'm not saying we have any TO's on this team but how refreshing it is to read this kind of remark from a player who plays for your favorite team.  Many of us have been critical of Wire, and his play, but it is pretty obvious to me that he is giving this team his all.

403705[/snapback]

He better give it his all- he's only on the field for 8 plays a game on ST. It is tough watching him get torched in pass coverage. I like the guy, but he's not the answer at safety.

He better give it his all- he's only on the field for 8 plays a game on ST.  It is tough watching him get torched in pass coverage.  I like the guy, but he's not the answer at safety.

403712[/snapback]

You are probably being unfair towards a player with only 3 years experience who was put in non-ideal situations for most of this experience. In his rookie season, Wire was made starting SS immediately after making the conversion from college LB. And in just his second season, the team converted him again from SS to starting FS for a brief time before he became permanently buried behind Lawyer Milloy on the depth chart.

So while I'm not saying Wire has the potential to unseat Milloy or Vincent at safety, it would also be premature to definitively call him unable to play safety in any capacity at the NFL level.

Also keep in mind that you can't have starting-caliber players at every (or any, for that matter) backup position. As a backup SS, Wire is solid with a skill set that's fine for the type of responsibilties unique to the SS position in Gray's D (mostly run coverage).

And finally, it's worth noting that his contract hardly puts a dent in our cap status. Not bad for a backup who is OK at his position and excellent on ST.

He better give it his all- he's only on the field for 8 plays a game on ST.  It is tough watching him get torched in pass coverage.  I like the guy, but he's not the answer at safety.

403712[/snapback]

It worked for most of Mark Pike's career playing those eight plays a game...

There was an article where Evans and Vincent declared Jim Leonhard to be "a football player". The opening blurb seemed sarcastic, so I did not read the article yet.

But I like what Jim Leonhard brings to the team, a true instinct for football.

Coy Wire seems to me to be the other side of that coin. A fine athlete, karate red belt and all that, but not instinctively "a football player". At least he is trying hard to become one.

I was very surprised that they extended Wire's contract one more year. When did that happen?

I hope the Bills can find a spot for Leonhard's skills.

There was an article where Evans and Vincent declared Jim Leonhard to be "a football player".  The opening blurb seemed sarcastic, so I did not read the article yet.

But I like what Jim Leonhard brings to the team, a true instinct for football.

Coy Wire seems to me to be the other side of that coin.  A fine athlete, karate red belt and all that, but not instinctively "a football player".  At least he is trying hard to become one. 

I was very surprised that they extended Wire's contract one more year. When did that happen?

I hope the Bills can find a spot for Leonhard's skills.

404034[/snapback]

For Coy Wire, is it a lack of "instinct for football" or - as I already suggested - is it simply a lack of experience at a new position?

I'll withhold all excitement over any undrafted free agents until I see them matchup against legitimate 1st and 2nd stringers and not some 3rd stringers/camp fodder. There have been a lot of players with great football instincts in college who couldn't ever compete against NFL talent. We've seen this time and again where undrafted players enter camp, beat up on 3rd stringers, make the team as a rookie, and generate excitement only to be no longer in the NFL 2-3 years later. Guys like Pat Williams are VERY rare.

Surely there were enough doubts on Leonhard's natural athletic ability that led to no team even willing to take a chance on him in the 7th round.

Now I'm not saying we have any TO's on this team but how refreshing it is to read this kind of remark from a player who plays for your favorite team.  Many of us have been critical of Wire, and his play, but it is pretty obvious to me that he is giving this team his all.

403705[/snapback]

For a guy like Coy Wire, he needs to bust his ass just to play. A backup SS is going to have a lot different view of his contract than an All-pro WR or CB.

403705[/snapback]

Oh man, what else could he say? :D

He sucks and he knows it. He was apologizing to the team and the fans for not delivering on his pay. What he needs to do is study, study, and study some more!

Oh and stop sucking. :D

I dunno what you guys can ask for... 96 tackles(NFL.com) in his rookie year, is really damn good for someone who did not play the position ever before. Compare that to 94 tackles by milloy that year for the pasties, or 104 the year after as a bill. That tells me that he has excellent run defense skills and aggressiveness. Not too many of our SS's before that were that good in that phase of the game. From that point, i am certain that he has improved his coverage skills that past few years.

Also, his special teams play has been solid. People seem to remember his one penalty for roughin the punter, when one can argue that the call was questionable.

I firmly beleive that he will be a solid starter again when given the chance.

Hey jzmack, I appreciate your perspective. While I may have been disappointed with Wire's past performance, I will say that I always admired his mentality. Sometimes in the long run a player's never give in resolve can outweigh one's athleticism and/or ability. I hope in this case that this proves true.

There are a lot of meaningless stats in sports, the number of tackles a defensive player has, is one of them, IMO!

404510[/snapback]

tackles being a meaningless stat? :blink: That sez that he played a lot towards the line and broke blocks to get in on the play... that can be interepreted as the bills playing a lot of man and 3 deep zones.

tackles being a meaningless stat? ;) That sez that he played a lot towards the line and broke blocks to get in on the play... that can be interepreted as the bills playing a lot of man and 3 deep zones.

404522[/snapback]

Yeah, tackles ranks just below points scored in terms of meaningless statistics. :blink: Wire is a guy that gives it his all, and you have to like that. He isn't making mega bucks by NFL standards and his summer probably cost him a pretty penny. Gotta respect that. Let him be a ST demon if that's his niche. Keep him out of the secondary unless his skills have vastly improved.