What is MOST important for Bill's 05 Playoff Run?

Which Are is Most Important  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which Are is Most Important

• Willis McGahee's health
    • JP heading toward being the next John Elway
    • JP being the next Trent Dilfer
    • The O-Line paving the way for WM/protecting JP
    • The D being the new Baltimore Ravens
    • ST being #1 in the NFL like last year
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is prompted by a question below regarding JP and whether his performance is more important to this team's fate than WM's.

I really am torn on this question and plan to hold off before answering this poll to read the thoughts of others.

I tend to be a run/stop the run kind of fan so from the options above my first thought were about WM being the MOST important thing among a host of important things because while I am very confident in his abilities (the stiff arm last night was massive) I still worry about his knees. The drop-off from WM to Lee/Williams is so huge that it does not even compare to the drop-off (if any) from JP to Holcomb.

Yet, the other half of run/stop the run is the D and maybe our best chance for the playoffs (and dare I say it at this time where we are undefeated an SB win) is to get Simon and add that piece to a unit which impressed last night with 10 of 11 starters back.

Add to this the fact that ST is obviously a pivotal part of the game and not only did it add so much to the Bills putting up a winning record with Pro Bowler McGee, 2 PR TD's, and shouldabeen Pro Bowler Moorman but the failure of ST player Lindell was a definite key to us not making the playoffs last year when he missed a chipshot FG (there were other factors to blame like the D giving up 100+ to a Pitts scrub rusher, Clements giving and taking away with his TD/fumble returns, and Bledsoe failing to step it up and produce in the face of these disasters) and I added the ST choice because that is important and essential also.

Yet the poll question is which is MOST important among a number of things which are essential to happen and an important part of the mix.

I look forward to and thank you for any observations.

I picked "Other". I think the most important factor this season is quarterbacking for sure but it's how effective Holcomb is going to be. Im almost certain that JP is going to stumble(and people will whine and scream and want him released. Im not on of them) and its going to be on Holcomb. If he plays well we have a chance for a playoff spot. Personally I think he will. But im basically an optimist.

Im almost certain that JP is going to stumble(and people will whine and scream and want him released. Im not on of them)

400824[/snapback]

what :)

TSW turn on a struggling QB

never! :D

i fully expect JP to struggle and i doubt the bills will get over 500 with him at QB. he's pretty much a rookie QB, there are growing pains. its kind of like that old Mad TV dating skit, "Lowered Expectations". In a season or 2 JP will be a very good QB and the Bills will contend. But this year, I don't expect JP to walk on the field as the Messiah delivering the Lombardi Trophy to Western New York

Those who do see JP doing that, are the ones who will quickly turn on JP and call for Holcomb and moan about wasting a draft pick on a QB when we already had Bledsoe

400799[/snapback]

most important is to win enough games to get in the playoffs.

doesn't matter how and it doesn't matter if if its pretty.

strong D with turnovers to shorten the field and strong running game to run clock and dictate tempo will be the recipe.

JP needs to be a caretaker who isn't a turnover machine.

I believe all quaterbacks are overrated and not that important. It's more important to have a game manager than a "great quaterback". Some people may call this one in the same, I don't. Daunte Culpepper and Peyton Manning are "great quaterbacks" Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme are "game managers". As long as Losman can keep the mental mistakes (does sterling sharpe have copyright on this?) to a minimum with our defense and st's and mcgahee I see no reason why we can't be a .500 team or better. Anything worse than 7-9 and this season is a complete bombing out.

Because our season hinders so much on our defense, st's and willis I had a hard time deciding what's more important to success for the bills this year. I believe our depth on defense seems to be pretty good so far, and some of these players if called upon could do a good job. Specifically Rashad Baker, Jabari Greer and Josh Stamer. Secondary depth other than ss we seem to be adequate, lb depth adequate. Dline depth questionable.

Our St's is legit. Terrence Mcgee's straight line speed is amazing it seems within 3 steps he turns on the burners and if he get's daylight he's gone. We have a crazy amount of kick returners, solid cover units. The best punter in the game. I don't like the idea of playing offense to protect our kicker from making mistakes and Lindell may be our biggest weakness from a fg kicking prospective. It's always better to take 3 than 0, but until we bring in someone better, it is what it is.

Willis so far looks good. He seems faster, while keeping his strength he displayed last season. That stiff arm on Batman Caroll last night was sweet. He showed a lot of cutback ability, and spin moves I didn't see last year, and looks quicker to the hole. I've said now for the past 3 years our run blocking is subpar. They get no push and if last night is any indication they still don't get any push. Willis created so many of his yards last season on his own, if he goes down I don't see Shaud Williams/Reshard Lee/Lionel Gates having the ability to do this, putting more emphasis on a virtual rookie qb, leading to more mental mistakes, which will amount to more losses. Thus my reasoning for Willis being the most important factor to this seasons success. If Willis goes down we're SOL.

The play of the O-line could make or break JP this year.

If they can be a dominating run blocking team and hold their own pass blocking, then JP can help the team win. If they can't open up running lanes, then teams will pin their ears back and make life for JP and co. a living hell.

O-Line. Hands down. A really strong O-line will allow a lot of options should Willis or JP go down. Defense will be there. Special teams are not likely to be as good as last year...ANYONE would be pressed to duplicate that, but the offense will function well enough not to lose games if the O-line can handle their load. I would also toss in tight end play, which I view as very related.

That was easy. Looking at the results, it's weird to see why all of a sudden we think the line is the priority now that DB is gone. :blink:

I voted for the line like I did last year. If they had played better, I don't think JP would be starting right now. So I guess we're lucky they played below average last year.

My 2 cents:

D and ST are both very strong (although I'm already a little tired of hearing about whether our D is one of the "all-time best" defenses. an "all-time" defense doesn't get waxed, at home, by pittsburgh's backups when a win puts us in the playoffs). If JP is above average, we are in the playoffs. If he's good we should win a playoff game.

For that matter if Bledsoe had been an average QB last year instead of bottom 5, we would have been in the playoffs.

There is no way of knowing how well JP is going to play until the 2nd month of the regular season.