The Movie "Duel"

Saw it when originally was aired on ABC's Movie of the Week and several times since. It was made for TV and never released in the US in theaters, but was in Europe. He was only 25 at the time.

That is the one with the two officers in Napoleon's army, right? Harvey Keital and Keith or David Carrodine. Great movie. I showed it last year for my Philosophy/History movie discussion series at the college I teach at. The student's (mostly males) loved it: females hated it. It seems that men can understand the "honor" thing more than women.

That is the one with the two officers in Napoleon's army, right? Harvey Keital and Keith or David Carrodine.  Great movie.  I showed it last year for my Philosophy/History movie discussion series at the college I teach at.  The student's (mostly males) loved it: females hated it.  It seems that men can understand the "honor" thing more than women.

400627[/snapback]

Uh, no. This stars Dennis Weaver as a guy in his car who passes a truck and the driver of the truck gets pissed and chases him down for the whole movie. They never show the truck driver and when you think that Weaver finally "loses" the truck, the truck shows up and finds him again.

Uh, no.  This stars Dennis Weaver as a guy in his car who passes a truck and the driver of the truck gets pissed and chases him down for the whole movie.  They never show the truck driver and when you think that Weaver finally "loses" the truck, the truck shows up and finds him again.

400630[/snapback]

Best bit of acting IMHO Weaver ever did. I think it was one of the first things he did after leaving Gunsmoke. One of the best made-for-TB movies ever.

By the way, I don't think he "won" the duel. The other dude died (though the truck door was obviously flapping open and shut as it cascaded down the hill... left enough doubt at least for a few seconds that he'd jump up Jason-like and do Weaver in... but I digress.) but Weaver looked badly wounded at the end. It was afterall, a psychological thriller.

This is the work that got Spielberg the job of directing Jaws.

I could be wrong, it has been about 15 yrs since I last saw it on video, but wasn't there blood on the windshield after the truck came to a rest at the bottom of the ravine?

400652[/snapback]

Might have been. Though the only time I saw it was when Wacka mentioned it was first broadcast on ABC.

Maybe it was pickle juice. :D

I own Duel, I think it's a phenomenal.  I'm a huge Steven Spielberg fan, so I'm biased, but I think it's one of the best made for TV movies of all time.

400707[/snapback]

That was a quality made for TV movie. Another above average one is "The Night Stalker" Actually a superior horror flick. Very realistic based in Las Vegas and spawned the "Kolchek:The NIght Stalker" TV series.

That was a quality made for TV movie. Another above average one is "The Night Stalker" Actually a superior horror flick. Very realistic based in Las Vegas and spawned the "Kolchek:The NIght Stalker" TV series.

400821[/snapback]

What is really bad is that amidst the current remake frenzy striking the business world of Hollwood they seem to be entitling a new series set in Vegas featuring a charachter named Kolchack the Night Stalker set for this fall.

I saw an ad for this show and merely rolled my eyes when I saw it because throwing up (a reasonable reaction to recent big budget remakes like War of the Worlds) is simply more effort than they deserve.

My cousin who I had recently reconnected with after a decade of not seeing each other asked me what my top 10 favorite films of all time were as a quick way of reintroducing ourselves. Duel was on my top 10 film list.