Think You're Down ? Try Being There

Mark VI

What can I say?. I've been going to the games since the AFL days at the Rockpile. I don't think there is any question that while this organization has enjoyed various degrees of success, they seem to have more heartbreaking losses than any other team in NFL history. Both teams played bad football for long stretches and still, we had every opportunity to put away the Jags. Came down to 1 play about 4 times...and we failed each time.

The playcalling was absolutely putrid and I correctly guessed most of the plays from the stands. Every time Aiken came in at WR, you were telling the world it was a running play. Certain formations pointed to Moulds as the target. Other screamed of a Henry sweep. Lets hope Mularkey,Clements and Co. learned a hard lesson in defeat.

The D played well most of the game but couldn't make the plays when it counted in the last 2 minutes.

The Tailgate was the highlight and seeing literally 100 + people from this board is always a treat.

An interesting observation from Buffalo Bart, a wise old sage. Maybe the problem is that we're missing that one individual ( or more ) who has the spirit and fire in his belly that the rest of the team feeds off of. We have many good to very good players...but when these type of games arise, we don't have anyone who fires up this team and doesn't accept these type of bad results.

Jim Kelly had his faults but his spirit, leadership and guts were never in question. Drew didn't lose us the game today and this is not a shot at him whatsoever.

But I'm starting to think that Mr. Losman may have what we've been missing all along. The great intangible of fire and swagger that an entire team can get behind.

It's still a team game and multiple players need to contribute to a winning effort.

( Plus good coaching )..But I didn't see the raw emotion that used to be the norm in the late 80's to mid 90's. I do see it in other winning teams, like the Pats.. We've been looking for that swagger ever since.

The difference maker can be a special player. I'm thinking #7 has that look . We must wait to see if this team can find an identity in the meantime. I hope this organization finally has the brains to give Losman his fair shot next year and energize this team.

I keep looking up and down the bench for that one magic spark, which Kelly used to provide. It's not there. Lots of followers...

Losman was drafted with that in mind. In the meantime, our Coaching staff has to realize how to utilize the roster correctly and grasp a sense of urgency. It's only the opener...but the fire is missing..

I think we're all a little tired of settling for average and more than our share of heartbreaks...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time Aiken came in at WR, you were telling the world it was a running play.

27955[/snapback]

Wow, I forgot about Aiken. They did not mention his name once or show him once on the TV side.

How did you like the play where Moulds went in motion and acted like it was going to be a qiuck out to him and they ran the ball instead for a healthy gain. Then they came back with the exact same formation 4-5 plays later, but this time they threw the backwards pass to Moulds and he couldn't catch it, resulting in the fumble. As soon as I saw Moulds go in motion in that pattern, I knew this one was going to him. It was completely obvious. They should have tried it on a completely different series, not the same one.

What can I say?. I've been going to the games since the AFL days at the Rockpile. I don't think there is any question that while this organization has enjoyed various degrees of success, they seem to have more heatbreaking losses than any other team in NFL history. Both teams played bad football for long stretches and still, we had every opportunity to put away the Jags. Came down to 1 play about 4 times...and we failed each time.

The playcalling was absolutely putrid and I correctly guessed most of the plays from the stands. Every time Aiken came in at WR, you were telling the world it was a running play. Certain formations pointed to Moulds as the target. Other screamed of a Henry sweep. Lets hope Mularkey,Clements and Co. learned a hard lesson in defeat.

The D played well most of the game but couldn't make the plays when it counted in the last 2 minutes.

The Tailgate was the highlight and seeing literally 100 + people from this board is always a treat. 

An interesting observation from Buffalo Bart, a wise old sage. Maybe the problem is that we're missing that one individual ( or more )  who has the spirit and fire in his belly that the rest of the team feeds off of. We have many good to very good players...but when these type of games arise, we don't have anyone who fires up this team and doesn't accept these type of bad results.

Jim Kelly had his faults but his spirit, leadership and guts were never in question. Drew didn't lose us the game today and this is not a shot at him whatsoever.

But I'm starting to think that Mr. Losman may have what we've been missing all along. The great intangible of fire and swagger that an entire team can get behind.

It's still a team game and multiple players need to contribute to a winning effort.

( Plus good coaching )..But I didn't see the raw emotion that used to be the norm in the late 80's to mid 90's. I do see it in other winning teams, like the Pats.. We've been looking for that swagger ever since.

The difference maker can be a special player. I'm thinking #7 has that look . We must wait to see if this team can find an identity in the meantime. I hope this organization finally has the brains to give Losman his fair shot next year and energize this team.

I keep looking up and down the bench for that one magic spark, which Kelly used to provide. It's not there. Lots of followers...

Losman was drafted with that in mind. In the meantime, our Coaching staff has to realize how to utilize the roster correctly and grasp a sense of urgency. It's only the opener...but the fire is missing..

I think we're all a little tired of settling for average and more than our share of heartbreaks...

27955[/snapback]

My observation is that this team has no heart. The stars of the team are losers who come up small when it matters. I repeat what I said a month ago, the team is not fun to watch and I would be happy if they could just blow it up and start from scratch because there isn't a player on the team who I would be upset to see leave. Fans get attached to players who come up big when it matters, and guys like Moulds, Spikes, Clements and Henry repeatedly come up small in the clutch. Everyone keeps trying to project victories upon this team based on talent and matchups, etc., but the reality is that they are losers who don't know how to win. What's worse, they are established veteran losers, not young kids. Gonna' be another long year of bewildered fans wondering how a fairly talented team can be so bad.

My observation is that this team has no heart.  The stars of the team are losers who come up small when it matters.  I repeat what I said a month ago, the team is not fun to watch and I would be happy if they could just blow it up and start from scratch because there isn't a player on the team who I would be upset to see leave.  Fans get attached to players who come up big when it matters, and guys like Moulds, Spikes, Clements and Henry repeatedly come up small in the clutch.  Everyone keeps trying to project victories upon this team based on talent and matchups, etc., but the reality is that they are losers who don't know how to win.  What's worse, they are established veteran losers, not young kids.    Gonna' be another long year of bewildered fans wondering how a fairly talented team can be so bad.

28046[/snapback]

Agree 100%, post of the day. :blink:

My observation is that this team has no heart.  The stars of the team are losers who come up small when it matters.  I repeat what I said a month ago, the team is not fun to watch and I would be happy if they could just blow it up and start from scratch because there isn't a player on the team who I would be upset to see leave.  Fans get attached to players who come up big when it matters, and guys like Moulds, Spikes, Clements and Henry repeatedly come up small in the clutch.  Everyone keeps trying to project victories upon this team based on talent and matchups, etc., but the reality is that they are losers who don't know how to win.  What's worse, they are established veteran losers, not young kids.    Gonna' be another long year of bewildered fans wondering how a fairly talented team can be so bad.

28046[/snapback]

Having GW as your coach for 3 years will turn anyone into a heartless loser. Lets hope MM can fix this.

28046[/snapback]

Wow--that slap in the face just made me realize that the truth may hurt....thanks Badol--that was like the old Hi Karate aftershave wake up call.. Or as Murph and Alex would say--the "Hi Karate slap of reality post of the day"...God I hope you are wrong--but my gut says you may be more right than wrong...

What can I say?. I've been going to the games since the AFL days at the Rockpile. I don't think there is any question that while this organization has enjoyed various degrees of success, they seem to have more heatbreaking losses than any other team in NFL history. Both teams played bad football for long stretches and still, we had every opportunity to put away the Jags. Came down to 1 play about 4 times...and we failed each time.

An interesting observation from Buffalo Bart, a wise old sage. Maybe the problem is that we're missing that one individual ( or more )  who has the spirit and fire in his belly that the rest of the team feeds off of. We have many good to very good players...but when these type of games arise, we don't have anyone who fires up this team and doesn't accept these type of bad results.

27955[/snapback]

Fantastic Post...

I've been trying to say the same thing all day talking about the mix of Offense talent vs. philosopy and so on...But I think you hit the nail on the head. It may very well be a matter of will and internal leadership as much as all the other factors...

Jim Kelly on Offense, Darryl Talley on D, they certainly willed their teammates to great things. No doubt that is missing right now. And the Post Game Press Conference today from the Players sounded identicle to so many I heard last year. That tells me the hope may be different, but the Leadership is the same...

And lastly I think it takes serious guts to say what you did about JP. Granted I agree with you 100%, but from what I've read on this board over the past few Months, I can say with confidence we are in the minority. And I'm also not bashing Drew whatsoever. But it is what it is...

agreed...i don't think the nucleus of this current team will ever win the division. it's really true that they're missing something, and i think THE WAY they lost this game...choking up yet another 4th qtr lead...will revive some major doubts still lingering from last season. mularkey sure has his hands full with this crew.

but having said that, i still think that if gray doesn't abandon the blitz on the final drive we would be singing a very different song right now.

Someone please refresh my memory...

When was the last time we won a game in crunch time,

either by the offense scoring at the end of a game

or by the defense holding on for dear life???

The last game I remember was the Minnesota OT game

a couple years ago...

Guest Guest_tcal_*

28046[/snapback]

----Abolutelyright badol...and it starts with Bledsoe--who although he had a decent game is just not a winner.I never liked him in New England---and we need to get rid of him sooooon---before another 2 seasons are down the drain.If he stinks it up again this year--then we go into next year with no experinece at QB for Losman.We have excellent recievers and RBs--and they go to waste cuz DB doesn't do that extra stuff needed to win.Prepare yourselves for 2-3 frustrating/annoying years..lol....7-9...7-9 and 7-9.

Someone please refresh my memory...

When was the last time we won a game in crunch time,

either by the offense scoring at the end of a game

or by the defense holding on for dear life???

The last game I remember was the Minnesota OT game

a couple years ago...

28077[/snapback]

Hey Rico, If I rememeber correctly I think the Bengals game from early last year was really close and we pulled out a victory in the end. But your right the wins are coming too far apart lately.

----Abolutelyright badol...and it starts with Bledsoe--who although he had a decent game is just not a winner.I never liked him in New England---and we need to get rid of him sooooon---before another 2 seasons are down the drain.If he stinks it up again this year--then we go into next year with no experinece at QB for Losman.We have excellent recievers and RBs--and they go to waste cuz DB doesn't do that extra stuff needed to win.Prepare yourselves for 2-3 frustrating/annoying years..lol....7-9...7-9 and 7-9.

28086[/snapback]

7-9? Thats waaaaay too generous with this bunch of guys. More like 5-11 or 4-12

7-9?  Thats waaaaay too generous with this bunch of guys.  More like 5-11 or 4-12

28101[/snapback]

I can tell this game got you going BGIM. You are usually full of optimism, but this game seems to have you ripped. I am in total agreeance with you, don't get me wrong, but when I see the cup is half full guys getting hot, I know we are in trouble. I can't even end this post with a GO BILLS.

28086[/snapback]

i am gonna go out on a limb right now and say that this will be bledsoe's last season in buffalo.

Guest Guest_tcal_*
7-9?  Thats waaaaay too generous with this bunch of guys.  More like 5-11 or 4-12

28101[/snapback]

Malta..you may be right---but 7-9 is MUCH more frustrating than 5-11--and this team--with DB at QB--is just MADE for frustration!!!--I ALMOST hope you are right---cuz 5-11 would get rid of Donahoe and Bledsoe---both of whom have been failures.

Guest eastcoastgal

NE won the SB last year and their record after game 1 was 0-1.

Give the team a chance here. They dominated in all stats (yeah, fumbles included) but on balance looked good.

Relax folks, its only ONE loss. You guys are 0-1 and still alive in the playoff hunt. Yeah you lost on a last minute play but big deal, Look at last year's Week 1 effort. A LOT can change during the course of the season. Jacksonville is not that bad of a team either. It sucks to lose a game, believe me it was hard driving home 500 miles after last year's opening day shellacking to you guys but its not the season.

i am gonna go out on a limb right now and say that this will be bledsoe's last season in buffalo.

28107[/snapback]

Well...I'm not sure it's a long limb, but even though Drew was certainly not the reason the Bills lost today, I think after a certain time (and a certain amount of frustrating losses) change for the sake of change is warranted. And if in fact the Bills falter often early this year, I think you'll see JP get some PT rather quickly when healthy...

Guest Guest_tcal_*
Relax folks, its only ONE loss.  You guys are 0-1 and still alive in the playoff hunt.    Yeah you lost on a last minute play but big deal, Look at last year's Week 1 effort.  A LOT can change during the course of the season.        Jacksonville is not that bad of a team either.    It sucks to lose a game, believe me it was hard driving home 500 miles after last year's opening day shellacking to you guys but its not the season.

28114[/snapback]

THURMAN--I would agree with you---but we have DB at QB....there is no hope with him in there.And the sooner Donahoe admits his mistake and gets rid of him the better off we will be.

Relax folks, its only ONE loss.  You guys are 0-1 and still alive in the playoff hunt.    Yeah you lost on a last minute play but big deal, Look at last year's Week 1 effort.  A LOT can change during the course of the season.        Jacksonville is not that bad of a team either.    It sucks to lose a game, believe me it was hard driving home 500 miles after last year's opening day shellacking to you guys but its not the season.

28114[/snapback]

Jax is not that bad, but we are better IMO. Leftwich couldn't do jack all day long until the last drive. Our O sputtered again in the red zone, what else is new. This game was ours for 59.9 minutes and we still found a way to lose.

It's only one game but what we saw is not promising of a major tunraround anytime soon.