henry's new contract??

By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com: So how long will Henry, who despite signing a four-year contract extension isn't going to earn a dime more in Nashville in '05 than he was scheduled to make in Buffalo

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2113998&type=story

Does that mean thwy are making him play out the last year of his K, and the extension is 4 years after that? Or did he get a signing bonus, but no raise is salary?

Anyone have the numbers on the henry deal, I'm interested in what Tenn thought he was worth on an extension?

Decent discussion here: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=26698&st=0 on that.

Bottom line is that it is effectively a "conditional extension." He plays out the remainder of the current contract (which is the "first year" of this deal), and the Titans will then have to decide whether he's worth the rest of it. Basically it's a contract to keep him out of free agency if he does well that allows them to dump him easily if he doesn't do well.

By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com:  So how long will Henry, who despite signing a four-year contract extension isn't going to earn a dime more in Nashville in '05 than he was scheduled to make in Buffalo

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2113998&type=story

Does that mean thwy are making him play out the last year of his K, and the extension is 4 years after that?  Or did he get a signing bonus, but no raise is salary? 

Anyone have the numbers on the henry deal, I'm interested in what Tenn thought he was worth on an extension?

388755[/snapback]

Good question. I would have thought they would give him a modest increase since his contract is pretty cheap.

He has a roster bonus of 4 million for 2006, which is essentially a signing bonus, unless he tanks, which is possible. The Titans made a great deal from them, and Henry made an iffy one at best. If he plays reasonably well, he gets the 4 mil, plus his salary they negotiated for next year, plus there are a lot of incentives if he gains a lot of yards this year.

posted by sound n fury:

Titans | More about Henry Extension

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:37:36 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports RB Travis Henry's four-year contract extension with the Tennessee Titans will pay him about $9.7 million and includes a $4 million team option in 2006. Henry will play for his $1.25 million salary this year with no additional upfront money. If he performs at his normal 1,300-yard level, Henry can turn the deal into a $3 million or $3.5 million contract.

I cant believe he didnt get ANY more money this year, and that he signed a deal contingent on performance, when they have 2 backs. The titans really won on this deal. They get to try TH out for a year for 1.25 mil, and if they like him they can elect to keep him for 3 more years at about 3-3.5 mil per year. That is certainly cheap for a starting RB, there is no large bonus in there, and it is nothing compared to what Jordan got from Oak. Kudos to Tenn on this deal.

This once again proves he isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer.

He got the contract for what he is worth.

Im not saying he didnt get what he is worth, but this is the most ridiculous extension ever. Two scenarios

1) He plays exceptional this season. Rushes for 1500 yds, 20TDs. Now he has to play for a small salary in comparison to what he would have gotten as a FA.

2) He plays poorly this season. Tennessee decides to stay with Brown. Now TH hits the FA market, and gets no signifigant interest from anyone. He also got no signing bonus. Its as if this extension never happened.

This is a HORRIBLE move by TH. He loses in just about every concievable scenario. He should have gotten some upfront bonus money. Period. Its laughable. this agent needs to not only be fired, but removed from football. Anyone know where I can go to see a list of agents and the clients they represent? Im curious to see what other players have the same agent.

I was curious about Tennessee filing the trade papers with the NFL before finalizing the contract new with Henry. At the time, I thought they crazy to give up a third rounder who could walk if salary negotiations fell apart. Now however I think they had a good read on Henry and parlayed the trade into very good contract terms.

After the trade (but before the extension was finalized), the scenario was this:

If Henry balks at the contract terms, then the Titans don't play (or pay) him much and no one will give him a multi-million dollar bonus after he has soured a relationship with two teams in a row. (This is the stick.)

They showed Henry that unlike those Bills, they are operating in good faith, and are risking their third-rounder because they trust him to sign his contract. Also, they show him that he will get millions of dollars the next year he if he performas like he's said he will. Four million is not a ton by NFL standards, but is a lot of money for someone that is not managing their money well, and whose career could be finished if they balk at the terms.

(This is the carrot.)

Kudos to the Titans. They read him right and got a great deal AND Henry seems happy with the outcome.

Im not saying he didnt get what he is worth, but this is the most ridiculous extension ever.  Two scenarios

1) He plays exceptional this season.  Rushes for 1500 yds, 20TDs.  Now he has to play for a small salary in comparison to what he would have gotten as a FA.

2) He plays poorly this season.  Tennessee decides to stay with Brown.  Now TH hits the FA market, and gets no signifigant interest from anyone.  He also got no signing bonus.  Its as if this extension never happened.

This is a HORRIBLE move by TH.  He loses in just about every concievable scenario.  He should have gotten some upfront bonus money.  Period.  Its laughable.  this agent needs to not only be fired, but removed from football.  Anyone know where I can go to see a list of agents and the clients they represent?  Im curious to see what other players have the same agent.

388766[/snapback]

No, if he plays well he gets about 7.5 million next year, and his salary jumps to 3-3.5 mil per year. And I believe there are other bonuses after next year (from an earlier article that stated the contracted is extremely backloaded).

If he sucks, he is in the same position as he was before the trade. He played this year for his original contract (extension) and it ran out and now he is an UFA. I would bet anyone any amount of money unless he is seriously injured and cannot play, on the open market he would sign a contract with someone next year in FA who would give him a small bonus and a small contract with huge incentive clauses, the same way that the Titans did. It's a win-win. If he sucks for the Titans and then he sucks for the next team, he doesn't make a lot of money and neither team pays a lot of money. And he, of course, wouldn't deserve it. If he plays well for either team he would make what he deserved.

No, if he plays well he gets about 7.5 million next year, and his salary jumps to 3-3.5 mil per year. And I believe there are other bonuses after next year (from an earlier article that stated the contracted is extremely backloaded).

If he sucks, he is in the same position as he was before the trade. He played this year for his original contract (extension) and it ran out and now he is an UFA. I would bet anyone any amount of money unless he is seriously injured and cannot play, on the open market he would sign a contract with someone next year in FA who would give him a small bonus and a small contract with huge incentive clauses, the same way that the Titans did. It's a win-win. If he sucks for the Titans and then he sucks for the next team, he doesn't make a lot of money and neither team pays a lot of money. And he, of course, wouldn't deserve it. If he plays well for either team he would make what he deserved.

You probably dont realize it, but you proved my point. If he plays well, he gets a contract worth much less than Lamont Jordan's (7 mil SB, 5 year 27.5 mil contract vs Henrys 4 year 9.7 mil contract). Yes he has incentive clauses, but i doubt they can make up the extra 15 mil that Lamont Got.

If the titans want to void the contract he gets NOTHING from them. And will only be able to sign a mediocre contract after that, because nobody will be knocking down his door to get him signed.

The point is, perform well, and yes..he gets paid. Probably not as well as he could be paid on the FA market however.

But the real kicker is if he doesnt perform. You said it yourself, he is in the same situation as if buffalo never traded him. In which case he will be in trouble.

This contract did very very little to help henry in the long run. There is no downside protection. All I am saying is that he should have demanded the 4 mil SB upfront NOW. That would have helped protect him. This nonsense of waiting until next season is a horrible thing for him.

KFFL says he took a pay cut this season. I don't know who is dumber-he or his agent. Lamont Jordan played good soldier behind Martin & earned a ton more. If TH had only been bright enough to keep his mouth shut and back up Willis for 1 more season, he'd have been a lot better off.

Titans | Contract Update: T. Henry

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:04:11 -0700

Updating previous reports, RB Travis Henry's four-year contract extension with the Tennessee Titans will pay him the following base salaries: $1 million (2006), $1.25 million (2007), $1.5 million (2008) and $2 million (2009). As noted earlier, the extension reportedly included a $4 million option in 2006, which brings the total value of the extension to $9.75 million. Henry's base salary for 2005 was lowered from $1.25 million to $540,000. It's not clear if Henry received any additional bonus money for 2005.

Here's Jordan's contract #s:

The Raiders finalized a five-year, $27.5 million contract with the free-agent running back.

Jordan's agent, Alvin Keels, said Jordan will receive $11 million in guaranteed money and $17.8 million over the first three years of the contract, including $15.7 million in bonuses.

KFFL says he took a pay cut this season.  I don't know who is dumber-he or his agent.  Lamont Jordan played good soldier behind Martin & earned a ton more.  If TH had only been bright enough to keep his mouth shut and back up Willis for 1 more season, he'd have been a lot better off. 

Titans | Contract Update: T. Henry

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:04:11 -0700

Updating previous reports, RB Travis Henry's four-year contract extension with the Tennessee Titans will pay him the following base salaries: $1 million (2006), $1.25 million (2007), $1.5 million (2008) and $2 million (2009). As noted earlier, the extension reportedly included a $4 million option in 2006, which brings the total value of the extension to $9.75 million. Henry's base salary for 2005 was lowered from $1.25 million to $540,000. It's not clear if Henry received any additional bonus money for 2005.

388981[/snapback]

KFFL copies (KFFL does not say anything, only copies from other sources) a report reporting that he will be making $1 million in 2006. The report says nothing about 2005. His salary is low in 2006 because of the signing bonus.

What would be interesting would be Henry having a great season and him switching agents to Rosen'ass and him threatening to hold out. :doh: