CEO's Earn Their Millions -not really

Your company's CEO might be a pretender, and that may be a good thing, according to Robert Sutton, professor of management science and engineering at Stanford University.

Sutton, the author of a 2001 study of corporate innovation, "Weird Ideas that Work," says that a close look at the evidence shows that CEOs probably deserve less credit for their company's fortunes than they receive and that the best of them manage a tough balancing act: secretly aware of their own fallibility while also realizing that any sign of indecisiveness could be fatal to their careers.

"In just about every study I've ever seen ... the amount of control a leader has over the company is exaggerated," Sutton said during a keynote address at the AO05 Innovation Summit at Stanford yesterday. Although top executives of the largest companies are often considered uniquely powerful, their effectiveness actually dwindles as companies get larger, he said.

"If you look at these Fortune 500 companies where they get paid a fortune, they have the least impact," Sutton said.

The notion of the CEO as a captain, steering the corporate ship, isn't so much a fallacy as it is a "half truth," according to Sutton, who has devoted a chapter to the topic in his upcoming book, Hard Facts, Dangerous Half Truths, and Total Nonsense.

In fact, leaders -- even great ones -- often have no clear idea where they are going, he said. And they make mistakes.

The best executives, like Intel Corp.’s former CEO Andy Grove, will admit that they face a dilemma in needing to appear decisive while at the same time being conscious of their limitations. "You have to pretend," Sutton said. "It's sort of a dilemma, but if you want to accept a leadership job, you've got to accept the hypocrisy of it."

CEOs are faking it, Stanford professor says - The bigger the company, the less impact they often have

Since the 1980's CEO compensation has risen something like 500%...I'm sure glad that in our era of layoffs and outsourcing we can all rest at night knowing the CEO's of the world are hard at work earning their salaries and stock options... :lol:

I know a CEO of a large company whose name many of you would recognize. He was incompetent when I worked with him, he left and didn't last long at his two next companies as a VP. He landed at this company and has been there since because he's a pretty boy cheerleader and is just what they needed to soften their unfriendly image.

I KNOW he's not running that company. How? It's still in business.

I know a CEO of a large company whose name many of you would recognize.  He was  very competent when I worked with him, he left and didn't last long at his two next companies as a VP.  He landed at this company and has been there since because he's a  cheerleader and is just what they needed to help their friendly image.

I KNOW he's  running that company the best way he can. It's still in business.

388570[/snapback]

This is the best post you've ever had, nice job.

I know a CEO of a large company whose name many of you would recognize.  He was incompetent when I worked with him, he left and didn't last long at his two next companies as a VP.  He landed at this company and has been there since because he's a pretty boy cheerleader and is just what they needed to soften their unfriendly image.

I KNOW he's not running that company.  How?  It's still in business.

388570[/snapback]

Well DUH, Deb. Is this some big fugging insight?

He landed at this company and has been there since because he's a pretty boy cheerleader and is just what they needed to soften their unfriendly image.

Well, Id say that if he's "just what they needed" and his hire accomplished his employer's goals than he's doing his job properly and therefore, earning his pay, right?

You been hanging out with CTM too much, you're getting that Cliff Claven Complex. :unsure:

388768[/snapback]

Nah. Just bored. You're an easy target of opportunity. Have to keep my hand in, at least a little bit.

How's Dad doing? When does he get out of London?

Yes! A post with anecdotal evidence citing unnamed sources working for unnamed companies. Excellent. Email Matt Drudge immediately. Deb is his kind of source.

388817[/snapback]

You have know idea how wrong you are. Are you new? Try the four Iron, cause your short yardage wedge sucks. Next......... :unsure:

You have know idea how wrong you are. Are you new?  Try the four Iron, cause your short yardage wedge sucks. Next......... :doh:

388877[/snapback]

Sorry. Her anecdotal evidence not citing a source for an unnamed article is the kind of thing you rely on?

Please skip Drudge.

Go directly to Blogs for news.

Nah. Just bored. You're an easy target of opportunity. Have to keep my hand in, at least a little bit.

How's Dad doing? When does he get out of London?

388781[/snapback]

Got home Friday night. Says security is just as easy-going as the last two times he was there.

Jay Rosen could probably tell all y'all who I'm talking about. He won't know the guy but his wife will. And my point was since all they needed was a pretty boy, not a business whiz, they could have sourced someone else who looked good for a lot less money. It's not like any particular skill is needed.

Got home Friday night.  Says security is just as easy-going as the last two times he was there.

Jay Rosen could probably tell all y'all who I'm talking about.  He won't know the guy but his wife will.  And my point was since all they needed was a pretty boy, not a business whiz, they could have sourced someone else who looked good for a lot less money.  It's not like any particular skill is needed.

389015[/snapback]

oooooo...name dropper......

oooooo...name dropper......

389046[/snapback]

:doh: Jay and I used to work at the same company. Somewhere I have a photo of me, Jay, another former co-worker and a couple of Brits visiting from the UK when we all went to Fredonia many moons ago...

You been hanging out with CTM too much, you're getting that Cliff Claven Complex. :)

388768[/snapback]

F'you. :doh:

Every company I've ever worked for has only gotten in trouble when the CEO has decided he should exercise his authority. Who I currently work for is doing very well...and the CEO usually gets 18 holes in every day. I do not think that's a coincidence.

F'you.  :doh:

Every company I've ever worked for has only gotten in trouble when the CEO has decided he should exercise his authority.  Who I currently work for is doing very well...and the CEO usually gets 18 holes in every day.  I do not think that's a coincidence.

389138[/snapback]

Agreed.

The small agency I used to work for had a CEO who carried a similar schedule, only occasionally weilding power and the place did pretty well. The agency I work for now has an absentee owner, no CEO, and predictably, has its top tier power structure in chaos.

Can't you wash them in the big ditch in front of your office?

390708[/snapback]

Hell NO!

If anything it probably is the safest here since the water is moving here and the river is kept airated at here. I am still amazed at the jetskiers, and people who attempt to swim in it! :)

It has come along way since the mills are down... It a least freezes now! The sediment has got to be hot?

And Eryn... They did away with the well water long before I came here... Nothing but Chicago's finest! Also, the liquid cooled transformers with leaking PCB's have been done away with long before me... Thank God! I heard the old lockmaster would make the guys mop up the crap... I can't fault him, he was from Kentucky!

;)

Hell NO!

If anything it probably is the safest here since the water is moving here and the river is kept airated at here.  I am still amazed at the jetskiers, and people who attempt to swim in it! :)

It has come along way since the mills are down... It a least freezes now!  The sediment has got to be hot?

And Eryn... They did away with the well water long before I came here... Nothing but Chicago's finest!  Also, the liquid cooled transformers with leaking PCB's have been done away with long before me... Thank God!  I heard the old lockmaster would make the guys mop up the crap... I can't fault him, he was from Kentucky!

;)

390894[/snapback]

Once upon a time I did a lot of old dielectric cleanups. Those old transformers were nasty.

Once upon a time I did a lot of old dielectric cleanups. Those old transformers were nasty.

390905[/snapback]

All joking aside, so totally true. The electrican that works here now is in his late 40's and has been here 10 years... His first 20 were working out of the hall and with other electrical contractors... He said his hands would be elbow deep in some of the crap... They just diagnosed him with Parkinson's... Not sure if it is related?

The old lockmaster was a real SOB... It wasn't until one of the younger "kids" got here and started questioning the well water in the early '80's... I also heard the asbestos abatement here was a joke during that time... NASA isn't the only dysfunctional agency.

The sad part is people just didn't question things years ago... They didn't know... And boy does big government hate to be questioned!

I am sure glad I missed most of that era????

:);)