OT help with statistics

hey guys there are a lot of people on this forum so i was hoping someone that was good with statistics could help me with my assignment because im stuck not sure what to do

so if anyone knows how to answer this please reply

a legislator interested in measuring the variability in family incomes between communities. Equal-size samples of n=25 families that were taken from each one of two adjeacent communities showed that community "A" had a standard deviation of s=$2000 and comunity "B" had a standard deviation of s=$2400.  Could you determine at a 5% level of significance whether family incomes in community "B" are less homogeneous than those in community "A"

376715[/snapback]

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!!!

Sorry...that was obligatory. :doh: I don't have time now, but I'll take a look at it later for you.

I'm too cool for school baby.  What kind of disaster looks for help from a bunch of stooges like myself and others found on this board?

Also, I have an assignment...A little summer project to score as much tail as possible...Meazza do you have a sister?

376786[/snapback]

She has an odd name...Ignore.

hey guys there are a lot of people on this forum so i was hoping someone that was good with statistics could help me with my assignment because im stuck not sure what to do

a legislator interested in measuring the variability in family incomes between communities. Equal-size samples of n=25 families that were taken from each one of two adjeacent communities showed that community "A" had a standard deviation of s=$2000 and comunity "B" had a standard deviation of s=$2400.  Could you determine at a 5% level of significance whether family incomes in community "B" are less homogeneous than those in community "A"

376715[/snapback]

I think you need to also know the mean for each population, not just the size and standard deviation. If group A has a mean of, say, $500,000 and B has a mean of $50,000 it's safe say their not pulled from the same population. I'd give you a link, but I'm sure it's no better than your textbook.

Reading it again, standard deviation is a measure of variance (or homogeny). I think it's a trick question and population B is less homogenous than A by definition ($2400 versus $2000). 5% just makes it sound like a z-test....

I hope my memory is right and this helps. Read your text book and tell me if I'm right! :doh:

I think you need to also know the mean for each population, not just the size and standard deviation.  If group A has a mean of, say, $500,000 and B has a mean of $50,000 it's safe say their not pulled from the same population.  I'd give you a link, but I'm sure it's no better than your textbook. 

Reading it again, standard deviation is a measure of variance (or homogeny).  I think it's a trick question and population B is less homogenous than A by definition ($2400 versus $2000).  5% just makes it sound like a z-test....

I hope my memory is right and this helps.  Read your text book and tell me if I'm right!  :doh:

376798[/snapback]

ya i was thinking the same thing

thats y im stuck

i think its more a t-test than a z-test

but ya i believe the mean would have to be there

this pisses me off because this class is about regression analysis and here we're doign hypothesis testing, stuff i did in college

376715[/snapback]

Since I do this for a living, I will be happy to help you. Homogenity refers to are the variances of the two populations equal. First, square both standard deviations. The using the F-Test, take the ratio of the two variances. The ratio is 1.44. The F-critical value is 1.98. So at alpha equal 0.05, the two communities are similar, or Community B is not less homogenous. PM if you need more explanation.

You might have received better responses if you had clarified at which point you were stuck. As it is, you're original post sounds like "answer this for me," which was probably not your original intent. If you had posted the question, then stated what you understood and where you got stuck, and asked for help with where you got stuck, it might have gone a little smoother for ya...

Just a thought...

its funny how you cant ask a question without getting a smart ass answer

u dont wanna help just dont reply stupid sons of bitches

I'm sorry & didn't mean anything personal. I was basically taking the opportunity to say something funny. (To some extent, at your expense).

As the question was worded, I gave a correct response (I couldn't answer the question w/o looking it up in a stats book); just not the response you were looking for.

Ergo, the 2nd Cliff Claven reference.

Be that as it may Alex, those three people have never been in my kitchen.

I'm sorry & didn't mean anything personal.  I was basically taking the opportunity to say something funny. (To some extent, at your expense).

As the question was worded, I gave a correct response (I couldn't answer the question w/o looking it up in a stats book); just not the response you were looking for.

Ergo, the 2nd Cliff Claven reference.

376886[/snapback]

actually

that quote brought back good memories

that was one of the funniest jeopardy responses ive ever heard