Is anyone else worried about our D

We've got some quick linebackers and obviously one of the best secondary in the league, but with Williams gone, I'm worried about our defence against the run. I say we're one Sam Adams injury away from a disaster against the run. I don't have time to look up the exact stats but I believe that was the worst part of our defence last year and now we've lost a key guy that will probably show a bigger impact then everyone thinks. Hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really worried at all. 10 out of 11 return. Pat only took half of the snaps last year anyway. We have capable replacements in Ron Edwards and (hopefully) Tim Anderson.

All good.

374362[/snapback]

I hope ur right, but he only took half the snaps because his only job was to stop the run. If the team is passing then there was not much point in putting him out there. I hope ur right about Edwards and/or Anderson!!

We've got some quick linebackers and obviously one of the best secondary in the league, but with Williams gone, I'm worried about our defence against the run.  I say we're one Sam Adams injury away from a disaster against the run.  I don't have time to look up the exact stats but I believe that was the worst part of our defence last year and now we've lost a key guy that will probably show a bigger impact then everyone thinks.  Hope I'm wrong.

374359[/snapback]

I'm too worried about the O-Line right now to worry about the D-Line.

OOhhhh!!!

:huh:

There will be a slight drop-off, but nothing too serious in my opinion. Pat Williams was a great run-stuffer but Ron Edwards flashed some great skills last year when he was plugged into the lineup. Plus, we didnt draft Anderson on Day One last year just to have him ride the pine his entire career.

The D-Line doesnt worry me at all, we've got some good depth at DT. Will they be as good as Pat Williams this year? Probably not...but they'll be good enough to keep our Defense rollin' along.

If we could just get that craptacular LT spot fixed now...

There will be a slight drop-off, but nothing too serious in my opinion.  Pat Williams was a great run-stuffer but Ron Edwards flashed some great skills last year when he was plugged into the lineup.  Plus, we didnt draft Anderson on Day One last year just to have him ride the pine his entire career. 

The D-Line doesnt worry me at all, we've got some good depth at DT.  Will they be as good as Pat Williams this year?  Probably not...but they'll be good enough to keep our Defense rollin' along.

If we could just get that craptacular LT spot fixed now...

374376[/snapback]

Pretty exactly.

The good news for us regarding this is that though the Edwards improvement in his game last year was as a pass rusher rather than the PW forte of run defense, it is great for us that Edwards did this while actually putting on about 20 pounds.

Increasing his strength and weight are things he needs and needed to do to fill in for Phat Par and to have done this while retaining (and actually improving) his sack ability is a great sign.

Anderson is an unknown, but we need a plan B if Edwards goes down or does not work out and Anderson is a great plan B.

He actually might be a plan C because part of Phat Pat losing snaps at DT last year actually appeared to occur because none other than DE Denney was stalwart enough against the run that on some third downs the Bills actually went with all three DEs (Kelsay, Schobel and Denney) on the field at the same time (this mix was part of Sam Adams throwing a fit for being benched when it was Edwards in the line-up instead of him with a good dose of DEs) and this rotation is actually something we use with the zone-blitz to confuse the offense a lot.

The loss of PW is regrettable because he is a good player but appears to be something we are well situated to deal with.

We've got some quick linebackers and obviously one of the best secondary in the league, but with Williams gone, I'm worried about our defence against the run.  I say we're one Sam Adams injury away from a disaster against the run.  I don't have time to look up the exact stats but I believe that was the worst part of our defence last year and now we've lost a key guy that will probably show a bigger impact then everyone thinks.  Hope I'm wrong.

374359[/snapback]

no

fat, slow and old is not a long term recipe for success

There are many whose opinions that I respect on this board that are worried about losing PW. I am not, not even a little. In fact, I am glad to see him gone.

I would much prefer a more agile DT, and I hope that both Edwards and Anderson will offer us this.

Pat Williams was tipping the scales at approx. 375 last year imo. I am thinking that ankles on a man his age and his size do not last so long. Admittedly, I thought that TW was all but done for similar reasons when the Bills released him, and I was flat out wrong; but make no mistake; PW was a far cry from Big Ted.

I would rather the Bills give it a go with 2 young players, one of whom entering his prime than over pay an overweight, fading football player.

Jmo.

Also remember that milloy wasn't in there for more than 1/4th the season, that could have led to a few more close wins in my opinion. I think we have a top five defense and should remain inside the top three, barring any injuries.

07/03/05 - In a commentary, Larry Felser of the Buffalo News made this prediction: "One of the biggest improvements for the Bills this season may come with some of their young players having breakthrough years. My hunch for one of the major breakthroughs is Chris Kelsay, who finally won the starting job at left defensive end over the last nine games after sharing with Ryan Denney. Kelsay figured out what he was doing during the Bills' winning streak. He should be better this year."

374359[/snapback]

NO

We've got some quick linebackers and obviously one of the best secondary in the league, but with Williams gone, I'm worried about our defence against the run.  I say we're one Sam Adams injury away from a disaster against the run.  I don't have time to look up the exact stats but I believe that was the worst part of our defence last year...

The Bills were tied for 2nd (with 3 other teams) for lowest yards per rush given up by a defense last year, at 3.6 YPR. Washington was best at 3.1. Do you know who THEIR DT's were?

Edwards needs to put on about 15lbs of fat/muscle, and we have an equal to phat pat... I don't know if you have noticed but edwards has bulked up every year. I wouldn't be surprised if edwards was surprisingly good.

Edwards needs to put on about 15lbs of fat/muscle, and we have an equal to phat pat... I don't know if you have noticed but edwards has bulked up every year.  I wouldn't be surprised if edwards was surprisingly good.

374611[/snapback]

No and yes.

Edwards will be good. But if he stays leaner he can continue to be a great pass rusher...