Laser eye surgery

I had my mine done by Fichte Eye Associates in Amherst (where many of the Bills players have gone, BTW) a couple of years ago and remain very happy with the results.

372337[/snapback]

I'll second that recommendation. While i haven't had the surgery (my eyes are still good, knock on wood), Dr. Fichte is probably one of the most experienced eye surgeons you can find. He has done a great job on a number of family and friends.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for SDS's reply. Scooter? :D  :doh:

372370[/snapback]

:(

so, you remember my tirade?

For those whose eyes need mild correction - if you choose to have this procedure done than your mama raised a fool. The benefits of being w/o glasses prescribed for a moderate prescription can not possibly out weigh the real possibility you could become suicidal after !@#$ing up your eyes for the rest of your life.

You see - they tell you about the success stories, but they really don't go into detail about the failures. What happens when they fail? I'm not taking about needing a "touch-up" because they didn't ablate enough tissue. I'm taking about what happens if they don't center the laser properly when burn the tissue off your eye. I'm taking about when your eye flickers and you have two decentered ablations. What do they do?

They say "oops!" and say "you're !@#$ed". "Now get out of my office - there is NOTHING I can do."

And that is the problem with lasik. There IS NO PLAN B. There is only plan A.

Is ruining your vision for the rest of your life worth it? What about constant migraine headaches because you don't see right anymore? Are you willing to deal with pain in your every day for the rest of your life? Are you ready to be a pill popper?

Now, for those who are nearly blind or whose prescriptions are soooo bad that they are nearly blind - I can see the benefit outweighing the risk. Afterall, your vision sucks so bad you can barely see anything anyway and thick, heavy glasses are problematic. But for those who want it done for vanity - I just don't see it.

My 2 cents.

I had mine done by Dr Robbins in Roch about 2 years ago. If I had to do it over again, I would pay double. I had horrible eyes, now they are 20/15. Its well worth it, and I would go to someone near you. Check ups, visits and so on. I am very happy with the $2500 I spent. No regrets what so ever. (I also rec. a good pair of sunglasses, polarized)

:(

so, you remember my tirade?

For those whose eyes need mild correction - if you choose to have this procedure done than your mama raised a fool.  The benefits of being w/o glasses prescribed for a moderate prescription can not possibly out weigh the real possibility you could become suicidal after !@#$ing up your eyes for the rest of your life.

You see - they tell you about the success stories, but they really don't go into detail about the failures.  What happens when they fail?  I'm not taking about needing a "touch-up" because they didn't ablate enough tissue.  I'm taking about what happens if they don't center the laser properly when burn the tissue off your eye.  I'm taking about when your eye flickers and you have two decentered ablations.  What do they do?

They say "oops!" and say "you're !@#$ed".  "Now get out of my office - there is NOTHING I can do."

And that is the problem with lasik.  There IS NO PLAN B.  There is only plan A.

Is ruining your vision for the rest of your life worth it?  What about constant migraine headaches because you don't see right anymore?  Are you willing to deal with pain in your every day for the rest of your life?  Are you ready to be a pill popper?

Now, for those who are nearly blind or whose prescriptions are soooo bad that they are nearly blind - I can see the benefit outweighing the risk.  Afterall, your vision sucks so bad you can barely see anything anyway and thick, heavy glasses are problematic.  But for those who want it done for vanity - I just don't see it.

My 2 cents.

372377[/snapback]

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. When/where did you have the procedure done?

I had mine done by Dr Robbins in Roch about 2 years ago.  If I had to do it over again, I would pay double.  I had horrible eyes, now they are 20/15.  Its well worth it, and I would go to someone near you.  Check ups, visits and so on.  I am very happy with the $2500 I spent.  No regrets what so ever.  (I also rec. a good pair of sunglasses, polarized)

372378[/snapback]

Just using your post as an example...

How can you tell someone you have never met that shooting a laser in their is well worth it? What if he had 20/40 vision and only needed glasses at the movies? It would be a hard argument to make that lasik is worth performing on a pretty healthy eye in that case.

It may have been worth it for you if your eyes were truly that bad, but the worse part about lasik is the casual "yeah, go do it - no worries mate" attitude that surrounds the entire industry.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  When/where did you have the procedure done?

372384[/snapback]

I didn't have it done. But I did research the cases that fail and what happens to these people. No one talks about them. No one hears their stories. Only a short list of watered down problems is presented....

Reading the accounts of some of these people at least bring into reality what could possibily happen. Only then does the patient understand the risk. Hearing "may cause dry eyes" doesn't quite compare to "I think about killing myself every day since my surgery...."

Like with any medical procedure, there are no guarantees, there are risks, and there are bad outcomes. That's why choosing a good surgeon is THE most important thing (and it would help if detox told everyone where he lived). I speak for myself when I say it's worth it, even though I have to have an "enhancement" done since my astigmatism was so bad (that the nearsightedness wasn't fully corrected the first time). And it sounds like a lot of people on the board have had it done without any problems, so at least in this small sampling, it's success rate is pretty high. If there are any people who have had it (recently) and had a bad outcome, do tell.

Like with any medical procedure, there are no guarantees, there are risks, and there are bad outcomes.  That's why choosing a good surgeon is THE most important thing (and it would help if detox told everyone where he lived).  I speak for myself when I say it's worth it, even though I have to have an "enhancement" done since my astigmatism was so bad (that the nearsightedness wasn't fully corrected the first time).  And it sounds like a lot of people on the board have had it done without any problems, so at least in this small sampling, it's success rate is pretty high.  If there are any people who have had it (recently) and had a bad outcome, do tell.

372394[/snapback]

You can focus on the success rate all day long. It appears to be very high - no argument there. But since it is not 100%, then to be truly informed you need get more than a paragraph of bad outcomes from an avalanche of positive propaganda.

http://www.lasikmemorial.com/Home.htm

Death and Dying

Anonymous Author

For the First Time

Ready to Leave

Broken

By This Blow.

This Low Blow

At the Time

When

Possibility Lay Ripe.

The Butchering

Quick and Bloodless

Consequences

Hidden From Sight.

The Damage Deep

The Butcher Blissfully

Unaware

Of His Results.

Yet Through it All

The Organism

Continues

Its Struggle.

The Mind Forced

To Outwit the Body

Utilizing

All Its Trickery.

Dying Can Not

Be Followed By

Death

No Sir.

Another Chance Awaits

With Glorious

Vision

Restored and Whole.

A Life Un-enslaved

By Blurriness and Pain

Constricting

The Soul’s Flowering."

An alternative that's available now are inter-ocular implants (aka Phakic IOLs). It's basically a surgically implanted contact lens. While the procedure is rather new (last 15 years in Europe, approved last Fall in the US), it's actually just a variation (and the same type of lens) used in cataract surgery. The difference is that the fake lens is inserted under your own lens. There are complications with this as well, that appear to be mostly correctable. The main thing about this over LASIK is that if it doesn't work, it's undoable (remove the lenses). Costs considerably more though...

Previous question (from Darin): http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=12428

An alternative that's available now are inter-ocular implants (aka Phakic IOLs).  It's basically a surgically implanted contact lens.  While the procedure is rather new (last 15 years in Europe, approved last Fall in the US), it's actually just a variation (and the same type of lens) used in cataract surgery.  The difference is that the fake lens is inserted under your own lens.  There are complications with this as well, that appear to be mostly correctable.  The main thing about this over LASIK is that if it doesn't work, it's undoable (remove the lenses).  Costs considerably more though...

Previous question (from Darin): http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=12428

372408[/snapback]

It's actually a very good option. It's what they do for keracontonus (sp??) as well. I did a little research on this recently. :(

You can focus on the success rate all day long.  It appears to be very high - no argument there.  But since it is not 100%, then to be truly informed you need get more than a paragraph of bad outcomes from an avalanche of positive propaganda.

http://www.lasikmemorial.com/Home.htm

Death and Dying

Anonymous Author

For the First Time

Ready to Leave

Broken

By This Blow.

This Low Blow

At the Time

When

Possibility Lay Ripe.

The Butchering

Quick and Bloodless

Consequences

Hidden From Sight.

The Damage Deep

The Butcher Blissfully

Unaware

Of His Results.

Yet Through it All

The Organism

Continues

Its Struggle.

The Mind Forced

To Outwit the Body

Utilizing

All Its Trickery.

Dying Can Not

Be Followed By

Death

No Sir.

Another Chance Awaits

With Glorious

Vision

Restored and Whole.

A Life Un-enslaved

By Blurriness and Pain

Constricting

The Soul’s Flowering."

372407[/snapback]

You almost sound like an ocular scientologist, Mr. Cruise, I mean SDS.

Just kidding. Sort of.

(and it would help if detox told everyone where he lived). 

I have a driver license for NY, NC, SC and Ga. But right now I live and go to school in Western, NY. :(

I'm not getting the surgery for cosmetic enhancement. There are other reasons why I have chosen to pursue the surgery. I'm well aware of the horror stories, but have decided to take the risk.

I value everyone's input in this thread. Thank you.

You almost sound like an ocular scientologist, Mr. Cruise, I mean SDS.

Just kidding.  Sort of.

372411[/snapback]

I don't mind being a bit in your face about it. So many people talk about it like it was a hang nail removal that it's hard to balance out the propaganda with just one voice.

Here is another website where people talk every day about their experiences:

http://surgicaleyes.infopop.cc/eve

I don't mind being a bit in your face about it.  So many people talk about it like it was a hang nail removal that it's hard to balance out the propaganda with just one voice.

Here is another website where people talk every day about their experiences:

http://surgicaleyes.infopop.cc/eve

372427[/snapback]

I respect your opinion, but for every Internet website you can list on the "Con" side, I can match you with a "Pro." For example:

Harvard Medical School

Many of the horror stories on the net are for procedures done in the 1990s, when the technology was still developing. The rate of complications, which used to be about 5% has dropped to around 2% according to some of the studies I looked at prior to having my eyes done.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. I don't think anyone should take advice from MB posters. Talk to friends, family, people you trust.

My wife was watching some s#it on the TV the other day were Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie decided to go get laser corrective eye surgery. Quite why is beyond me as neither wears glasses as far as i can tell.

They filmed Ms Hiltons procedure.

Let me tell you. They give you a couple of numbing eye drops, crank your eyes wide open to the point where they are almost splitting at the sides, then then take a scalpel and slice a portion of your eye and fold it back.

That's right - they take a knife to your eye and cut it. Then comes all the s#it with the laser and when they are done then simply flap this loose piece of eye back into place.

No I don't know about anyone else - but if I even get a tiny speck of dust in my eyes I am a whinging flapping mess until it is out - and for ages afterwards my eye is red and sore. Compare that pain and irritation to some quack CUTTING YOUR EYE AND LEAVING THE FLAP LOOSE.

Seems to me that eyes have a reaction that says they don't like to be messed with.

However if you do it, come down this way. 

Dr. Mark Whitten, Rockville, Md.

He is the guy who did Tiger Woods surgery.  I think if a guy making 50 million per year trusts him, he might do an okay job for you.  Probably worth the 20 in gas, and 10 in hotel fees for a night. 

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._53/ai_86204880

372299[/snapback]

These are the boys who did my Lasik almost 4 yrs ago. Felt good that my doctor was named Perrault, but he was oart of the Whtiiten group. Best $3500 i EVER spent

My wife was watching some s#it on the TV the other day were Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie decided to go get laser corrective eye surgery. Quite why is beyond me as neither wears glasses as far as i can tell.

They filmed Ms Hiltons procedure.

Let me tell you. They give you a couple of numbing eye drops, crank your eyes wide open to the point where they are almost splitting at the sides, then then take a scalpel and slice a portion of your eye and fold it back.

That's right - they take a knife to your eye and cut it. Then comes all the s#it with the laser and when they are done then simply flap this loose piece of eye back into place.

No I don't know about anyone else - but if I even get a tiny speck of dust in my eyes I am a whinging flapping mess until it is out - and for ages afterwards my eye is red and sore. Compare that pain and irritation to some quack CUTTING YOUR EYE AND LEAVING THE FLAP LOOSE.

Seems to me that eyes have a reaction that says they don't like to be messed with.

372506[/snapback]

Nick, never felt a thing outside of a little tickle sensation when the scalpel when across your eye. Only thing that hurt was coming out into a bright sunny mid morning sun. Eyes just could not stop tearing. However, went home , got a three hour nap, and went out trick or treating with my daughter that night.

One suggestion, they offered me a valium before the procedure, which I turned down. Looking back, i would have taken it so i could take it after the procedure and fall asleep easier .

Tell you what, and I'm serios, absolutely no discomfort whatsoever