Who's seen War of the Worlds?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of the movie was when JP Losman emerges from the spaceship and quarterbacks the Bills to a winning Superbowl and saves the planet.

376092[/snapback]

sweet

just got back from my honeymoon and saw this flick

plot holes aside, my major gripe with this film is dakota fanning...her schtick is getting old and annoying...she's the same in each movie

what ever happened to that sixth sense kid anyway

Setting the film in the US is apt for the US is the only superpower in the world today just as Britain was the only superpower in the world at the time that Wells wrote the novel. In both the novel and the movie, resistance to the invaders was largely futile despite the size and sophistication of the available arsenal.

Saw it yesterday afternoon with the wife at a matinee. Worth the $12 we spent, for the SFX alone. I liked it as an update to the original story, but was hoping that they would have redone the story instead, because with our understanding of things now, Wells' story while visionary at the time, doesn't hold-up.

plot holes aside, my major gripe with this film is dakota fanning...her schtick is getting old and annoying...she's the same in each movie

what ever happened to that sixth sense kid anyway

380605[/snapback]

I kinda liked her, and I think she's a pretty good actress, especially considering her age. Did you see "Uptown Girls?" She wasn't the same in that one.

CW

Worst movie I've seen this year (shoot that script writter :) ). I wanted to leave about half way through but the wife wanted to stay and see what all the fuss was about.

Steven Spielberg's running on fumes, IMO. Here's his flicks over the past 20 years:

War of the Worlds (2005)

The Terminal (2004)

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Minority Report (2002)

Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)

The Unfinished Journey (1999)

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Amistad (1997)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Schindler's List (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Hook (1991)

Always (1989)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Empire of the Sun (1987)

The Color Purple (1985)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Worst movie I've seen this year (shoot that script writter  :) ).  I wanted to leave about half way through but the wife wanted to stay and see what all the fuss was about.

Steven Spielberg's running on fumes, IMO.  Here's his flicks over the past 20 years:

War of the Worlds (2005) 

The Terminal (2004) 

Minority Report (2002)   

Amistad (1997) 

Schindler's List (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993) 

Hook (1991) 

Always (1989)

Empire of the Sun (1987) 

The Color Purple (1985) 

380770[/snapback]

Catch Me If You Can is pretty underrated, I thought it was a great flick. Still, I agree with you that Spielberg is running on fumes and reputation. Artificial Intelligence: AI was so mind-numbingly dull that I think it should be shown to the inmates at Gitmo to get them to talk.

Worst movie I've seen this year (shoot that script writter  :) ).  I wanted to leave about half way through but the wife wanted to stay and see what all the fuss was about.

Steven Spielberg's running on fumes, IMO.  Here's his flicks over the past 20 years:

War of the Worlds (2005) 

The Terminal (2004) 

Minority Report (2002)   

Amistad (1997) 

Schindler's List (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993) 

Hook (1991) 

Always (1989)

Empire of the Sun (1987) 

The Color Purple (1985) 

380770[/snapback]

I don't blame Speilberg for having to put out some slapdash.

Years ago the moguls of the movie industry were capricious tyrants, but they by gosh gave a flying f*ck about their movies. The current movers and shakers are a bunch of faceless corporate sh*ts who couldn't care less and make endless least-common-denominator flicks so they can cash in.

That the movie-going public eats up that pile of keck is another issue...

Had a chance to see it last night for free...and passed.

Went to the mall get some shopping done and beat the heat. My fiancee brought 2 free passes that she had been given. At the time we showed up, we could choose between War of the Worlds, Madagascar, and Fantastic 4.

We took our passes and went home. I'm just not that interested in Hollywood blockbusters anymore. Wouldn't mind seeing Batman Begins tho.

You forgot Poltergeist. He pretty much directed it.

War of the Worlds (2005) 

The Terminal (2004) 

Minority Report (2002)   

Amistad (1997) 

Schindler's List (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993) 

Hook (1991) 

Always (1989)

Empire of the Sun (1987) 

The Color Purple (1985) 

380770[/snapback]

War of the Worlds (2005) 

The Terminal (2004) 

Minority Report (2002)   

Amistad (1997) 

Schindler's List (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993) 

Hook (1991) 

Always (1989)

Empire of the Sun (1987) 

The Color Purple (1985) 

380770[/snapback]

I thought all of those where pretty good movies.

I thought all of those where pretty good movies.

380902[/snapback]

Me too. I'm a die-hard Spielberg fan though, so I thought I was biased.

The only ones I didn't really care for were Temple of Doom, Hook, Always, and Artificial Intelligence: AI.

BTW, The Unfinished Journey was not really a movie, it was a 20 minute short produced for the millennium New Year's Eve celebration.

I've heard good things. I wanted to go tonight, but missed the showing I wanted. I'll go Friday. I still need to see Batman and Land of the Dead

371616[/snapback]

Without reading 8 pages I'll add my two cents. I loved Land of the Dead and thought War of the Worlds was lame. Good special effects but overall I thought it was pretty boring. Just my opinion though. Oh, and the way that the aliens were defeated?....hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

You forgot Poltergeist.  He pretty much directed it.

380884[/snapback]

He didn't direct Poltergeist. Like Goonies, Gremlins, Back to the Future he was the exec producer. He did the story for most of them, but never directed 'em.

He didn't get along well with the director of Poltergeist (well, at least according to the E True Hollywood story :) ), but he let him shoot his own movie. I know there are tons of stories about how he took over, but I have never heard any of the people on the production say anything other than it was Hooper's shots/framing etc.

Its the same thing he's doing with Flags of Our Fathers. It's Eastwood and Haggis's movie, but Speilburg is Exec Producing (because I believe Dreamworks bought the book rights).

Without reading 8 pages I'll add my two cents. I loved Land of the Dead and thought War of the Worlds was lame. Good special effects but overall I thought it was pretty boring. Just my opinion though. Oh, and the way that the aliens were defeated?....hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

380944[/snapback]

Hahaha as in screw you, aliens or hahaha as in stupid ending. If it's the latter, you have HG Wells to blame for that, right?

He didn't direct Poltergeist. Like Goonies, Gremlins, Back to the Future he was the exec producer. He did the story for most of them, but never directed 'em.

He didn't get along well with the director of Poltergeist (well, at least according to the E True Hollywood story :D ), but he let him shoot his own movie. I know there are tons of stories about how he took over, but I have never heard any of the people on the production say anything other than it was Hooper's shots/framing etc.

Its the same thing he's doing with Flags of Our Fathers. It's Eastwood and Haggis's movie, but Speilburg is Exec Producing (because I believe Dreamworks bought the book rights).

381144[/snapback]

When I watch it, there's no doubt in my mind that Spielberg was the major creative influence on the film.

I didn't think they were EVER going to get out of that damn basement. The 'cool special effect' w/ the tentacle was interminable - I was like "OK enough already!!!"