Mother: Sheri Shaw

Son #1: Mark Dickinson

Son #2: Corey Hendershot

Ding-ding: white trash alert!

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle....eid=3427&z=3&p=

Bus fight: Bus driver's job could be in jeopardy

Sloane Heffernan

Posted on: Monday, May 23, 2005

CHARLOTTE COUNTY— The fight between a Charlotte County school bus driver and two students has gained national attention. The parents say they don't condone their children's behavior, but that didn't excuse the actions of bus driver Albert Taylor. After watching the video, the district's transportation director said the bus driver's job may be on the line.

Fifteen year old Mark Dickinson and 13 year old Corey Hendershot face felony charges for striking a school employee. The bus driver faces misdemeanor charges. After viewing the disturbing video more times than they would like, the parents of the two brothers arrested for the fight spoke out about the strong public reaction.

"At first they made my boys look like monsters, that they beat the driver up. Since this tape came out they changed their minds," said Sheri Shaw.

Dickinson and Hendershot both face felony charges, which are required by law when a school employee is involved. The boys' parents have been making the rounds on national TV. <_< "You can't turn on TV without somebody saying something. Go to the store and somebody's asking me about it," said David Shaw.

Bus driver Albert Taylor faces misdemeanor charges. So far he has declined comment, but his attorney defended his actions. "I think he had the right to take action he did for safety of other students, safety of bus and safety of himself," said attorney Mark Desisto.

Charlotte County school district Transportation Director Armando deLeon sat down and watched the video. He claims bus drivers face similar situations all the time. "It was tough to watch the video," said deLeon.

deLeon says at first, Taylor follows standard procedure. "Pull the bus to the side of the road, make sure everything is safe, then if you can't handle the situation yourself," said Deleon.

deLeon says protocol is to then call for help, which Taylor did. But when he is hit with an expletive from one of the boys, that's when things go wrong. "Regardless of what the students say, it is ultimately our responsibility to make sure we provide the composure and behavior. The video shows there may have been a lack of that," said deLeon.

Because of that, deLeon says Taylor must now face the fact that his job is on the line. "We will support our bus drivers when there is an issue, but at the same time stepping over the line from either side is just not acceptable," said deLeon.

A line many believe both parties crossed. The only question remaining, with punishments yet to be handed down, is which party will pay the more severe penalty.

Initially, both boys were put on home detention for 21 days, which is the rest of the school year. The bus driver has been suspended with pay. Late Monday night, a judge ruled to take Hendershot off home detention. Both boys still face felony charges. The driver faces a misdemeanor battery charge.

The Shaws are pushing for harsher punishment for the driver, but they do concede their kids have learned a lesson from their behavior. "I think it will be in the back of their minds what it was like in jail. If something was to come about where they could be in trouble maybe it will be in their mind, I don't want any part of this," said Shaw.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mother:  Sheri Shaw

Son #1:  Mark Dickinson

Son #2:  Corey Hendershot

Ding-ding:  white trash alert!

369291[/snapback]

I'm not sure how that would make them white trash. I understand what you are getting at, but think about it for a minute.

Mothers maiden name could be Shaw. She marries a Dickinson. They have a child. She divorces and remarries Hendershot. They have a child. They divorce and she goes back to her maiden name and her children carry their fathers name.

That does not equate someone to white trash. Just a lady who could be divorced twice.

But that was funny anyways.

That bus driver should have hair drug them bastards up the yellow line and bashed their heads with the swinging door. Kids today suck....

369218[/snapback]

PEOPLE nowadays suck!

How many people out there patiently wait in line on the highway when the merge arrow tells you to move over? How many people fly up the emergency lane and weasel their way into traffic while going through a construction zone? How many people fly by the construction workers 10, 20 mph + in work zones?

Kid learn from what they see. Look at kids and you take a look in the mirror, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US. They are little recorders that take everthing in. People nowadays seem to get off on disrespect and offensive behavior.

It isn't about self-esteem or what not. Again, kids emulate what they see.

I am not sticking up for the kids either. It is just a sad escalation and incident that didn't need to happen!

I'm not sure how that would make them white trash.  I understand what you are getting at, but think about it for a minute.

Mothers maiden name could be Shaw.  She marries a Dickinson.  They have a child.  She divorces and remarries Hendershot.  They have a child.  They divorce and she goes back to her maiden name and her children carry their fathers name.

That does not equate someone to white trash.  Just a lady who could be divorced twice.

But that was funny anyways.

369426[/snapback]

I put the chances of this at 4%

PEOPLE nowadays suck!

How many people out there patiently wait in line on the highway when the merge arrow tells you to move over? 

369802[/snapback]

Okay, way out of thread here, but God does that annoy me. If there is a lane there, use it!!!!! Then go zipper style where the lane ends. This is how it is done everywhere else in the world, and should be done here. Why do you think the friggin lane is paved if they do not want you to use it.

Sorry for the rant, but I deal with everyday in Richmond on my home from work. Just drives me nuts

Okay, way out of thread here, but God does that annoy me. If there is a lane there, use it!!!!!  Then go zipper style where the lane ends. This is how it is done everywhere else in the world, and should be done here. Why do you think the friggin lane is paved if they do not want you to use it.

Sorry for the rant, but I deal with everyday in Richmond on my home from work. Just drives me nuts

369908[/snapback]

I can tell you from tremendous personal experience that that's NOT how it's done "everywhere" else in the world. There are a few places where drivers aren't idiots but not many.

Okay, way out of thread here, but God does that annoy me. If there is a lane there, use it!!!!!  Then go zipper style where the lane ends. This is how it is done everywhere else in the world, and should be done here. Why do you think the friggin lane is paved if they do not want you to use it.

369908[/snapback]

Ya... But, if the arrow is telling you to get over, why not? Get in line. What slows traffic up is the "merge weasels" pushing to the head of the line.

I would like to not see it merge so smoothly... Have the arrow, then just have the lane abruptly end another 500 feet or so.

If everybody would just get over and in line early when traffic is moving, it would be like sand through a hour glass?

Now the emergency lane is bordered with a white line... Sure it is paved... Do you have an emergency?

Ya... But, if the arrow is telling you to get over, why not?  Get in line.  What slows traffic up is the "merge weasels" pushing to the head of the line.

I would like to not see it merge so smoothly... Have the arrow, then just have the lane abruptly end another 500 feet or so.

If everybody would just get over and in line early when traffic is moving, it would be like sand through a hour glass?

Now the emergency lane is bordered with a white line... Sure it is paved... Do you have an emergency?

370056[/snapback]

Yeah. Now complain about how everyone is all about themselves because the "merge weasles" have the audacity to get in front of someone.

:D

Well, we don't want to hurt the little people's self esteem with discipline, do we?

Friggin' Benjamin Spock.  I'm almost tempted to dig him up and kill him again (kidding, touchy feely people).  <_<

369211[/snapback]