OT - Rochester Area Golfers

I am coming up for my niece's high school graduation this weekend and my brother has booked a tee time for Twin Hills in Spencerport. Any opinions, tips on the course. I'm about a 12 but play on some difficult courses down here in VA. Any comments are appreciated.

I am coming up for my niece's high school graduation this weekend and my brother has booked a tee time for Twin Hills in Spencerport.  Any opinions, tips on the course.  I'm about a 12 but play on some difficult courses down here in VA.  Any comments are appreciated.

363306[/snapback]

Tips: Hit the fairways and greens

Seriously though, I used to play in a league there a few years back. Very nice, but short course. Greens can be challenging. Some short par 4's that tempt you to go for the green - it is probably best to play it safe and hit an iron. Other than that nothing to dramatic - a very typical Rochester area semi-private course.

Tips:  Hit the fairways and greens

Seriously though, I used to play in a league there a few years back.  Very nice, but short course.  Greens can be challenging.  Some short par 4's that tempt you to go for the green - it is probably best to play it safe and hit an iron.  Other than that nothing to dramatic - a very typical Rochester area semi-private course.

363391[/snapback]

thanks...i did get a glimpse of an on-line score card and write up and it basically said what you said...nice course, short but tight.

It's OK. The layout is above average, but the greens are slow. It's short. It's an OK test of golf. As a 12 you won't be challenged much. You can take irons off the tee and not have any problems.

You could do worse, though. It's better than other courses in the area.

If you want a better test of golf, try Greystone or Shadow Pines. Ravenwood is also OK, but I don't like the greens. Boring greens.

I am coming up for my niece's high school graduation this weekend and my brother has booked a tee time for Twin Hills in Spencerport.  Any opinions, tips on the course.  I'm about a 12 but play on some difficult courses down here in VA.  Any comments are appreciated.

363306[/snapback]

Twin Hills is a very nice, well kept course and so far here it has been described pretty well.

A slightly better test might be Deerfield about 5 minutes away. Play what they used to call the north and south nines. More challenging. I haven't played there in awhile and I know they have new owners.

thanks for all of the info. I am kind of limited to geography and time as I have to play something in the Spencerport to Brockport areas. I played Greystone (not from the tips) and played o.k. It was very windy and cold the day I played. I'm going to be with my dad who is decent but not long. It sounds this will be playable for both of us. I'll let you know how I do!

Have played there on Thursdays for the last 15 years ....

People are right ... there are more challanging courses around .. but none in better shape or prettier ....

I think the greens are tough .. pin placements some nights are wicked .. on sides of hills or on the very edge of the greens near a hazard.

If it storms this is a course to get off fast .. people have died here due to lighting !

Front 9 you can pla with just irons .. very short .... back 8 is longer but if you stay out of trouble I think easier.

Hole 1 very short par 5 ... stay to the left and you should get a par

Hole 2 340 yard par 4 .. just do NOT be long to the green .. i you are over its down a bank and into the water

Hole 3 ... short par 3 .. easy

Hole 4 ... my killer hole ... you can find the stream .. hit the trees . or get lost on the side hill .. green is huge and they love the pin right on the edge of the upper tier ...

Hole 5 ... LONG par 3 with water all around the hole ... lots of ways to screw up ... prettiest hole on the course

Hole 6 ... green is elevated above the fairway .. a two putt on this green is doing well ... check the pin as you play #3 as u can not see the pin from the fairway

Hole 7 ... just stay right .. left is gone down a STEEP slope ... big green with a lot of pitch

Hole 8 ... 220 yards to the turn .. then due left to the hole 180 yards away .. this green is always like rock so aim short of the hole

Hole 9 .. nice hard par 4 .. depends on the pin .. its been on the very back upper level tier .. easy to 4 putt if the ball rolls back down to the lower level

Hole 10 .... nice par 5 .. lots of hazards ... sand .. two ponds ... HUGE green ... par here is good !

Hole 11 ... par 3 .. hard part is pine trees may block the ball from getting to the flag if the pin is left

Hole 12 ... fairly easy dogleg right ... just miss all the trees off the tee and its not bad

Hole 13 ... longest par 5 ... good tee shot and reachable in two for u .. green can be tough ..its huge and has a elevated front and back

Hole 14 ... 200 yards to the turn. then sharp right .. easy green

Hole 15 .. tee off over water, then its up to a VERY steep green with a flat top at the back . if the flag is in the middle you better be below the hole .. putting down hill is not fun

Hole 16 .. wide open .. but the green has the lower middle and a high front and back .. again depends on the pin if its hard

Hole 17 par 3 .. sand around green .. deepest bunkers ... pitched green .. par here is tricky

Hole 18 ... par 4 .. hardest hole on the course ... good drive gets you to the top of the last rise .. hitting to a green above you with a LOT of pitch to it ... hard to stop the ball on it .. very fast ... people roll off all of the time

So ... have fun .. hope this helps !!

Ken

Have played there on Thursdays for the last 15 years ....

People are right ... there are more challanging courses around .. but none in better shape or prettier ....

I think the greens are tough .. pin placements some nights are wicked .. on sides of hills or on the very edge of the greens near a hazard.

If it storms this is a course to get off fast .. people have died here due to lighting !

Front 9 you can pla with just irons .. very short .... back 8 is longer but if you stay out of trouble I think easier.

Hole 1 very short par 5 ... stay to the left and you should get a par

Hole 2 340 yard par 4 .. just do NOT be long to the green .. i you are over its down a bank and into the water

Hole 3 ... short par 3 .. easy

Hole 4 ... my killer hole ... you can find the stream .. hit the trees . or get lost on the side hill .. green is huge and they love the pin right on the edge of the upper tier ...

Hole 5 ... LONG par 3 with water all around the hole ... lots of ways to screw up ... prettiest hole on the course

Hole 6 ... green is elevated above the fairway .. a two putt on this green is doing well ... check the pin as you play #3 as u can not see the pin from the fairway

Hole 7 ... just stay right .. left is gone down a STEEP slope ... big green with a lot of pitch

Hole 8 ... 220 yards to the turn .. then due left to the hole 180  yards away .. this green is always like rock so aim short of the hole

Hole 9 .. nice hard par 4 .. depends on the pin .. its been on the very back upper level tier .. easy to 4 putt if the ball rolls back down to the lower level

Hole 10 .... nice par 5 .. lots of hazards ... sand .. two ponds ... HUGE green ... par here is good !

Hole 11 ... par 3 .. hard part is pine trees may block the ball from getting to the flag if the pin is left

Hole 12 ... fairly easy dogleg right ... just miss all the trees off the tee and its not bad

Hole 13 ... longest par 5 ... good tee shot and reachable in two for u .. green can be tough ..its huge and has a elevated front and back

Hole 14 ... 200 yards to the turn. then sharp right .. easy green

Hole 15 .. tee off over water, then its up to a VERY steep green with a flat top at the back . if the flag is in the middle you better be below the hole .. putting down hill is not fun

Hole 16 .. wide open .. but the green has the lower middle and a high front and back .. again depends on the pin if its hard

Hole 17 par 3 .. sand around green .. deepest bunkers ... pitched green .. par here is tricky

Hole 18 ... par 4 .. hardest hole on the course ... good drive gets you to the top of the last rise .. hitting to a green above you with a LOT of pitch to it ... hard to stop the ball on it .. very fast ... people roll off all of the time

So ... have fun .. hope this helps !!

Ken

364725[/snapback]

THANKS KEN!!!! don't think that I'm not printing this off right now!!!!

Anyone whave tips like this for Greystone?

I'm playing there for the first time on Sunday.

Probably the blue tees.

I'm a 17 hci.

365595[/snapback]

Yeah.

1. Par 5 - not a difficult hole. Concentrate on getting a solid lie off your drive and it makes the hole easier.

2. Short par 4 - 2-tier green. If the pin is on the upper tier, you're better to be long than short.

3. Par 3 - Pretty tricky. Don't go left, as the hills will send your ball way, way left.

4. Difficult par 4. Long, and OB on right. Tough approach with sand on right. On in 3 is better than a long drive OB.

5. Good driving hole. Start way up. If you've got any length at all you can leave yourself less than 100 yards to this hole. Left is better than right.

6. Par 3 over water. Not difficult.

7. Tough uphill par 4. Second shot is often blind. If you don't have much distance on your drive, you've got a 200 yard shot uphill for your second. You can triple bogey this hole very easily.

8. Fun hole. If you are long you can drive this par 4. Protected by sand in front.

9. Nice par 5. Tougher than it looks. DON'T GO RIGHT!

10. Easy par 4. Anything less than par would be disappointing. Ball placement setting up a good second shot is more important than length.

11. B word of a par 4. 5 wood off the tee. 2nd shot uphill over water must be accurate or you are in some deep stuff or in water.

12. Nice par 5. Uphill. Blind 2nd shot. Narrow fairway. Must be straight on drive or you are dead.

13. Uphill par 3. Highest point on the course. If there is any wind you can end up with a triple bogey. OB on left.

14. Par 4. Drive it straight or you will be screwed. OB on left, deep stuff on right.

15. Par 4 - more difficult than it looks. If you fly the green on your 2nd shot you go OB. If you hit it short, you are in sand. Choose the sand.

16. Great par 5. Trouble left. Layup on your 2nd shot or you could be screwed. Small landing area. Tricky green that slopes backward.

17. Easy par 3. 150 yds.

18. One of the best holes in western NY. Tough. Only golf pussies don't appreciate it. You should take an iron or 7 wood off the tee, as a 250 yd drive goes in the water. 2nd shot is over a huge pond. If you don't have a good lie it's easy to go in the water. Green is guarded by water in front, which poses a psychological barrier.

Not that anyone cares, but I played on Sunday. Here are my opinions in no particular order:

- very scenic, well maintained course

- very poorly marked course as it pertains to yardage

- the greens were hard and fast

- the front is definitely shorter and definitely tighter

- you shouldn't drink 20 beers at your niece's graduation party the night before you have a 6:30 a.m. tee time

- $37 was a bit steep

I'm sure everyone is most interested to know - 50, yes that's right a 50 on the front and a 42 on the back. My driver (which I should have not been even hitting on the front) was very wild the first several holes and got me in trouble. If I played that course 2 more times, I would easily play it in the low 80's. Thanks for all of those that gave me input...it was helpful.

Glad u had a good time ... my comments below !

Not that anyone cares, but I played on Sunday. Here are my opinions in no particular order:

- very scenic, well maintained course Yes it is ... one of the better ones around !

- very poorly marked course as it pertains to yardage Should have warned u on that, I know the course and am always looking for the marers, some I do not believe either- the greens were hard and fast

- the front is definitely shorter and definitely tighter Like I said, use just irons on the front !

- you shouldn't drink 20 beers at your niece's graduation party the night before you have a 6:30 a.m. tee time Well maybe only 15 would have been ok !

- $37 was a bit steep Sure is !! But I bet you had a cart ... most of the area course are at least that if not more .. if you had played Gratstone bet it would have been $50 and no better time

I'm sure everyone is most interested to know - 50, yes that's right a 50 on the front and a 42 on the back. My driver (which I should have not been even hitting on the front) was very wild the first several holes and got me in trouble. If I played that course 2 more times, I would easily play it in the low 80's. Thanks for all of those that gave me input...it was helpful.

I am a once a week hack ... and shoot 50-52 each week ... its a fun course and the greens are as tough as any ... would LOVE to see the LPGA play them .. I KNOW I would bet a few of those gals !!