Phase II

I know about gentrification. Hell's Kitchen is now "Clinton."

My problem is when governments disregard the constitution and cave in to the dictatorial yuppies.

362343[/snapback]

Well, there goes another American Icon.

Well, there goes another American Icon.

362640[/snapback]

When it was "Hell's Kitchen" there were admittedly problems galore. This area is what "West Side Story" was based on. The Irish Gang ("The Westies") was out of control. They were killing each other. These guys were nuts.

The good news is that many different ethnic groups, in time, lived in harmony. There were African Americans, Eastern Europeans, Irish, Italians, Puerto Ricans, and everybody else all in the same buildings and they actually looked out for each other. Apartments were affordable.

Today, perhaps you can rent a one bedroom apartment for something in the neighborhood of $2,300 per month, IF you are accepted by the yuppie co-op board. You can walk down the street and eat sushi, or dine in a vegetarian restaurant.

Which is better? I am the wrong guy to ask. My life is a latter day version of "West Side Story." I am married for 21 years to a Puerto-Ricana from Manhattan. One daughter attends an Ivy League school. The other scored high on her SAT and is interested in UB.

I guess that I prefer "West Side Story" to "Caramel Macchiata Story," but hey, I suppose that my scope is limited.

Tailgates were against the law for years at Texas Stadium - at least REAL tailgates. You couldn't cook because of the fire hazard. Now one must wonder since there are no trees and grass in the parking lot....and since the stadium itself sits quarantined amidst freeways...where exactly they thought this wildfire would go, or who would care when it got there...

But there it is. The removed the restriction a few years ago and and lo! That I know of, no ijit has fallen into his deep-fryer and killed his dumb self. And unfortunately no wildfires have burned down some of the ugliest real estate ANY side of the Mississippi.