Bob McAdoo for two!

seq004

I am not sure how much of the reason the Braves left was due to the NBA wanting a team in the west coast. The way I recall it, Synder needed money and couldn't afford to keep the team. He basically sold his controlling interest to John Y. Brown. The Braves had assembled a remarkable array of talent that year. A lot of folks forget that we had picked up Nate Archibald (I think the only player ever to lead the league is scoring and assists in the same season, which is remarkable) although he tore up his knee and missed the whole season. They also traded for Moses Malone, and he played in two games of four minutes each before John Y. Brown sold him for a million dollars and kept the cash. Then he sold Jim McMillan, another very good player, for cash, and traded McAdoo for John Gianelli and cash. Brown had made a deal with Snyder that said he would retain all money he receieved in player deals. So Brown, the biggest scumbag in Buffalo sports history, sold all those players and ended up keeping all the money and paying virtually nothing for the franchise. His goal was to own the Celtics.

Over the last two years the city was so pissed no one went to the games and he used that excuse to try to sell the team and move them. Yes, the Celtic owner wanted to be on the west coast, so the made some strange swap of players and franchises. It was actually David Stern who came up with the scenario (before he was commish). The Braves moved to San Diego but with only half the good players, the other half were from the Celtics. The Celtics got Archibald, Billy Knight (who Brown traded rookie of the year Adrian Dantley for) and Marvin Barnes. From the Celtics, the Clippers got Kermit Washington (of the famous Rudy T punch), Freeman Williams and Sidney Wicks, who were all washed up. That was the same year the Celts drafted Larry Bird, which figured in the deal some way (the Celts wouldn't do it if they had to use the draft pick).

Bob Kaufman anybody? That name must bring back memories for some of you former Braves fans. :blink:

362336[/snapback]

It does for me - I remember him as the Braves best player the first year or two of the franchise. As a 9 year old I thought he also owned the bakey on Main I'd pass with Dad on our way to the Aud!

It does for me - I remember him as the Braves best player the first year or two of the franchise. As a 9 year old I thought he also owned the bakey on Main I'd pass with Dad on our way to the Aud!

362401[/snapback]

Yeah, he spoke at my grammer school, way back..can't remember the year. I got a picture autographed! I believe he was the team captain....

Incidently, I baught some Buffalo Braves highlight films off of some guy on EBAY a few years back. The videos are so-so quality (audio for some years, no audio for others, and some are a little dark), but the guy had a really cool Buffalo Braves fan site. I can't seem to find the address anymore, maybe it is gone now.

In addition to the videos, I baught a Braves t-shirt (before you could find them everywhere) and a cologne bottle, with a Braves emblem carved into it...I remember my brother had one of those way back...ahh the memories......

That is how I understand it.  I used to collect the Dairylea milk coupons also but I didn't have anyone to take me downtown as I was a kid so they went unused.

I didn't learn about the Knoxes hogging the best dates until I believe it got exposed in one of Rick Azar's final commentaries.  I still remember that the Braves were wildly popular despite them not getting the best dates and they still sold the place out with crowds approximating 17,000.

362220[/snapback]

We used to go to the games with the Daiylea (I still have our old Dairylea galvanized milk box) milk carton coupons... Sit in the oranges... I think that is were I first got vertigo!

Buffalo would be a great basketball town.

Way back before halftime shows were what they are now, I was a part of the old YMCA on Eggert at the Kensington Expressway trampoline team. We were the halftime shows at some of the Braves games. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade at the time. Times have changed!