Our secret is out: We're happy here

Our secret is out: We're happy here

The 20 Happiest Cities

The gem of information surfaced onto my computer screen like a silent stealth bomber.

While surfing a Web site focused on men's health, I came across an article written by Sara Vigneri titled, "Is Your Town Down?" Not completely comprehending her question, I circled my mouse to the ready position, prepared to move on. Then I saw another question that made me pause. Vigneri asked, "Where can you find happiness?"

Based on statistics of the number of days residents report being depressed, anti-depressant sales and suicide rates, Vigneri created a list of "the 20 happiest cities" in the United States. There, at No. 11, in bold black print for the entire Internet world to see, the name of my beloved hometown of Buffalo surfaced before my unbelieving eyes.

Naturally, I rechecked the Web site address to assure myself that this was not some out-of-towner's attempt at yet another nasty Buffalo joke. However, in multiple Googles of both location and publication, it became clear that the site was legit and the article was real.

Busted, I thought to myself.

With one fell swoop of her computer keyboard, Vigneri gave international light to the secret that we Buffalo natives have long coddled and preserved. By employing statistical information, she revealed the reason that we Buffalonians willingly endure ridicule and scorn for living in an area trademarked by subzero wind chills and mountainous snowfalls. Lumping us in with such sexy hot-spots as Honolulu, Hawaii and Baton Rouge, La., Vigneri completely revealed the most significant reason that Buffalo is a one-of-a-kind place to live - people are happy here.

It's the truth. As a group, the people who live in Buffalo are friendly, outgoing and happy. Oh sure, we have our fair share of grouches and grumps, but overall, the reason that so many of us keep pounding our heads against brick walls of higher taxes, disastrous politics, bone-chilling winters and a never-ending litany of failed economic development is that the people we live with here in the Queen City make it all worthwhile.

Personally, I've known this ever since I moved away to some of the so-called "highly desirable" urban locales of New York, Toronto and Vancouver. Sure, the infrastructure of those municipalities offered everything and more, but never did I ever find people as warm and welcoming as those living right here.

Happy and friendly is our style. It's who we are. It's what makes Buffalo a great town in which to live, work and play. And now, thanks to blabbermouth Vigneri, every Tom, Dick and Harry knows it too.

So maybe we should make a deal with one of the municipalities that Vigneri listed in her article as "the top 20 most depressed cities." Maybe in exchange for a Bocce pizza and a double order of extra hot Anchor Bar wings, we could get Philadelphia (No. 1) or Tampa (No. 5) or the Big Apple (No. 11) to quietly trade places with us, just so we can shield our happy secret before it becomes too well known.

If not, then perhaps we can get Vigneri to issue a retraction stating that the listing of Buffalo was a typographical error. Hey, why not? Anyone who's anyone would believe it. As for the rest of us, we don't need an Internet site or a national publication to tell us what we already know. We're happy here.

Jersey City?? Are they kidding? And Tampa is supposed to be depressed??? Ask a Buffalonian or Jersey guy how depressed he is in the middle of January, then ask the same question to a Tampa Bay resident while he's on the beach swimming in the ocean.

Jersey City?? Are they kidding? And Tampa is supposed o be depressed??? Ask a Buffalonian or Jersey guy how depressed he in in the middle of January, then ask the same question to a Tampa Bay resident while he's on the beach swimming in the ocean.

359370[/snapback]

Uh, to be more accurate, a Tampa resident would be swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, not the ocean. Unless of course, you mean the resident would drive across the state to THEN swim in the ocean, but it would seem like a lot of trouble to me.

Uh, to be more accurate, a Tampa resident would be swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, not the ocean.  Unless of course, you mean the resident would drive across the state to THEN swim in the ocean, but it would seem like a lot of trouble to me.

359381[/snapback]

You have too much time on your hands.

Uh, to be more accurate, a Tampa resident would be swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, not the ocean.  Unless of course, you mean the resident would drive across the state to THEN swim in the ocean, but it would seem like a lot of trouble to me.

359381[/snapback]

Technically, you're right. But still a d*ck thing to say.

359381[/snapback]

Not too much trouble, just take I-4 to Datona Beach baby.

Jersey City?? Are they kidding? And Tampa is supposed to be depressed??? Ask a Buffalonian or Jersey guy how depressed he is in the middle of January, then ask the same question to a Tampa Bay resident while he's on the beach swimming in the ocean.

359370[/snapback]

Im from Tampa, and I wouldnt swim in the ocean in January!! Too cold for that!! Tampa isnt Miami!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy it.

Buffalonians B word about the weather and the economy, but I haven't met very many that don't crack a smile when talking about their home town.

Although, the Jersey city thing makes no sense to me. Perhaps it's a community thing?

-Jeff

-This list is based on antidepressant sales- .

I knew you out of towners were all hopped up on something with your constant whining. ~NG~ probably has you folks hooked. :P

If you consumed more beer like a normal WNYer, you'd be far happier. :w00t:

Jersey City?  :P

359918[/snapback]

Never thought I would say this, but...

I am spending a week of training in Jercy City this week. I was looking forward to this like I look forward date with the dentist's drill.... but,

The place is really intersting, clean, yes clean, at least the newer areas along the water, with amazing views of the NYC skyline across the river. From the Empire State building which is still impressive down to the financial district (with something missing...). You can easily jump on the (very clean) PATH train to get across (under) the river and pop up in the city and get back, all easy and conveniant.

Hey, if JC can rehabilitate itself there is hope for Buffalo!

The only reason Salt Lake got such a bad grade is because they finally realized that everybody here is so damn happy from all the antidepressants.

-This list is based on antidepressant sales- .

I knew you out of towners were all hopped up on something with your constant whining. ~NG~ probably has you folks hooked.  :blush:

If you consumed more beer like a normal WNYer, you'd be far happier.  :D

359913[/snapback]

I think all of the depressed people moved out of Buffalo.