LT Kaydn Proctor To Re-enter Portal And Return To Alabama.......

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, but it's buying loyalty like doing business with the mob builds loyalty.  You are each loyal to each other because you have dirt on each other.  That's kind of a weird thing to want to bring back.  Form your friends perspective yeah I guess I'd be annoyed that 100k doesn't buy what it used to buy in terms of control and I appreciate why he'd want that back but I don't think giving him that back would be beneficial to the players and if the Universities want that scummy relationship back in the game then the whole sport should be stopped because it's too broken to fix.

I see it as college football going corporate.  They don't need your friend's dirty money anymore when there are businesses and individuals who are willing to pump legitimate money into the system now because now they are allowed to.  A lot of them aren't looking for loyalty to the university specifically either, they want access to the player to openly rep their business or product in ways they used to not be able to do.  They'll pick players from a certain school, but those relationships are openly transactional and temporary.  I dunno, this feels healthier though I can appreciate why it's frustrating for people who have been at it awhile.

I'm not saying it's perfect

I'm saying that this new era of college football that's going to have two super conferences...

And a bunch of afterthoughts

Sounds worse than the old way which might have been corrupt... But there was legitimately 5 major conferences with historic rivalries 

Even mid majors were able to build semi-dynasties at the group of five level... Boise states run with Peterson over a decade was beautiful for the game and will probably never happen again

It made his competition step their game up

A lot of people including myself feel like this is going to kill team continuity which used to get developed over years and years

Yes the old way was dirty... It still is not perfect... All the power to the players

It's just going to turn into two mega super conferences and a bunch of meh in 20 years if it doesn't get fixed

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think players should have the option of transferring without consequence but it should be a one-time deal

This sounds great and I would be in favor of this, however; I am not a lawyer, but I have serious doubts about whether this would stand up in court. For instance, if I am a college student (non-athlete), am I not allowed to transfer from school to school at will?  I would think so. It might slow down my obtaining a degree but as you well know, many of these student athletes don't care all that much about college degrees.  

Don't get me wrong. I am an Alabama Fan and I started this thread to express my misgivings about the Proctor situation.  One would think that a group called the NCAA would possess a certain amount of intelligence but this doesn't seem to be the case. The ever divided US Supreme Court actually ruled 9-0 against them fairly recently. I get the impression that soon the NCAA will not exist.

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This sounds great and I would be in favor of this, however; I am not a lawyer, but I have serious doubts about whether this would stand up in court. For instance, if I am a college student (non-athlete), am I not allowed to transfer from school to school at will?  I would think so. It might slow down my obtaining a degree but as you well know, many of these student athletes don't care all that much about college degrees.  

Don't get me wrong. I am an Alabama Fan and I started this thread to express my misgivings about the Proctor situation.  One would think that a group called the NCAA would possess a certain amount of intelligence but this doesn't seem to be the case. The ever divided US Supreme Court actually ruled 9-0 against them fairly recently. I get the impression that soon the NCAA will not exist.

If you read one of my earlier posts I said the exact same thing

The NCAA is in Jeopardy of not existing in 20 years.. if this all keeps up

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you read one of my earlier posts I said the exact same thing

The NCAA is in Jeopardy of not existing in 20 years.. if this all keeps up

Agreed and less than 10 years is probably a more likely scenario.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:49 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Agreed and less than 10 years is probably a more likely scenario.

The NCAA became irrelevant the day they allowed Cam Newton to continue playing even when his dad admitted to shopping his kid.

I could understand if the father and son were estranged and dad was looking to use his kid to make money.

This was not the case for Cam and his dad.

• Like (+1) 1