Tyson McBride

ofiba

it's all hindsight now, but if he had extended his 1985-1990 dominance 10-15 more years, had not gotten himself thrown in jail, then yes, he would have been one of the best ever.  But, its all hypothetical

356369[/snapback]

Evander Holyfield would have beaten Tyson on his best day. When you start talking about the best ever, even in his prime Tyson would have stood no chance against Joe Louis or Ali in their prime. I won't even get into other divisions, where there are a litany of fighters much greater than Tyson who beat far better caliber competition over the course of their careers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evander Holyfield would have beaten Tyson on his best day.  When you start talking about the best ever, even in his prime Tyson would have stood no chance against Joe Louis or Ali in their prime.  I won't even get into other divisions, where there are a litany of fighters much greater than Tyson who beat far better caliber competition over the coarse of their careers.

356370[/snapback]

I'm just saying two things. first, its all hindsight. Second, i'd have a strong argument if he didn't go off the deep end from buster douglas on.

I'm just saying two things.  first, its all hindsight.  Second, i'd have a strong argument if he didn't go off the deep end from buster douglas on.

356371[/snapback]

It's not hindsight. It's speculation. Tyson has been exposed and it's rather doubtful that it wouldn't have happened.

Buster Douglas isn't the reason Mike Tyson lost to Evander Holyfield.

It's not hindsight.  It's speculation.  Tyson has been exposed and it's rather doubtful that it wouldn't have happened.

Buster Douglas isn't the reason Mike Tyson lost to Evander Holyfield.

356375[/snapback]

no buster douglas was not the reason, but it seems like tyson's in ring problems began with buster douglas... In any event, because of his upbringing, his people, and the way he is wired, tyson was pretty much set to explode. It's unfortunate that a guy with such talent basically had zero potential to maximize it. Either way, i still don't feel sorry for his misfortunes.

No he wasn't.  He was a media creation, plain and simple.

356360[/snapback]

Not to mention he stepped into boxing during the perfect time period. Good heavy weights were VERY scarce back then. Spinks, Douglas ect....? The media says now that the heavy weight division is in trouble. It was in bigger trouble 10-15 years ago.

Mike TYson was a damn good fighter, who never really proved himself because he knocked guys out too quick. He was plan and simple a great slugger. His boxing skills and form were fair at best, but he could flat out hit. He has been exposed now since he no longer has the over powering punch, and has to really on skills to be able to go 6+ rounds. He has shown he can't do it.

Overall he is probably in the top 20 boxers in the heavyweight division ever. But his general lack of skills shows.

As far as he as a person goes, he is strang, he has done somethings wrong, but he paid his debt, and is out there trying to earn a living, so i will hand it too him and give him his dues.

I can't believe there are still people who take Mike Tyson seriously as a boxer.

The guy is a sideshow freak, period.

356387[/snapback]

Look at the way ESPN treated him all week leading up to another debacle of a fight.

Look at the way ESPN treated him all week leading up to another debacle of a fight.

356388[/snapback]

What stuns me is that there are still people out there who actually pay to watch what clearly has become the mutated placenta of WWF and As The World Turns. And shortly after plunking down their money, they see a fight that was clearly orchestrated...a fight that clearly was over-promoted...a fight they would see at a higher level of professionalism if they could just get their hands on a bootleg version of "Bum Fights."

What stuns me is that there are still people out there who actually pay to watch what clearly has become the mutated placenta of WWF and As The World Turns. And shortly after plunking down their money, they see a fight that was clearly orchestrated...a fight that clearly was over-promoted...a fight they would see at a higher level of professionalism if they could just get their hands on a bootleg version of "Bum Fights."

356389[/snapback]

Only in America. :doh:

Fame and fortune destroyed Tyson.

356374[/snapback]

That and the fact that his parents pretty crappy to him. Most people that are beaten bad as kids by adults (parents, priests, babysitters) tend to be really screwed up for a long. I speak from experience on this.