Tyson McBride

ofiba

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No he wasn't.  He was a media creation, plain and simple.

356360[/snapback]

that is outrageous. I have every tyson fight from his career on a collection of 17 DVDs. I invite you to watch them and then tell me he's a creation of the media. Hell, find me a single boxer, ex-boxer, boxing commentator, etc that believes tyson was never a real fighter.

The roughly 30 fights between 1985-1990 show what is undeniably one of the most ferocious fighters ever in boxing. He might not compare to an Ali, Frazier, or Foreman in terms of an all around fighter...but his is one of the most feared fighters for his compact power and unbelievable quickness and accuracy. The type of dominance he displays in the '85-'90 fights and the overall fear that is visible in his opponents eyes will match up with any fighter you'd like to name.

I was at the fight last night..and honestly much like his other recent fights I don't believe his style has changed all that much - he just doesn't have the intensity and apparent knockout power that he had early in his career. He landed numerous of his infamous uppercuts cleanly...McBride was just able to weather the storm. Tyson really hasn't ever been a 5+ round fighter. The fights early in his career that last 10, 12 rounds were always a result of the opponent holding/hiding - not from an opponent being able to trade punches. The only early instance of a 10 round fight resulting from offense from the opponent is Buster Douglas - who dominanted tyson from the opening bell and obviously won on a KO.

As far as him being total scum...I'm not here to say tyson is a good person. But the guy had absolutely NO family figures to give him guidence. The closest thing to a father figure was Cus D'Amato - and he died in 1985 before Tyson really realized his success. The guy literally had NOBODY and all of a sudden he's got this huge fame and fortune...and you know who he ends up having to give him advice? DON KING. A guy that was convicted of murdering someone by stomping them to death.

It's not a new story. Just count the young athletes with fame and fortune that have screwed up without the right people around him. And tyson didn't just not have the right people - he had exactly the wrong people. mix that with obvious mental issues and it's no surprise he's an unstable human being that ended up making a mess of his life.

here are tyson's career stats:

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000474

That's your opinion. What I saw throughout his career was a guy who dominated terrible competition and was unable to dominate anyone who was even decent.

Quick Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith, Blood Green, Jose Ribalta, Tony Tucker - those are some of the "quality" heavyweights that Tyson struggled with. In reality, none of them are anymore than journeymen in heavyweight history.

You want to laud a guy for pounding the crap out of Conroy Nelson, that's shows how little you know about the sport or its history.