Any opinion on Rachel Nichols?

Anyone who has seen SportsCenter over the last few months has certainly seen Rachel Nichols reporting live from somewhere. I believe this week she's at the NBA Finals. Anyway, sorry if I offend any Rachel Nichols fans but this chick is horrible.

She's monotone, lacks any sort of emotion and basically looks like a deer in the headlights while into the camera. We all know they're reading off teleprompters but it's not actually supposed to look that way.

The thing is, she'd probably actually be pretty decent if she was on a local TV station, but she doesn't exactly seem like ESPN material. I hate to assume (no I don't) but let's do the math...

Girl with average at best looks + weak delivery + terrible TV presence + coming out of nowhere only to cover the NBA Finals and become what appears to be top reporter for SportsCenter = Possible extra special relationship with someone at the top??? :)

Anyone who has seen SportsCenter over the last few months has certainly seen Rachel Nichols reporting live from somewhere.  I believe this week she's at the NBA Finals.  Anyway, sorry if I offend any Rachel Nichols fans but this chick is horrible. 

She's monotone, lacks any sort of emotion and basically looks like a deer in the headlights while into the camera.  We all know they're reading off teleprompters but it's not actually supposed to look that way. 

The thing is, she'd probably actually be pretty decent if she was on a local TV station, but she doesn't exactly seem like ESPN material.  I hate to assume (no I don't) but let's do the math...

Girl with average at best looks + weak delivery + terrible TV presence + coming out of nowhere only to cover the NBA Finals and become what appears to be top reporter for SportsCenter = Possible extra special relationship with someone at the top???  :)

354612[/snapback]

No, it's because ESPN hires women over men time after time. An alumnus at ESPN Radio asked our student-run radio station while I was in school if anyone was interested in working for the ESPN Radio.

The catch? He only wanted women and offerred positions to girls outside of the sports department and would not even return phone calls of any of the guys in the sports department.

No, it's because ESPN hires women over men time after time. An alumnus at ESPN Radio asked our student-run radio station while I was in school if anyone was interested in working for the ESPN Radio.

The catch? He only wanted women and offerred positions to girls outside of the sports department and would not even return phone calls of any of the guys in the sports department.

354627[/snapback]

Ain't diversity great?

:)

Anyone who has seen SportsCenter over the last few months has certainly seen Rachel Nichols reporting live from somewhere.  I believe this week she's at the NBA Finals.  Anyway, sorry if I offend any Rachel Nichols fans but this chick is horrible. 

She's monotone, lacks any sort of emotion and basically looks like a deer in the headlights while into the camera.  We all know they're reading off teleprompters but it's not actually supposed to look that way. 

The thing is, she'd probably actually be pretty decent if she was on a local TV station, but she doesn't exactly seem like ESPN material.  I hate to assume (no I don't) but let's do the math...

Girl with average at best looks + weak delivery + terrible TV presence + coming out of nowhere only to cover the NBA Finals and become what appears to be top reporter for SportsCenter = Possible extra special relationship with someone at the top???  :)

354612[/snapback]

Rachel Nichols is pretty damn cute if you ask me. She's kinda hispanic looking or something, and is young and chipper. She is like a sorority chick or something it seems.....but bad on the eyes? Not really.

Not that I'm a big fan of Rachel Nichols (because I'm not)...but i will defend her on the grounds that was not handed the job on a silver platter. She did pay her dues in print journalism and was a very successful sports writer & columnist for the Washington Post. Apparently she wanted to make the leap to tv and she got some small gigs in New York until ESPN gave her some work. I've read about her in DC and word is that she is a much more talented writer than a TV personality.