CNNSI Legends in the Wrong Uniform

In his last two seasons, Steve Carlton pitched for the SF Giants, White Sox, Indians & Twins.

Even in the old days, guys hung on for one last paycheck.

353261[/snapback]

Carlton was convinced that he merely had some "mechanical problems" with his delivery. Yeah Lefty, your arm wasn't moving fast enough to maintain the spin required to make your slider... uh... slide.

When he went to the Giants he gave his first press conference since 1971 when he claims he was misquoted by a St. Louis beat writer. The press hated him so much because of his refusal to speak to them, he was conspicuously missing from the All-Century team. Okay, at the time he was #2 all-time in Ks, #2 all-time amongst left-handers in victories, and a 4-time Cy Young winner. The BBWA show their spite by not electing him because he wouldn't talk to them. Nice.

As a kid, I had a great poster that had him holding a burning base ball with Mike Schmidt holding a burning bat. The title was MVP and CY. They were wearing those gawd-awful blue roadies.

Dale Murphy on the Phillies

353641[/snapback]

Funny you should mention that. Murphy looked weird in a Phillies uniform, and downright silly in those Rockies duds.

I was at a Braves-Phillies game in '91. Glavine was throwing a gem as the Braves were killing the Fightins. Roger McDowell was doing some mop-up work when Otis Nixon came up. They had a history, so McDowell gives him some chin music. The ump warns him and on the next pitch, Nixon gets plunked. McDowell is tossed along with the Phillies manager (Fregosi? Felske?). A the top of the next inning, Dale Murphy is leading off. Glavine has to protect his player, right? But if he beans Murphy, he'll be as popular in Atlanta as General Sherman. He throws 4 70 MPH tosses in the Mormon's direction and gets the rail. That was about the only interesting thing that happened at the Vet that day.

Old school time........

Football

Joe Namath- LA Rams

Johnny Unitas- San Diego Chargers

Franco Harris- Seattle Seahawks

Ken Stabler- New Orleans Saints

and did you know that.....Archie Manning finished his career with the Vikings, Jim McMahon played for the Vikings, Cardinals & Packers to finish out his career, Warren Moon played with the Chiefs his last season and I didn't remember this at all but Frank Reich played for the Jets and than Detroit to finish out his career,

Baseball

Keith Hernandez- Cleveland Indians

Willie Mays- NY Mets

Hank Aaron- Milwaukee Brewers

Babe Ruth- Boston Braves

Ty Cobb- Philadelphia A's

In his last two seasons, Steve Carlton pitched for the SF Giants, White Sox, Indians & Twins.

Even in the old days, guys hung on for one last paycheck.

353261[/snapback]

I am pretty sure that Reich finished, or at least played, a few years in Carolina for the Panthers. He still lives and has a ministry there...

I am pretty sure that Reich finished, or at least played, a few years in Carolina for the Panthers. He still lives and has a ministry there...

353751[/snapback]

Frank Reich started the first few games for the brand new Carolina Panthers. Kerry Collins took over about halfway through the season.

Reich finished up his career in Detroit. At the '97 game at Rich (Ralph Wilson) Stadium, there was an eerie feeling of deja vu as the PA announcer said, "Reich's pass is complete to Metzelaars." You couldn't help but cheer.