Here is how I would fix the offense (Listen up Dorsey)

Alphadawg7

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Come on gunner, you can’t say it had nothing to do with our front 4 when our 2 penetrating DTs were out of the game that were playing at practically an All-Pro level this year.  That absolutely impacts the defense and how McD is going to call the game and game plan.  

While the depth aren’t bums, they also are not going to impact the game the way Jones and Oliver would have.  Not only do they provide much more on the interior, but they change everything for the edge guys too.  It’s a night and day level difference to have Oliver and Jones in the middle vs not having them in the middle.  

And the defensive statistics support that as well between before and after the injuries.  

I'm the biggest Ed Oliver guy on these boards.... Ed would have made a difference on Sunday because he'd play the run and because he is just a better disrupter than the other 2 guys.... but I doubt it would have left to lots more sacks or pressures. The ball was just gone too quickly. I have heard the argument from others that the blitz heavy style was an attempt to cover for the loss of key guys but I just don't accept that it was a good idea even in those circumstances. Sending more guys to not got there just meant fewer guys to stop the catch and run. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm the biggest Ed Oliver guy on these boards.... Ed would have made a difference on Sunday because he'd play the run and because he is just a better disrupter than the other 2 guys.... but I doubt it would have left to lots more sacks or pressures. The ball was just gone too quickly. I have heard the argument from others that the blitz heavy style was an attempt to cover for the loss of key guys but I just don't accept that it was a good idea even in those circumstances. Sending more guys to not got there just meant fewer guys to stop the catch and run. 

It was Oliver and Jones missing though...not just Oliver...and of course Milano too.  Jones was at the time of his injury having probably the best season of any DT in football.  Losing those guys up front and the captain behind them in Milano (replaced by a rookie who got benched at halftime) was going to force McD to do different things than if he had those 2 at least upfront.

Im not saying McD couldn't have made other adjustments, but we didn't lose that game because of the defense.  Had the offense been even just 1/4 as productive in the first half as it was in the 2nd half, we are up 2 scores or more and the final drive is irrelevant.  The offense gave the Pats 10 quick points early in the game between by giving the Pats good field position.  

I just can't come away from that game and say the defense is why we lost.  Even with the defensive struggles, we had a lead late in the 4th.  That should have been at minimum a 2 score lead, if not not more, but our offense was once again putrid for half of this game like he has been the first half of the last 3 games.  And if this coaching staff doesn't find a way to get the offense going earlier in games, we won't make the playoffs because this defense is not going to be anywhere near what it was without Tre, Milano, and Jones...and that is before factoring in any additional games any other players on D may miss the rest of the season.  

21 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Please enlighten me, what are those again? Diagram and describe the scheme while you're at it 😉

Geezus, no need to be this pompus and dense.  I have already answered this question.

Last time I checked Beane aint a coach. I'm telling you what the Bills have been doing, and why they are having success doing it the way they've been doing. It's just not what you want and you have no evidence to support what you want would be better.

LMAO...this is a ridiculous reply.  You are categorically wrong about what the "purpose" of us running 12 personnel for us is supposed to be...I don't know what else to tell you.  They did NOT trade up in the first to draft Kincaid so he and Knox could "draw guys in" to get 1 on 1 matchups on the outside for Diggs who is hardly ever going to see a 1 on 1 regardless and Davis who scares no one and produces 1-3 catches a game in the majority of his games.  If you can't understand that Kincaid was drafted...traded up for...to be a receiving weapon then there is no reason to keep talking about this.  

I mean Beane literally said "he wasn't drafted to block"..."its more like 11.5 personnell" with Kincaid a big slot...etc etc.  If you want to reply with this ridiculous comment "Beane isn't a coach" and not even realize that all you are doing is furthering my original point about how Dorsey is NOT utilizing the mismatches and advantages correctly that Kincaid and even Knox provide in that formation, then I don't know what to tell you and no need to keep discussing it.

53 receptions for 843 and 10 TDs. If I told you that would be the production from our #2 receiver at the beginning of the season no one would have batted an eye. Everyone is up in arms because he didn't do anything against the Pats, but again haven't watched the tape. He was used a lot as a collector in concepts. Pulling defenders vertically with him to open up stuff underneath. Why do you think Kincaid had the day he did.

Here we go...the absolute waste of time "Season Total" stats that literally provide NO CONTEXT what so ever of week to week involvement or production.  Its comical to see you say watch the tape, when clearly you are not and just trying to use stats to manipulate the stance.  

if you think Davis is a quality WR2 then I don't know what to tell you.  And I was a guy who was once again high on him after his strong camp and contract year.  But you don't seem to understand enough about WR's to evaluate them correctly.  Because if you did, you would see a guy in Davis who struggles on routes that don't have straight line cuts or rounded routes.  I don't care if he is a good blocker, we are NOT a power running team, we are an air it out offense and he isn't doing enough week to week to justify 96% of the snaps, and that is true his whole career.

You wan to look at stats...go check is poor career catch rate.  Go check how many 100 yard games he has had during his first 3 seasons.  Go check how many games he has under 50 yards.  Go check how many games he has 3 catches or less.  Go check how many games he barely registers an impact.  Go check how many games we literally lost where he had a key drop that might have changed the outcome of the game.  

I could care less about the meaningless end of year totals.  He will have one big game, a few decent games and a bunch of duds.  That is Davis.  His "Big Game Davis" name is not accurate, its ironic because it only happens like once a year.  In 7 playoff games he has 2 good games (KC and Miami last year).  

You've provided none...

Disagree.

No I'm describing how defenses align to offensive sets. Has nothing to do with what we do out of them. The game has rules. Learn them.

That is rich coming from a guy who thinks we traded up for a TE after signing a TE to $50M contract so we could run 12 personnel to get 1 on 1's on the outside with a guy who still won't get 1 on 1's and a guy who doesn't produce when he gets 1 on 1.    

The offense has been unstoppable the second half of games with virtually no changes.

LMAO...guess the offense is perfect then.  

PS:  No...No...No it hasn't.  We had SEVEN points midway through the 4th quarter against Jags and lowly Giants.  We had a terrible 2nd half against the Jets too.  That is not in anyway "unstoppable" in the 2nd half.  For a guy who keeps telling me I know nothing about football and need to watch the games, you sure seem to have a lot of stuff wrong.  

It does. The film shows we have designed plays to get Cook the ball in open space in the pass game. Should it be more? Probably, which is what I said in my initial response, but the scheme is there.

Stop.  You don't have a clue to what the film shows.  To do that, you would have know the play call, the hot read, the order of progression on the play, the coverage, etc.  Just because you see a guy open on film does not in anyway equate to "we have designed plays to get Cook the ball in open space in the pass game".  You say a lot of disrespectful and smart a** responses in your replies for no reason, but you keep just flat out making claims you can't possibly make and saying things that are just not accurate. 

Are there plays where Allen had opportunities to get Cook the ball and didn't see him, or the pass pro broke down and forced Allen elsewhere, etc etc...sure...but again, none of that means it was a play design to scheme Cook open and that Cook was the focus of the play but Allen went rogue and ignored it.  Other teams make the RB a priority in the pass game, a focal point to get them the ball.  We have yet to do that with Cook despite the fact the whole reason we drafted Cook was to be that kind of weapon for us.  

If you want to discuss things...then great...Im all for it, differing opinions and all.  But if you want to pompous with weak attempts to flex your "knowledge" is better than everyone else schtick then try elsewhere cuz it ain't landing here. 

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus, no need to be this pompus and dense.  I have already answered this question.

LMAO...this is a ridiculous reply.  You are categorically wrong about what the "purpose" of us running 12 personnel for us is supposed to be...I don't know what else to tell you.  They did NOT trade up in the first to draft Kincaid so he and Knox could "draw guys in" to get 1 on 1 matchups on the outside for Diggs who is hardly ever going to see a 1 on 1 regardless and Davis who scares no one and produces 1-3 catches a game in the majority of his games.  If you can't understand that Kincaid was drafted...traded up for...to be a receiving weapon then there is no reason to keep talking about this.  

I mean Beane literally said "he wasn't drafted to block"..."its more like 11.5 personnell" with Kincaid a big slot...etc etc.  If you want to reply with this ridiculous comment "Beane isn't a coach" and not even realize that all you are doing is furthering my original point about how Dorsey is NOT utilizing the mismatches and advantages correctly that Kincaid and even Knox provide in that formation, then I don't know what to tell you and no need to keep discussing it.

Here we go...the absolute waste of time "Season Total" stats that literally provide NO CONTEXT what so ever of week to week involvement or production.  Its comical to see you say watch the tape, when clearly you are not and just trying to use stats to manipulate the stance.  

if you think Davis is a quality WR2 then I don't know what to tell you.  And I was a guy who was once again high on him after his strong camp and contract year.  But you don't seem to understand enough about WR's to evaluate them correctly.  Because if you did, you would see a guy in Davis who struggles on routes that don't have straight line cuts or rounded routes.  I don't care if he is a good blocker, we are NOT a power running team, we are an air it out offense and he isn't doing enough week to week to justify 96% of the snaps, and that is true his whole career.

You wan to look at stats...go check is poor career catch rate.  Go check how many 100 yard games he has had during his first 3 seasons.  Go check how many games he has under 50 yards.  Go check how many games he has 3 catches or less.  Go check how many games he barely registers an impact.  Go check how many games we literally lost where he had a key drop that might have changed the outcome of the game.  

I could care less about the meaningless end of year totals.  He will have one big game, a few decent games and a bunch of duds.  That is Davis.  His "Big Game Davis" name is not accurate, its ironic because it only happens like once a year.  In 7 playoff games he has 2 good games (KC and Miami last year).  

Disagree.

That is rich coming from a guy who thinks we traded up for a TE after signing a TE to $50M contract so we could run 12 personnel to get 1 on 1's on the outside with a guy who still won't get 1 on 1's and a guy who doesn't produce when he gets 1 on 1.    

LMAO...guess the offense is perfect then.  

PS:  No...No...No it hasn't.  We had SEVEN points midway through the 4th quarter against Jags and lowly Giants.  We had a terrible 2nd half against the Jets too.  That is not in anyway "unstoppable" in the 2nd half.  For a guy who keeps telling me I know nothing about football and need to watch the games, you sure seem to have a lot of stuff wrong.  

Stop.  You don't have a clue to what the film shows.  To do that, you would have know the play call, the hot read, the order of progression on the play, the coverage, etc.  Just because you see a guy open on film does not in anyway equate to "we have designed plays to get Cook the ball in open space in the pass game".  You say a lot of disrespectful and smart a** responses in your replies for no reason, but you keep just flat out making claims you can't possibly make and saying things that are just not accurate. 

Are there plays where Allen had opportunities to get Cook the ball and didn't see him, or the pass pro broke down and forced Allen elsewhere, etc etc...sure...but again, none of that means it was a play design to scheme Cook open and that Cook was the focus of the play but Allen went rogue and ignored it.  Other teams make the RB a priority in the pass game, a focal point to get them the ball.  We have yet to do that with Cook despite the fact the whole reason we drafted Cook was to be that kind of weapon for us.  

If you want to discuss things...then great...Im all for it, differing opinions and all.  But if you want to pompous with weak attempts to flex your "knowledge" is better than everyone else schtick then try elsewhere cuz it ain't landing here. 

Pompous lol. Coming from the guy who says he has all the answers and is trying to tell the professional football coach what to do. I just don't know how many ways I can say you don't know what you're talking about 🤷‍♂️. Sorry for hurting your feelings though.

Edited by HoofHearted

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Really it was his fault his QB was dumb and tan the ball to end the half? Or his fault an obvious PI wasn’t called?  I mean he had his backup 1 play away from beating the Bills..

You have 1 play...literally one final play from the ONE yard line.  No time for more than 1 play, just a single play.  You can run or pass in this situation and your starting QB is out.  

Lets see...maybe put the ball in the hands of your best player in Saquan.  Bills were allowing a poor YPC to running backs all season and were missing their best run stuffer in Jones and their all-pro LB in Milano.  You also just paid Barkley because he is the most important player on your offense.  Not running Barkley there was dumber than the not running Lynch on first down in the SB and throwing it instead for an INT to end the game.  

And if you are going to pass...why are you not taking advantage of Tyrods ability to run by rolling him out and seeing if he has a throw or maybe can run it in if not?  Daboll put the game and the ball in the hands of a backup QB who hasn't played a meaningful game in years and was never a great passer when in his prime and doesn't have great vision to drop back and fire.  

But Daboll is allergic to doing the smart thing, and prefers the tricky. And it has cost his teams wins in the past just like it cost him a win against the Bills.  And as far as the first half goes...again you have a backup QB in who hasn't played a meaningful game in years.   The coaches called an option there where the QB had the option to call out of it into a run.  They should have made it clear to TT that optioning to the run was not an option, TT isn't a coach, it is not his job to clock manage.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I literally pointed out all the things that are factually wrong about what you said and that is your reply.  Cool story bro

You still have provided zero evidence to back your stances. Can't describe scheme. Can't understand scheme and how it affects the other side of the ball. You have no awareness as to what we are doing as an offense to attack defenses, and no awareness as to what defenses are doing to us. Without any of that I don't know how you can come up with any solutions. All you've done is say a bunch of words that don't mean a whole lot at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

You still have provided zero evidence to back your stances. Can't describe scheme. Can't understand scheme and how it affects the other side of the ball. You have no awareness as to what we are doing as an offense to attack defenses, and no awareness as to what defenses are doing to us. Without any of that I don't know how you can come up with any solutions. All you've done is say a bunch of words that don't mean a whole lot at the end of the day.

Except I did, but it doesn't land when you don't understand or know as much as you think you do.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except I did, but it doesn't land when you don't understand or know as much as you think you do.  

Isn't he a D1 defensive coordinator? Not chiming in on this argument but from following his posts this year and watching the film of the plays he talks about it definitely seems like he's got a next level understanding even compared to Erik Turner etc.

25 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Isn't he a D1 defensive coordinator? Not chiming in on this argument but from following his posts this year and watching the film of the plays he talks about it definitely seems like he's got a next level understanding even compared to Erik Turner etc.

I honestly have no idea what he does or doesn't do for a living or what kind of analysis or posts he has made previously as I can't recall seeing any other posts by him.  All I can go on is what he said here, and for no reason he started with unnecessary personal digs from the get go and through his rants managed to say things that not only do I disagree with, but some were just factually wrong.  

So regardless of what his alleged profession is, all I can go on is what was said here and my replies are solely based on what was said here, and based on that I stand by what I said and disagreed with.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Not a fan of Dorsey or the excuses he gets...but since the odds of him being replaced in season are so low, this is to focus on what he and the offense need to do to turn this thing around.  And with the injuries on Defense, we absolutely need the offense to be better.  This is ALSO assuming no trades, just working with what we have.   

Well its not rocket science even though it seems hard for Dorsey to figure out who honestly just feels out of his depth right now from a coaching perspective.  So let me help him out...

1. TURN JOSH ALLEN LOOSE! - This whole over correction after the Jets game is just as bad as the Jets game was.  
    1. Josh did NOT need to run less...he needed to take less hits.  
    2. Josh did NOT need to run less...we needed less called runs off the snap up the middle like a FB into the teeth of the defense.
    3. Josh did NOT need to run less...he needed to be smarter and not fight for extra meaningless yards once he made the play.
    4. The bottom line is that this was a MAJOR part of the NIGHTMARES that DC's had to defend against because he made you pay and pay bad when you didn't account for it.  Taking this out of his game has made Dorsey vanilla offense even easier to defend and its taken away Superman's cape to a degree.  Josh is more hesitant than I have ever seen him and it's because he is playing in a way to fight his own instincts.  When you have a talent as special as him, you live with the good and the bad because the good SUBSTANTIALLY out weights the bad.  
  2. SCRAP THE OVERUSE OF 12 PERSONNEL! - If we are not going to use the 12 personnel to put a ton of pressure on the defense and take advantage of mismatches, then STOP running it so much.  You are not Belichick, you have no clue how to utilize this to our advantage so stop over using it until you figure out how to make defenses pay with it.
  3. REDUCE DAVIS SNAP DOMINANCE! - There is absolutely no reason for Davis to have the most snaps on offense (96%), especially when he is producing so little with it.  
    1. Shakir is starting to earn more trust with the coaches and he is making key plays when given chances to do so.  His snap % has gone up every week since week 1 where it started at 10% and was 34% week 7.  HOWEVER...Davis snap counts are NOT going down, that means we are still limiting the other personnel to keep Davis on the field more.
    2. We need more snaps that have BOTH Shakir and Kincaid on the field more.  Let Shakir work the slot short stuff so Kincaid can hit the seem, midfield, etc and put more pressure on the defense.  Right now, Kincaid is seeing too much short underneath stuff and that is not what we drafted him for.  
  4. PUT JOSH UNDER CENTER MORE! - Geezus Dorsey, are you the only person who watches football that hasn't seen the significantly higher level of success and production when Josh is under center vs the shotgun????  
  5. STOP RUNNING SO MUCH OUT OF SHOTGUN! - As I already said above, this offense is so much better with Allen under center, and the play action has been a major weapon of this offense.  So start lining up under center and running the ball from there too so it only further helps sell the play action even more.  
  6. STUDY PHILLY QB SNEAK TUSH PUSH! - How are we not literally doing the same thing with Josh?  Yes we ran some sneaks, but they are not as good as Philly's and we don't do it often enough.  It should be a major weapon in our offense and practically immediate goto play with 1.5 yards to go or less.  
  7. MORE QUICK STRIKE READS! - Josh Allen again on Sunday was night and day better on drop backs where the ball came out quickly.  And I know there is more that goes into it than just saying more quick strike reads (guys got to get open, OL needs to do its part, Josh needs to make the right read, etc).  But its pretty easy to tell when that wasn't the type of call, like when Josh makes a deep drop and then you can see the first looks are downfield which take longer to develop.  
  8. THROW TO JAMES COOK! - There is no reason or excuse where James Cook shouldn't get at least 5 targets in a game.  Cook should be getting 18+ touches a game between running and receiving.  And despite being drafted to be a receiving weapon, Dorsey just isn't getting him involved enough in that area.

I mean, this isn't rocket science.  It doesn't take a professional GM or OC to look at the tape and literally see Josh playing like he has some sort of speed restrictor on his gas pedal out there.  Don't get me wrong, taking what the D gives him is something Josh needed to be better about rather than always trying to buy time to find big chunk plays.  However, there has been a gross over correction now, especially in regards to Josh using his legs to make plays.  And honestly, go watch Allen highlights, its those plays where he runs someone over, stiff arms someone, etc etc that you will see Josh the most fired up.  He feeds off those moments and it brings him to another gear few players have.

#Alpha4OC 😎🤪😂

I mean I gotta say this is proving pretty spot on for the most part with how this game has played out, including Dorsey’s goal line stupidity of not sneaking it.  

Maybe Dorsey does read my threads 😂😂😂

#Alpha4OC 😎😜💪

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Imagine that, running a 6’5” QB works?????

I literally can not believe he again on 3rd and the goal line ran it out of shotgun with Murray and lost yards.  Like how does he justify this???

And this time he didn’t get bailed out with a 4th down TD.  And it almost cost us the game.  

And it’s dumb things like this that over shadow other positive adjustments, although I have to wonder that if Knox was not hurt would we have seen these other changes still? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.