TV Broadcast Maps and Schedule - NFL Week 3 2023 (September 24)

chongli

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Is it called a "fixture" in British English?

I'm not British, but I believe that league games are called fixtures because they are on a fixed schedule. This is opposed to cup ties or other tournament games which are played in a tournament format so you don't know who you're playing before the season starts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'm not British, but I believe that league games are called fixtures because they are on a fixed schedule. This is opposed to cup ties or other tournament games which are played in a tournament format so you don't know who you're playing before the season starts.

Awesome... makes sense to me! [And if you're in France (? or maybe your user name refers to the Sabres), you would know more than most Americans].

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Is it called a "fixture" in British English?

Fixtures tend to be a collective of games. A bit like you guys would call a “schedule”. Can be used for a single game though. The English language for you! 

Fixtures as in they’ve been set. 

A “match” might be more a appropriate word.

Edited by BritBill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Fixtures tend to be a collective of games. A bit like you guys would call a “schedule”. Can be used for a single game though. The English language for you! 

Fixtures as in they’ve been set. 

A “match” might be more a appropriate word.

British English words and usage are cool and I am always learning. Terms like "brillo", "ladder", "pond", and "f*g" (bad word in American English) I learned in college, but things like the aforementioned "fixture", "TV listings", and "BST" I just learned.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

British English words and usage are cool and I am always learning. Terms like "brillo", "ladder", "pond", and "f*g" (bad word in American English) I learned in college, but things like the aforementioned "fixture", "TV listings", and "BST" I just learned.

Brillo?! That’s a new one on me! 🤣

I’d probably use “tele” instead of “TV”. Of course, there’s a lot of regional language differences within the UK as well. Even with it being so small. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.