Should Frank Reich make the Wall of Fame?

No, it was for the AFC East Championship on 12/23/1990.  That game was won by Thurman and defense.

348922[/snapback]

That was a regular season game week 16. The Reich-led victory clinched home field advantage. They finished the regular season the following week with a loss at Washington. Gale Gilbert had two TD passes to Steve Tasker.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly played the AFC Championship game.  I affectionately call it "The Screen Game" because we absolutely shredded the Fish with them the entire game (especially to KD).  It was also the basis for beating them in the playoffs the following year with a ton of end arounds and wrinkles off screen looks.  Shula's last game and the vexed look on Olividatti's face was awesome.

348901[/snapback]

Wasn't "The Screen Game" in Jan '93 ('92 season AFC Championship)? The end-around, Derrick Holmes/Tim Tindale thrashing (aka Shula's last game) was in the first round of the '95 playoffs (Jan '96).

Wasn't "The Screen Game" in Jan '93 ('92 season AFC Championship)?  The end-around, Derrick Holmes/Tim Tindale thrashing (aka Shula's last game) was in the first round of the '95 playoffs (Jan '96).

349016[/snapback]

I don't know. All the good memories run together because they were so long ago.

I believe the Dolphins game you're thinking of took place in 1990.  It wasn't a playoff game, but it was close.  The winner of the game would be clinch the division title.  It was a week after Kelly got hurt on the road against the Giants.  Reich led Buffalo to a 24-14 win I believe...

Thanks in part to Ray Charles and Diet Pepsi, "You Got the Reich One Baby" became a pretty popular catchphrase around this time.

348917[/snapback]

Still have a T shirt from that game.Bought it on the way in. On the front its got "Do the Reich Thing", a referance to the movie, and on the back has got "Faith in Frank".

But no, do not believe he belongs on the wall.

Seriously?

No.

348619[/snapback]

What he said.

Nah, I'll be a bit more long-winded than that - easy to do, since I'm just ripping off an earlier quote of mine from the last time this was discussed:

Metzelaars and Reich had their moments in the spotlight -- heck, we'll love Frank forever for the Comeback game -- but they were complementary players at best. And when compared to some of the earlier players still waiting to be honored, I can't realistically see putting either Frank or Pete on the Wall.

I fully expect both to receive the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Distinguished Service Award at some point, though.

Wall of Fame poll

I've been a Bills fan since the '60s. No matter where I've lived, the Bills were and are my team. I think the Wall should be reserved for the extremely elite few Bills who weren't just good, but who were among the very best ever, anywhere. IMHO, five of the names mentioned above should be on the Wall (in no particular order): Butch Byrd, Lou Saban, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith and Steve Tasker. Each of these men transcended the rest. They were extremely good, not just for the Bills, but they were among the greatest ever in the game at their respective positions/jobs.

The only others I'd consider are Cookie Gilchrist and Bill Polian.

I'm a big fan of virtually all of the rest and they were all very fine players--- but not among the best anywhere, ever.

As for Reich, a great leader, a clutch performer and, from all I've heard, an extremely good and moral man---but, not a great Bills player except for one unbelievable game.

I think if Jim Richter goes up there, the man behind center for the greatest comeback in NFL History should definitely go too.

349529[/snapback]

Jim Ritcher played more games than anyone in Buffalo BILLS history. He's FAR more deserving than Frank Reich. Not sure I'm catching your parallel.

And he's such a humble guy I doubt he'd accept that honor if it was bestowed upon him. Frank might have been a "career backup" but he also could have left the Bills for a starting job during the early 90's. He might not be wall material, but if you have sons, you want them to grow up and act like Frank Reich.

348578[/snapback]

Frank was not starter material.

Too bad since he was the exact opposite of Bledsoe.

Strong intellect, good decision making and totally understood what to do on the field.

However, his arm and body couldn't deliver the goods over the long haul.

No way does he deserve to be on the wall.

I believe the Dolphins game you're thinking of took place in 1990.  It wasn't a playoff game, but it was close.  The winner of the game would be clinch the division title.  It was a week after Kelly got hurt on the road against the Giants.  Reich led Buffalo to a 24-14 win I believe...

Thanks in part to Ray Charles and Diet Pepsi, "You Got the Reich One Baby" became a pretty popular catchphrase around this time.

348917[/snapback]

Reich didn't lead Buffalo to a win as much as he stayed out of Thurman's way.

But at least he didn't bungle the ball and commit costly turnovers.

C'mon! Give the man some props. When you are at the stadium this weekend watching the Comeback highlight tape take 10 seconds and ask God to give Frank guidance in his new job as President of his seminary. Your thoughts and prayers he'll appreciate more than wanting his name on the Wall of Fame.

348917[/snapback]

Whoops, you're right. That was also the game where Tim McKyer said "The Bills without Jim Kelly are like a hand without a thumb." Oops. Two weeks later, in the divisional round, McKyer said "I challenge Jim Kelly to throw my way," and on the first drive of the game Kelly beat McKyer with a TD to Lofton. :lol:

So much yapping out of the Dolphins back then. But Steve Tasker had the ultimate response after one of those games: "Don't write a check with your mouth that your body can't cash."

Reich didn't lead Buffalo to a win as much as he stayed out of Thurman's way.

But at least he didn't bungle the ball and commit costly turnovers.

349546[/snapback]

Actually he did in the first or second series...

C'mon! Give the man some props. When you are at the stadium this weekend watching the Comeback highlight tape take 10 seconds and ask God to give Frank guidance in his new job as President of his seminary. Your thoughts and prayers he'll appreciate more than wanting his name on the Wall of Fame.

349578[/snapback]

I'll give him props. I think is one of the classiest guys that ever played in a Bills uniform. He probably was a big reason that Kelly was so successful. But a backup quarterback is not WOF material.