Favorite way to make ribs

Joe Ferguson forever

5 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife won’t order steak anymore when we go out. She says the BEST she can hope for is something about as good as what we do at home (sous vide). And you don’t always get that lucky. You can have a great meal and save a fortune at home on both the meat and the wine. 🍷 

I think steakhouses are way too expensive.  Morton's and such. Go to a butchers for a nice cut, buy a nice bottle and light the fire...

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Have a 1 lb ribeye from local butcher in the sous vide right not.  Will finish by searing and butter basting in a hot cast iron pan (looking for crust finish) rest for 5-10 minutes. Potatoes rubbed in olive oil are baking. Then adding a side salad.  If we went out somewhere this would be $100+ easily for the two of us.  Significantly less money to do it at home.   

Once your steak has finished cooking throw the bag in an ice bath for a few minutes before searing.  Going straight from the bath to the cast iron doesn't give you much of a window to get that perfect steakhouse crust without going past your desired temp.   A couple of minutes in an ice bath usually gives me 4 minutes to get a perfect crust.  I go 1 minute per side then flip every 30 seconds.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Once your steak has finished cooking throw the bag in an ice bath for a few minutes before searing.  Going straight from the bath to the cast iron doesn't give you much of a window to get that perfect steakhouse crust without going past your desired temp.   A couple of minutes in an ice bath usually gives me 4 minutes to get a perfect crust.  I go 1 minute per side then flip every 30 seconds.

Thank you for this because I ended up with medium vs medium rare finish.  I thought the cut was thick enough to avoid this outcome.  Your technique will be more likely to achieve the intended result. I tried to get there by dropping the sous vide temp knowing internal temp would rise with finishing.

18 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I think steakhouses are way too expensive.  Morton's and such. Go to a butchers for a nice cut, buy a nice bottle and light the fire...

We’ll be over but we don’t need any sort of romantic fire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 1:09 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Have a 1 lb ribeye from local butcher in the sous vide right now.  Will finish by searing and butter basting in a hot cast iron pan (looking for crust finish) rest for 5-10 minutes. Potatoes rubbed in olive oil are baking. Then adding a side salad.  If we went out somewhere this would be $100+ easily for the two of us.  Significantly less money to do it at home.   

On the edge of my seat, well, a few weeks later.  How did it turn out?

On 2/11/2024 at 10:28 PM, TheCockSportif said:

On the edge of my seat, well, a few weeks later.  How did it turn out?

Really good but..lessons learned…

Lesson #1

As Jauronimo said, ice bath after sous vide because it ended up a touch overdone after searing and butter basting. 

Lesson #2

Don’t get old and go in for an annual physical if you want to eat this way. Doc said to cut down on dietary cholesterol as I am borderline high.  Aging sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

I've done smoker, grill, oven...all have turned out well. However a few years ago I came across a recipe for doing them in an Instapot/pressure cooker and have been doing them that way since. When they come out of the pressure cooker I sauce 'em up and throw them on the grill for just a few minutes to give them some char and bake in the sauce. Delicious. Just fast and easy, still captures a ton of flavor, and way less hassle, which is good for an old guy like me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.