Losing your NFL team

RVJ

no body is moving to LA.

All these teams that want to extort new stadiums paid for by the public by threatening to move to LA

The networks are better off without a home team in LA. A home team will generate TV black outs and severely limit the networks current flexibility in televising the best match ups each week in the nations #2 TV market.

Extortion is OK if sanctioned by professional sports :doh:

You know if Congress really wants to get involved in sports, instead of holding Steroid hearings, how about protecting fans and cities from getting their teams ripped away from them? KC does NOT deserve to lose the Chiefs, any more than Buffalo desrves to lose the Bills.

PTR

no body is moving to LA.

All these teams that want to extort new stadiums paid for by the public by threatening to move to LA

The networks are better off without a home team in LA. A home team will generate TV black outs and severely limit the networks current flexibility in televising the best match ups each week in the nations #2 TV market.

Extortion is OK if sanctioned by professional sports :doh:

347964[/snapback]

i think it's quite clear that the NFL wants a team in LA..........only a matter of time until they get their wish........here is hoping it's not the bills........

i think it's quite clear that the NFL wants a team in LA..........only a matter of time until they get their wish........here is hoping it's not the bills........

Indeed!

348055[/snapback]

why is it quite clear-

because of the propaganda they put out for teams to use in extortion bids to upgrade their stadiums?

Since TV has no incentive to place a franchise in LA, why does the league need a team there?

They have already had 2 teams fail in LA

348055[/snapback]

Speak for yourself.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome YOUR Los Angeles Bills of Buffalo!!!!!!!"

why is it quite clear-

because of the propaganda they put out for teams to use in extortion bids to upgrade their stadiums?

Since TV has no incentive to place a franchise in LA, why does the league need a team there?

They have already had 2 teams fail in LA

348137[/snapback]

it is quite clear:

"The National Football League would like to have a team back in Los Angeles by 2008" -- Paul Tagliabue

propoganda? i disagree.......i think there is geniune interest from both sides, and once the labor agreement gets sorted out this will again by the #1 issue for NFL owners........there are always markets that want NFL teams, and just because LA gets a team does not mean other locations cannot be used as "exotortion bids"........rumours are there regardless.......

there is a TV incentive to place a franchise in LA.........it's the 2nd biggest market and can't be ignored.......placing a team in LA will increase interest in the game for that area and ultimately drive better ratings due to fan identity with THEIR team.......

it is quite clear:

"The National Football League would like to have a team back in Los Angeles by 2008" -- Paul Tagliabue

propoganda?  i disagree.......i think there is geniune interest from both sides, and once the labor agreement gets sorted out this will again by the #1 issue for NFL owners........there are always markets that want NFL teams, and just because LA gets a team does not mean other locations cannot be used as "exotortion bids"........rumours are there regardless.......

there is a TV incentive to place a franchise in LA.........it's the 2nd biggest market and can't be ignored.......placing a team in LA will increase interest in the game for that area and ultimately drive better ratings due to fan identity with THEIR team.......

348175[/snapback]

Yeah, because it worked for the Raiders and Rams, right? :rolleyes:

No doubt the NFL wants a team in LA. Whether the people of LA want a team or not is a different story. Seems that if LA really wanted a team, they could have easily edged out Houston during the last expansion. The local support was just not there.

it is quite clear:

348175[/snapback]

The networks will be actually be hurt by having a home team in LA.

As has been proven with 2 prior teams, the locals will not support the team and the networks will be forced to black out games in that #2 TV market. Doesn't sound like an improvement over the current situation where the networks have complete discretion to pick the very best matchup each week to televise in that #2 market.

There is much more value to the NFL in not having a team in LA so teams can extort multi-millions for new stadiums.

The NFL wants a team in L.A. but I don't think they want an existing team to move there. So much nicer to charge BIG $ to some fool. The owners can split  the $ among themselves rather than let one take the market for free.

348290[/snapback]

NFL is unlikely to expand past 32 teams.

With the LA market open, they made a commitment to the schedule for the next 10 years, which was a big break from the year to year process they had been using and would have continued if they planned on expanding.