Montana becomes the first state to ban TikTok

Punching Bag

https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/1176805559/montana-becomes-the-first-state-to-ban-tiktok

Gov. Greg Gianforte signed Senate Bill 419 on Wednesday, saying he wants to protect the state's residents' private information from being compromised. He pointed to the Chinese government as a potential threat.

"The Chinese Communist Party using TikTok to spy on Americans, violate their privacy, and collect their personal, private, and sensitive information is well-documented," Gov. Gianforte said.

According to the measure in Montana, platforms that offer the app on their marketplaces, such as the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, will be subjected to fines up to $10,000 a day for violations.

This sounds like an easy way for a state to raise money even if there are restrictions like it was purchased by buyer while in state of Montana.  How are App Stores going to prevent people from taking devices INTO Montana.

President Biden signed legislation banning the app from government devices last December, and has been considering an all-out ban if TikTok's parent company ByteDance, cannot find an American buyer. The U.S. and its "Five Eyes" security partners — Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom — ban TikTok from federal government devices, citing national security concerns.

I wonder if they will ban other Chinese apps?  I have one on my phone I occasionally use to get communications from family in Hong Kong.

Inb4 ppp

Also, this is stupid. It will be overruled hopefully. And the law changed that those who have tictoc have the tattoo on their head so we know. This will allow myself and many others to view them as they should - maroons.

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Inb4 ppp

Also, this is stupid. It will be overruled hopefully. And the law changed that those who have tictoc have the tattoo on their head so we know. This will allow myself and many others to view them as they should - maroons.

[note to self, don't ask Boyst if he wants to be in my TikTok at the opener] 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 7 months later...

Not my PPP opinion, I feckong hate the concept of social media apps in all their forms.  Worthless agros will be worthless agros, and insecure types will become more insecure.  

Live life, pick flowers, drink beers, do lines off of Gugny's butt-crack if you must, but please keep your child and child-mind off the never-ending high-school pop-up-collar that is social media.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.