NJ Devils?Satanic symbol? Legislator Thinks So.

Hard to believe this guy's from Jersey. The legend of the Jersey Devil has existed for over 265 years and is well known to most long-time residents.

http://njdevilhunters.com/legend.html

I guess New Jersey legislators are like their New York counterparts...too much time on their hands and an emphasis on PR rather than real accomplishments. :)

"I've always cringed when people say they're going to see the Devils," Stanley said. "The merchandise, the paraphernalia is based on the actual demonic devil. Personally, it causes a little bit of an issue with me."

Well, since one legislator is offended, that means everyone else has to become offended as well. NOW! COME ON, PEOPLE! People? <echo> Peo-ple?

Hey, I don't like how Gateway uses that cow. They need to change that. And Travelers with that red umbrella? Nope, that's just not gonna do it for me.

How is this different from Al-Sadr or the Taliban blowing up those rockwall statues five years ago? This is why people who sit in the pulpit on Sundays should stop trying to legislate morality and keep out of politics.

Since the names of the Braves, Indians, and Chiefs apparently offend native American persons, does the name Devils offend Satanists? :doh:

Apparently, the name offends this so-called legislator. I assume there are plenty of other problems in New Jersey that need to be dealt with.

Craig Stanley's actions are nothing but pandering to a certain group. He is taking advantage of an ADD-affected electorate that care more about "Desperate Housewives" than what is happening in our (and it is still OUR, or at least New Jersey's) government.

I could go further:

Does the name Bills offend people named William?

Does the name Sabres offend swords?

Mike

Here's Stanley!

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/stanley.asp

Here's a profile of his district. Sure seems like they have a lot more pressing issues to deal with:

http://www.njvoterinfo.org/dp/district28.html

This district, which includes much of the City of Newark, has the largest African-American population of all 40 legislative districts, with 52.3% of its population as reported in the 2000 US Census.

The district also had the highest total tax rate and highest local tax rate as compared to the assessed valuation of real property. It is the third highest in population density, and the fifth highest in municipal budget spending per capita.

School performance as measured by standard state student tests administered in 2001 and 2000 also ranks next to last among the 40 districts despite high levels of state financial aid. The district is strongly Democratic, with 38 percent of registered voters compared to 10 percent Republicans in 2001.

Yes, I agree, the New Jersey Devils are demonic! They play a brutal style of hockey, that is painful to watch!

Oh, the logo? This kind of garbage has been going on for a while. I haven't lived in WNY for some time, but I heard that my high school, Kenmore West, dropped their "Blue Devils" nickname a few years ago, because of its' demonic implications. :doh: