Lindsey Lohan hits rock bottom

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, there isn't a lick of real difference between a show like Lost and an NFL game...except the guys on your screen on Sunday make more money than the ones your screen on Wed night.

347422[/snapback]

Are they both entertainment? Sure.

But to say they're both the same thing at the end of the day is like saying having sex with Ella McPherson on Tuesday and sex with the pixie fairy on Wednesday is the exact same thing because at the end of the day, you got !@#$ed.

Say what you want to justify pinning a thread about a TV show on a Bills message board, but please don't compare it to football because at the end of the day it says you either really, really, really love your TV show, or you have no respect, understanding or appreciation for what it takes to play the game of football.

The same things, indeed.

But to say they're both the same thing at the end of the day is like saying having sex with Ella McPherson on Tuesday and sex with the pixie fairy on Wednesday is the exact same thing because at the end of the day, you got !@#$ed.

Say what you want to justify pinning a thread about a TV show on a Bills message board, but please don't compare it to football because at the end of the day it says you either really, really, really love your TV show, or you have no respect, understanding or appreciation for what it takes to play the game of football.

The same things, indeed.

347439[/snapback]

Hmmm, do we have a picture of this pixie fairy? It very well may be the same thing.

.except the guys on your screen on Sunday make more money than the ones your screen on Wed night.

347422[/snapback]

Not necessarily... Plenty of top-ranked actors (read: actors on very popular shows) make more than professional atheltes. They can also act longer than athletes can compete.

CW

The same things, indeed.

347439[/snapback]

What do you hope to get out of watching a football game? For your team to win. To watch talented people performing at their highest levels. Or, in simplier forms, to be entertained. Whether or not the Bills win or not, it does not have an impact at all on your life (unless you're a betting man).

When you watch TV or movies, what do you hope to get out of it? The same thing, for your characters to win or lose, to see talented people (writers, directors, actors) performing at the highest level to create something that resonates and takes you away for a couple hours. Whether or not Indiana Jones saves the day or falls on his face, it does not have an impact at all on your life. Like sports, it's entertainment.

Both enterprises are equally difficult, albeit they flex different muscles. To say football (or sports) is MORE important than any other form of television simply because it's physical is just as assanine as someone trying to say a movie is more important than a football game because it's harder to write a good movie than it is to catch a ball.

At the end of the day, there is no difference. It's all about what moves you. If it's sports, fantastic. If it's a good movie, just the same. At the end of the day all you are getting is a few hours of entertainment.

I understand what it takes to play football (or any sports) and understand what it takes to act/direct/write etc...to do either well is increadibly hard, but both serve the same purpose.

As for McPherson or the Pixie Fairy, hey, Puy's Puy :)

What do you hope to get out of watching a football game? For your team to win. To watch talented people performing at their highest levels. Or, in simplier forms, to be entertained. Whether or not the Bills win or not, it does not have an impact at all on your life (unless you're a betting man).
The Bills losing the first Super Bowl absolutely, positively affected my life. I was pissed at the world for about two months, I refused to read the sports section of any publication for six months, and I can honestly say I was overcome with a very sad, sinking, pit-of-my-stomach-I-hate-the-fuggin-world-and-the-world-hates-me feeling for well over a month. To this day I still can not understand how some of those players were able to lose that game, board a plane, and play in the Pro Bowl.

Alternately, I was a bit upset when M*A*S*H ended.

I don't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars over the course of a lifetime for a specific TV show or movie like I do for a specific sport and team. If I'm disappointed in the performance of a movie and realize it won't make it to the big show, be it the Emmys or Oscars, it does not make Monday morning miserable like a season-ending game vs. Pittsburgh that keeps us out of the playoffs.

This game and this team absolutely, positively, without question affect my life.

At the end of the day, there is no difference. It's all about what moves you. If it's sports, fantastic. If it's a good movie, just the same. At the end of the day all you are getting is a few hours of entertainment.
That's probably where we just see it differently. You clearly are able to boil your football team down to a couple of hours of entertainment that don't mean any more to you than a decent TV show. The sport and the team means more to me than that. Much more. Doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. Just different levels of appreciation for the Bills.

As for McPherson or the Pixie Fairy, hey, Puy's Puy :)

347510[/snapback]

Dude...one's a chick and one's a guy. But hey, if that's irrelevant to you, there's nothing wrong with that. :lol:

The same things, indeed.

347439[/snapback]

Give me a break. I guarantee 95% of football players would choose to play another sport if the had the ability. Football is barbaric entertainment.

Give me a break. I guarantee 95% of football players would choose to play another sport if the had the ability. Football is barbaric entertainment.

347657[/snapback]

I can guarantee you 95% of the people in this world would choose to be doing something else if they had the ability. What was your point?

347657[/snapback]

No one wants to admit it, but that has to be true.

Baseball, basketball, golf, etc. don't destroy your body the way football does.

I'm sure they're all glad they aren't boxers, though.

Don't follow the link unless you have a strong stomach, and even if you do, make sure you're sitting down.

Lindsey Lohan destroys her once great body

Anorexia is a B word.

She used to look like this

346993[/snapback]

Unless anorexia is the new name for white flake, I think you're missing the point. Same for the Olson girl, the place she was in rehab didn't do eating disorders...just substance abuse.

I can guarantee you 95% of the people in this world would choose to be doing something else if they had the ability. What was your point?

347668[/snapback]

Football is entertainment. It's nothing more than a five month drama involving characters that we only know from the girdiron. If the players could choose I guarantee they be playing a sport that would give them more than a few years and without the 70% chance of sustaining an injury that could permanently cripple them.

Football is entertainment. It's nothing more than a five month drama involving characters that we only know from the girdiron. If the players could choose I guarantee they be playing a sport that would give them more than a few years and without the 70% chance of sustaining an injury that could permanently cripple them.

348002[/snapback]

I'm not arguing with that point, and I'm not sure where it fits into the dialogue, but my argument here is that football is not entertainment like a TV show is entertainment. There is no way a pre-programmed, mind-numbing, formulaic dialogue that results in a laugh or overly dramatic sequence you can see coming from a hundred miles away is even remotely close to a football game.

And the primary difference comes down to how you feel about it. For those of you who can boil it down to simple entertainment with no more meaning to you than a good episode of an 18-minute sitcom with 12 minutes of commercials, I say "Congratulations. I wish I could do the same, but I can't. I just don't have time to spend on a 'Family Guy' message board where you're all discussing how upset you are about the show not being seen because of a car race exactly like you discuss how upset you are that we selected a 175-pound wide receiver with our first pick in the draft."

Saying the NFL (and consequently, the Bills) are no different than a sitcom and nothing more than entertainment is like saying the NYCBBs are just a bunch of people getting together every week to watch TV.

I just don't have time to spend on a 'Family Guy' message board where you're all discussing how upset you are about the show not being seen because of a car race exactly like you discuss how upset you are that we selected a 175-pound wide receiver with our first pick in the draft."

I contemplated pointing out that, in essence, you are discussing the very thing you said you didn't have time to discuss, but then I thought better of it. :doh:

CW

I'm not arguing with that point, and I'm not sure where it fits into the dialogue, but my argument here is that football is not entertainment like a TV show is entertainment. There is no way a pre-programmed, mind-numbing, formulaic dialogue that results in a laugh or overly dramatic sequence you can see coming from a hundred miles away is even remotely close to a football game.

And the primary difference comes down to how you feel about it. For those of you who can boil it down to simple entertainment with no more meaning to you than a good episode of an 18-minute sitcom with 12 minutes of commercials, I say "Congratulations. I wish I could do the same, but I can't. I just don't have time to spend on a 'Family Guy' message board where you're all discussing how upset you are about the show not being seen because of a car race exactly like you discuss how upset you are that we selected a 175-pound wide receiver with our first pick in the draft."

Saying the NFL (and consequently, the Bills) are no different than a sitcom and nothing more than entertainment is like saying the NYCBBs are just a bunch of people getting together every week to watch TV.

348015[/snapback]

I hear what you are saying and agree with you. I get more involved with Bills games than I probably should. Like you, it impacts me emotionally and would rather watch a Bills game than a sitcom.

The point I was getting at though (like you said) at the end of the day, it's all the same thing. It's all entertainment.

HOWEVER, it's about what moves you. We have to respect the people who are more moved by a movie or a TV show than a football team. Just as they should respect those who are more passionate about sports than film. Because in the end, both sides are enjoying the same thing -- entertainment, albeit in different formats.

I enjoy Star Wars, but you'd never catch me going to a convention dressed as a Storm Trooper. However, I'm sure there are tons of people at those Star Wars conventions that would never be caught dead going to the Ralph sporting a Lossman Jersey. Both sides make fun of the other for the same thing...that is what drives me nuts (I'm not saying you are making fun of people LA, just trying to make my point).

People just elevate their chosen form(s) of entertainment and look down upon all other forms as being inferior...and that always cracks me up because it is so ridiculous.